Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wat do you guys use to clean the dash in your mk4's, its a plasticy leather material not sure wat to clean it with? Ive just been wiping it with a cloth but i want to make it shine, wat you guys use?

cheers

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I use Armour-all wipes.

Nice and cheap and you don't need to worry about cloths as the cloths are pre-impregnated in Armour-all.

Looks very shiny for a day (which I don't like) but then dulls down. You can of course wipe it over with a dry cloth when you apply initially apply it and it won't then be shiny at all.

I'm sure there are some far more expensive and better products out there, but the Armour-all stuff works just fine for me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was gonna say just use a damp cloth or you'll ruin the matt finish. Obviously not what you wanna hear. [:I]

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ye i think ill go with mr sheen too, i sprayed some dash cleaner on it a while a go & it sort of made it darker in one area & wouldnt come out but now after a few months its just faded away :)

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I use a drop of zymol car shampoo in warm water and a sponge to clean the dash and then dry with a microfibre cloth. Leaves a clean MATT finish.

I can't stand a shiny dash, it looks cheap.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
i use my Meguiars Microfiber towel after i have dried the car to wipe over the dash...

comes up lovely...

same principle as a damp cloth i suppose, but being microfibre, it wont damage the surface, also works nicely on the dials.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I use Simoniz Back To Black, you can get it from Halfords, but if you go to a general car shop then you'll get the bigger tin for the same price as you would a regular one from Halfords! Does exactly what it says on the tin! [:D]

·
Registered
437 Posts
The BEST stuff is Halfords own brand dash cleaner/cream.

It comes in Matt or Shiny versions.

The Matt one work brilliantly.

I cannot take credit for it's discovery, it was recommended by someone on here - cannot remember who though.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
seriously try this

wipe all plastic down with a damp chamois and brush all vents with a clean dry paintbrush (this removes all dust properly)

then use armor all LOW GLOSS protectant this will bring the car close to its OEM finish

If you get something too glossy (IE back to black) I think it can look like a badly valeted worn out taxi ........ Sorry

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote: posted by andymac on 03/01/2005 22:16:46

If you get something too glossy (IE back to black) I think it can look like a badly valeted worn out taxi ........ Sorry

Excellent description - i agree.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Simoniz do a very good trim cleaner, come either satin or matt. I use matt as satin looks awefull.

You can buy it from halfords, but they don't seem to have it on their website.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts