Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on giving my EGR Valve and Inlet Manifold a good scrubbing this coming week, but before I start taking bits off I have a couple of questions, as the Haynes manual I have is (as always) a rough guide at best. For the record, I have an ASZ-engined Bora.

The manual mentions several O-Rings and Gaskets in connection with the two parts, but doesn't go into detail, so:

• How many O-rings and gaskets are there?
  • I understand that at least one of the gaskets is metal. Is this true, and again, how many metal gaskets are there?
  • Can any of the o-rings and gaskets be re-used, or do they all need replacing? And if they need replacing, does anyone have part numbers?

Also, does anyone have any hints/tips/tricks for doing the job?

Thanks in advance for any info on the subject.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Manifold gasket i found the stealers kept it in stock.. or maybe i was just lucky..

the rest.. for the sake of a rubber o ring.. and probably the cost of the fuel getting to the other motor factors.. stealers is a good a place as any.

ASZ Inlet manifold PN is: 028 129 717 D

I have it sat in front of me ready to go for when i do the EGR delete [:)]

But i havent got any of the other seals as i shouldnt need them.. Due to deleting the EGR and blanking off the EGR pipe off.

I also intend on using this guide.. altho im sure there are others floating about in the How too and FAQ forum mate..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used this guide about 7 months ago to clean my EGR valve,and it proved to be a very easy and thorough guide to understand and follow. I am going to look at doing the EGR and inlet manifold next weekend,and again I will be using this guide as a quick reference (just took me 3 hrs of searching to find it on here again! Cheers MarkyB!) How did you get on with cleaning yours mate?

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On and off, it took me three days- though most of that was soaking the inlet manifold in diesel to soften the hard-baked crap. Actual work wise... Disassembly, active cleaning (i.e. scrubbing), and reassembly... probably about 12 hours. Though that's with a lot of general fannying around and double (triple) checking.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Im hoping for a 2 day turnaround.. day 1 morning.. getting if all off.. and soaking..

day 2 morning agitating it till its clean.. and on again..

but nothing ever goes to plan.. So i booked 3 days off [:|]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts