Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took all 4 wheels off yesterday & gave them a pre winter clean up.

If you've never taken them off to clean, I can highly recomend doing it, the results are well worth it [Y]

By waxing the inner rim, it should A. make it easier to get the crud off when cleaning in future, & .B seal the paint a little for the winter

Just check out the shine on the inner rim [H] The silver on the outter rim looks like they are spanking new, & nothing like a 75k wheel should look like.

It went like this.............. [au]

Wonder wheels cleaner

Johnsons Baby shampoo

Megs Clay bar

Klasse Sealant Glaze, on both Outter face & inner rims surfaces

Megs endurance tyre gel (outter & inner faces [:$])

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
lookin good jace. i like a guy that looks after his motor, even the bits we cant see. I treated my rials on sunday to a damn good clean (both sides). Dried off then gave the inners 2 coats of wax. They look better than new now.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's might impressive. I'd probably do mine, but I'm a bit
apprehensive when it comes to taking wheels off, and jacking points.

Pity about those calipers though.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Jace whenever I see pics of your cleaning sessions it makes my car feel dirty, off to clean the car now...

btw the wheels look great mate. [y]

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I did this last year on my Monty II's, and it's amazing the result that it produces.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well worth the effort, if you have the time.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Good work Jace, looks spot on!

How much crud did the wonder wheels get rid of and how much was left for the clay?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good work Jace, looks spot on!

How much crud did the wonder wheels get rid of and how much was left for the clay?
The wonder wheels removed most of the surface crud/marks, but the clay still had signs of discolouration, which I guess means it was doing its job [Y]

Its rained quite a few days this week,& plus my usual high weekly milage is making the wheels look quite dirty now, so it should prove interesting come saturday when I clean them how easy they are to clean now [^o)]

As for the Calipers, I know I should get round to painting them [:$]

·
Registered
432 Posts
washed and waxed my RSTT rims in a similar way (well not quite - wonder wheels, polish, zymol wax).  After 4 weeks of motorway running, the front wheels are black, however a quick spongeover and hose down and they sparkle.  Before it would take me hours on the wheels.  I like it cos i'm lazy (once a month wash)

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and the cars lucky if i manage it once a year! [;)]
You should be banned from the Detailing Forum, thats a disgrace [:O]

Or should you be banned from all other areas of the forum, except the Detailing area, so you have it drilled in to you [:p]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Actually there is some logic to that, as it will prevent the inner tyre rubber from crazing and cracking, keeping the inner wall rubber supple. Normally this area is neglected!
First sight of rain and it'll be gone.. tyre dressing is more a superficial thing anyway, it doesn't do an awful lot.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Actually there is some logic to that, as it will prevent the inner tyre rubber from crazing and cracking, keeping the inner wall rubber supple. Normally this area is neglected!
First sight of rain and it'll be gone.. tyre dressing is more a superficial thing anyway, it doesn't do an awful lot.
I use Meguiars tyre gel and it lasts for about 2 weeks, even in rain....doesn't wash off!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts