Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just used a clay bar for the 1st tile & wow!!!! The car looks brand new & the feel of it! (Girl Friend says I need to get a life!) Used all megs products (Wash, dry, clay bar, wash, dry, wax). Sorry haven't got any pics at the mo as my parents have nicked my digital camera to go on holiday with but oh my lord its amazing!! To anyone who hasn't clay bared there car - DO IT!!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Yeah its defo worth doing, if you have never used one and think you paint is clean you will be amazed how much crap comes of.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quick question:

We have 2 golfs. Mine is the 5-month old 2.0 TDI.

The other is an old black X-reg MKIV (for the missus)

Now I know the X-reg would benefit from a good claying. What about my new one? Is it worth claying that? Never used clay before.

Would the clay from Halfords be ok? (Cant remember the brand)

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Quick question:

We have 2 golfs. Mine is the 5-month old 2.0 TDI.

The other is an old black X-reg MKIV (for the missus)

Now I know the X-reg would benefit from a good claying. What about my new one? Is it worth claying that? Never used clay before.

Would the clay from Halfords be ok? (Cant remember the brand)
If your paint feels rough on your new golf then yes you would benifit from it... Also the clay from halfords will be fine and its from the meguairs range... [y]

Sat

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I've just bought a Megs one and i'm going to claybar my car for the first time.

Do you do it over the whole car (everything including mirrors, bottom of doors etc??), then wash it again afterwards??

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've just bought a Megs one and i'm going to claybar my car for the first time.
After reading all these great things about claybars, im off to Halfords tonight to get one.

So i am planning to

1) wash with fairy liquid to strip existing wax (do i need a separate wash-mit for this?)

2) rinse and dry

3) Clay bar

4) wash with wax-free shampoo

5) rinse and dry

6) wax

So my questions are:

Is this the right method?

Can anyone recommend a wax-free shampoo from Halfords?

Is it worth getting a seperate clay lube spray (which one?) for when the megs one runs out?

Advice appreciated.

Matt.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I would just say on step 2 just rinse as you will need to be lubricating the paint to make the clay glide, so there is not point is drying the motor before claying.

Regarding the wash, try some Meg Soft Wash Gel;

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Okay forget my last comment, another thing i wanted to ask was how much can you use the same clay bar, or do you have to wash it somehow occasionally.?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Some of the shampoos containing wax can over a period of time in use, change the black trim pieces on the car a more grey colour, due to wax build up.

A decent detergent free pH-neutral shampoo is therefore a good idea to use. If you want to purchase in bulk, then the Activ-F champoo from Clover Chemicals is ideal. It comes in 5L size and will set you back about ?7 ish.

From Halfords, if they still have it, get the Zymol shampoo as that should be OK, don't know about the Megs ones. Or if you must, get some Baby Shampoo....but check the salt content first. Or some Swissol Car Bath from me of course.....same goes for the Paint rubber....

Also, IMHO it is not necessary to wash the car first with Fairy Liquid or the like, just wash the car well with a normal wash mix, rinse it off very well, then proceed on with the Paint rubber. It is also not necessary to use the lube that comes with the paint rubber, as you can use a weak wash mix instead. The trick is to just keep the surface wet/lubricated. Don't therefore do this on a warm/hot day in the sun, as not only will the panel dry out far to quickly, you will find that the Megs clay also goes VERY soft, and then gets hard to use....

When you get the clay cut it into say 4 pieces, depending on the size of the slay to start with. Use 1 lump and put the rest away safely in a zip-seal bag or similar.

Only use one lump and when the used face gets dirty, then knead the clay to expose a fresh section.

If you drop it, don't try to get all the drit out, you won't. BIN IT! I don't now keep it for the wheels, but if I want to do the wheels I use an old bit of clay that is just very dirty.

HTH

John.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Zymol is really pricey isnt it?, i cant afford that!

I just use turtle wax which is a wash/wax combo i think, and its cheap. Havent tried anything else so i cant comment much on this though.

So you say cut the clay into bits, but how often can you use each bit?

Would you dry the car first, then use lube, or would you just leave the car wet and use the water as a lube for the clay ??

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
you need to apply lube all the time you are clayying, so when you apply the "lube" (personally i just use car shampoo mix in a bucket like i do when washing) you rub an area maybe around 1 ft square, then put more water on the surface....if you dont lube the surface, you'll end up with what looks like someone has drawn on your car with crayons.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Zymol Shampoo is ?5.99 but also in the 3 for 2 Turtlewax promo (well so it says online anyway). So no, not that expensive.

Use each bit of clay until it is discoloured, a 4oz clay is probably enough for about 5 cars so base it on that if you like. Basically as soon as the clay looks dirty, knead it some more until a clean piece is brought to the surface. When the whole clay is totally discolored then move that piece onto use with the wheels. The megs clay will appear to discolour quicker than others as it is white/cream to start with.

I would not dry the car first, as you are making more work for yourself in doing this. There will not be enough water on the car to just clay straight off, you will have so use something for lube.

and before someone else asks as to why the Zymol stuff is in the T/W 342 offer....it's made by them for Zymol, in Skelmersdale.

John.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Always warm up the clay, just to soften it and will reduce marring (loads of lube on the panels) Allow another piece to do your wheels.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Sorry to keep asking questions but, my car detailing past is pretty non-existent. But now its high time i gave my car some tlc.

Right, should you only clay the metal parts of the car. Or should you do the bumpers, door handles etc as well?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Pretty much everything (also glass too)
only PAINTED surfaces and glass
I've used my claybar on my glass as its helped cleaning any fine particles on there aswell may aswell make your glass feel as smooth as your paintwork or is that the other way round [:p]

Sat

1 - 20 of 39 Posts