Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can some one please guide me?

im wanting a clay bar as i hear they are very good? are they really worth it?

whats the best make?

where shall i get it from?

how do you use and store it?

thanks

Andy [:)]

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Can some one please guide me?

well if you insist [;)]

im wanting a clay bar as i hear they are very good?

you heard right mate they clean up contamination on the paint work really its just a paint rubber takes all the dirt thats stuck to the paintwork off..

are they really worth it?

Yup as this should really be the first step when giving your car a detail then followed by a polish (if cars got swirls present) if not then glaze/sealant the paint then wax it in and build up the layers..

whats the best make?

It depends on how harsh you want the clay.. for your first time try i'd reccomend the megs one that you can get from halfords for ?10 or so.. as it comes with the QD but keep the QD aside and use it when drying etc instead use a soapy solution and will be just as good for claying..

where shall i get it from?

Halfords or pop over to detailing world and look at there sponsored sites...

how do you use and store it?

Use :- spray QD or soapy solution on panel making it wet and glide the clay back and forth without applying too much pressure and the paint should feel smooth as glass and the clay shouldn't hesitate to glide back and forth if there is no contamination or dirt stuck to it..

Storage :- I normally put my used Clay away from my new clay and keep in a dry place in a plastic bag..

thanks

No problem [:p]

Andy [:)]

Sat [y]

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
very good sat, i was gonna ask the same question myself.

a question regarding the cleaning/detailing process, is this, roughly, the correct order:

wash, rinse, clay, rinse (with the qd) polish (if swirls), seal paint, then build up wax coats? and regarding drying after the 1st wash and after claying, what do you recommend, microfibre mit? also, how often would i go through that whole process, and are there some weeks where a wash and rinse would do, or should i always finish with a sealant and wax every week?

cheers

Rich

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
This is how i'd do a good detail (well to me it would be good lol)

1) use a foam lance to spray foam all over the car to get rid of any loose debris.. leave it for 5 mins and the foam probs gone to the floor by now..

2) Jet wash off the foam

3) Cleans my wheels with a nice soapy solution

4) Use the two bucket method cleaning the car

5) rinse panel by panel

6) once car is all done.. get fresh bucket of shampoo'd water and apply it by using a spray gun.. panel by panel and clay each panel individually

7) once all the car is clayed rinse off all the soapy solution.. maybe even give it a once over wash again

8) polish depending on how bad the paint is.

9) seal paint

10) wax paint

each week after this use the two bucket method and once a month wax the car no need to seal it every month unless you want to do a fresh detail again.

hth

Sat [y]

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Nice one Sat, ive used Megs clay bar a few times and the results are amazing. Simple and quick to use.

When you say keep the QD on the side to use for drying , what do you mean by that? [:$]

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Oh basicaly when i dry my car with my chamois i normally have some water marks left so once most of the water is off with my autoglym chamois i get out the mf cloth and get rid of those water marks with the QD as this leaves a nice streak and watermark free finish [:D] can you tell ive been browsing the Detailingworld website more than here lately lol

Sat [y]

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice one Sat, ive used Megs clay bar a few times and the results are amazing. Simple and quick to use.

When you say keep the QD on the side to use for drying , what do you mean by that? [:$]
great walkthrough thanks sat.

but even more [:$][:$][:$][:$][:$] whats QD lol

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
You wouldnt get water marks if you if used a waffle weave... [:p]

I stopped using my ag chamois long time ago.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
You wouldnt get water marks if you if used a waffle weave... [:p]

I stopped using my ag chamois long time ago.
i havent got deep pockets like some of you detailers lol... i baught the ag chamois bout 2-3yrs back and its still serving me well lol.. so maybe for my b-day il treat myself to a waffle weave towel.. but a lot of people use the Large MF towels to take off the excess water as they can buff the finish supposedly..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
521 Posts
but a lot of people use the Large MF towels to take off the excess water as they can buff the finish supposedly
They are in fact the same thing, but the waffle weave is just woven differently, hence the name.

John

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
but a lot of people use the Large MF towels to take off the excess water as they can buff the finish supposedly
They are in fact the same thing, but the waffle weave is just woven differently, hence the name.

John
Theres a video of it here that I saw yesterday, its shows what your on about, just scroll down to the pic of the mini.
Its a video of how to use the two bucket method its about 28 mins long but worth watching!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

John
Theres a video of it here that I saw yesterday, its shows what your on about, just scroll down to the pic of the mini.
Its a video of how to use the two bucket method its about 28 mins long but worth watching!
good vid that, but did he really spend 5 minutes telling me how to mix car shampoo into water?!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
936 Posts
im guessing your refering to the different grades of clay, i.e. mild and agressive. If your a newbie to clay i'd stick with the Meg's Quik Clay Detailing System which has been talking about before and is available from Halfords. This is a fairly mild clay which is a good product to start off with. More aggressive clays such as Sonus Grey are more likely to induce marring on your paintwork if used incorrectly i.e. not enought lube, not remoulding enough or using when too cold (winter is an especially hard to time clay due to the cold as with a aggressive clay you have to ensure the clay is sufficiently warm before and during use).

Tbh you cant go wrong with the Meguiars Quik Clay Detailing System, I think after doing the whole car and you've enjoy using it and seeing the results then maybe look into trying/experimenting with different grades, but for a 'clay virgin' just stick to the meg's system.

BTW www.meguiars.co.uk is the UK site for Meguiars

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Tbh you cant go wrong with the Meguiars Quik Clay Detailing System, I think after doing the whole car and you've enjoy using it and seeing the results then maybe look into trying/experimenting with different grades, but for a 'clay virgin' just stick to the meg's system.
Agreed !

If you feel the need to clay again within 6-9 months, I'd suggest going for the SONUS Fine green clay, TBH once a year is enough, IMO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts