Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the oldest classifieds are the 15 th and its now the 17th....

I have volunteered before ... and ill do it again I really think you
need a bit more help on the moderation of the clasified so that adverts
appear in a few hours as against days

·
Registered
728 Posts
Seconded. Otherwise site 100% [:)]

Quicker ads go on, quicker someone may be selling something i want! I am on the classifieds all the time, so i could help with something also, if required.

Tabs, I PM'd you a while ago about an idea, what did you think?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The most recent was only posted last night. We do make an effort to check them every day
Cat the last post on there from when i posted was from the 15th...

what is it with this place there is loads of offers for help with the classifieds but its always shunned and yet it always takes a post in the help section to get them posted!!! and is still taking more than 24 hours to get an advert in!!!

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
The most recent was only
posted last night. We do make an effort to check them every day
Cat the last post on there from when i posted was from the 15th...
The most recent post awaiting approval was from last night, is what I
meant (15 hours ago when I approved it at 10.30am or whatever it was)

Btw it doesn't always take a post in the Help section, we are normally doing it
anyway just means we need to respond to people's requests as well

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have noticed this too. what is the problem with people offering free help? I would assume its a case of moderaters getting to see what's for sale and getting first pickings before letting the ad go public? if this is not the case, then why not take some of the free help offered?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have noticed this too. what is the problem with people offering free help? I would assume its a case of moderaters getting to see what's for sale and getting first pickings before letting the ad go public? if this is not the case, then why not take some of the free help offered?
Only a Moderator has the admin rights to open a post, so if people were to be allowed to help out they would have to be Moderators and therefore have access to the full power of a mod. the mods have never in my knowledge abused their rights by sneaking in first to get the first pickings.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Out of interest what is the reason that you are so interested in these things happening so quickly ?

If I had paid for a service then I may be a little disgruntled that it had not been advertised within the timeline specified.

But as far as I am aware you dont have to pay ! there is no agreed time line! (and nor should there be its FREE) so what is the problem ? is it really such a big issue ?

Just my 2p worth

Just for reference the forum statement regarding classifieds

- Classifieds (For Sale, Wanted)
Any member can post a topic in the Classifieds section, although please note that members with a post count less than five (5) will have their ad(s) rejected. This is to discourage individuals from joining up to the forum just to post ad's in the classifieds. Please use the section to sell your own private items. Please keep all items for sale generally around the VAG subject. Don't try and sell computer equipment for example. Commercial sales are not allowed, unless under special agreement with the website administrator. Any unauthorised commercial topics will be deleted. Advertisers may post ads. The Moderator team will review all posts and any found to be in breach of the rules would be removed at the discretion of the Moderator. Any fraudulent activity will be fully investigated and where necessary, reported to the applicable authorities with all relevant information of the poster being passed to said authorities.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
It's not as simple as just creating a mod for the classifieds. You would then be, like milkfloat said above, a full mod.

You can't just serve one area I don't think.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Out of interest what is the reason that you are so interested in these things happening so quickly ?

If I had paid for a service then I may be a little disgruntled that it had not been advertised within the timeline specified.

But as far as I am aware you dont have to pay ! there is no agreed time line! (and nor should there be its FREE) so what is the problem ? is it really such a big issue ?

Just my 2p worth

Any member can post a topic in the Classifieds section, although please note that members with a post count less than five (5) will have their ad(s) rejected. This is to discourage individuals from joining up to the forum just to post ad's in the classifieds. Please use the section to sell your own private items. Please keep all items for sale generally around the VAG subject. Don't try and sell computer equipment for example. Commercial sales are not allowed, unless under special agreement with the website administrator. Any unauthorised commercial topics will be deleted. Advertisers may post ads. The Moderator team will review all posts and any found to be in breach of the rules would be removed at the discretion of the Moderator. Any fraudulent activity will be fully investigated and where necessary, reported to the applicable authorities with all relevant information of the poster being passed to said authorities.
Yes it is such a big issue yes the sites free.. some of us have offered to pay if it can improve things like this, MMMM 5 posts or more I currently have 3000 I would have had 5000 if it wasnt for the forum changes.. why cant posts be restricted to those over 100 posts and posted immediately and those with a problem removed.. I have loads of of stuff to sell and frankly cant be bothered as half the time it waits in a batch with 20 other items and therefore ends up on page 2 the minute it is posted.

It was promised with the new newer site that the Classifieds would be automated but yet this hasnt materialised. I know David and mark spend alot of time sorting and devloping this site and it is appreciated however before we receive new features like the gallery old things and things that are only half done need completeing first such as classifieds and quick reply.

And what is the problem with giving someone else moderator rights OK they would have accesss to other forums but hey all mods have access but are still dedicated to only a couple of other forums....

we deparetly need a classifieds moderator that is the be all and end all.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I don't know, but could the classifieds be bolted on to what Discussion Leaders already have in terms of functionality?

Sure we wouldnt mind helping out when we can.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its this old "Them and US" attitude we seem to get occasionally with the moderation ........ the whole defensive attitude is also really annoying, look there is obviously a problem as its brought up week in week out.. yes the mods do a good job overall, yes David and Tabs work hard to run the site but if constructive criticism that the classifeds sytem is not working then so be it.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts

Just my 2p worth

Yes it is such a big issue yes the sites free.. some of us have offered to pay if it can improve things like this, MMMM 5 posts or more I currently have 3000 I would have had 5000 if it wasnt for the forum changes.. why cant posts be restricted to those over 100 posts and posted immediately and those with a problem removed.. I have loads of of stuff to sell and frankly cant be bothered as half the time it waits in a batch with 20 other items and therefore ends up on page 2 the minute it is posted.

It was promised with the new newer site that the Classifieds would be automated but yet this hasnt materialised. I know David and mark spend alot of time sorting and devloping this site and it is appreciated however before we receive new features like the gallery old things and things that are only half done need completeing first such as classifieds and quick reply.

And what is the problem with giving someone else moderator rights OK they would have accesss to other forums but hey all mods have access but are still dedicated to only a couple of other forums....

Sorry mate but your comments are coming across a tad harsh. Get a grip for gods sake, its a classifieds system that is checked daily. We are doing this in our spare time and make no offer of service levels other than what is stated.

We don't have the facility to restrict sections based on post counts.
We haven't had time to write a classified system from scratch yet - maybe you would like to chip in and pay someone a couple of grand to write one?

We'll look into this after International but for the momet it remains as-is.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Just my 2p worth

Sorry mate but your comments are coming across a tad harsh. Get a grip for gods sake, its a classifieds system that is checked daily. We are doing this in our spare time and make no offer of service levels other than what is stated.

We don't have the facility to restrict sections based on post counts.
We haven't had time to write a classified system from scratch yet - maybe you would like to chip in and pay someone a couple of grand to write one?

We'll look into this after International but for the momet it remains as-is.
Ok I am sorry if what I have said seems harsh... but right the way through I have complimented and thanked everyone on the job they do of running this site... where I am coming from is the offer of help has been made by several people in terms of moderation of the classifieds.
I understand there are no guarenteed levels of service but what I am saying is we have discsussion leaders and mods for nearly every section of the forum.. Why cant we have a dedicated classified leader/s moderator/s.

The them and us comment was not intended to offend, and was probably put accross in an unfortunate manner it was meant to reflect the way that Cat didnt seem to think there was a problem perceived or otherwise but yet 2 or 3 people had agreed with me.. so obviously there was a perception it was slow by the users that obviously is not perceived in the same way by the mods.

Sorry if it seemed harsh.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Ok mate, sorry if mine seemed a little blunt as well.

Its a case of us all mucking in mate, we have a log thread in the moderator forum which we use to track approvals so its not all done ad-hoc. We try and approve a couple of times per day which is sufficient given the amount of traffic that goes through (on average about 10 ads per day)

The reason why we haven't as yet opened up the classifieds system to moderation by others is that its seemingly been under control now we have the log system in place.

You'll be pleased to hear we're looking into divinding the classifieds into categories, after the suggestion made by a member, to make things easier for ad placers and buyers. Hopefully this will aid the placing and viewing of ads.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
The them and us comment was not intended to
offend, and was probably put accross in an unfortunate manner it was
meant to reflect the way that Cat didnt seem to think there was a
problem perceived or otherwise but yet 2 or 3 people had agreed with
me.. so obviously there was a perception it was slow by the users that
obviously is not perceived in the same way by the mods.

Sorry if it seemed harsh.
My comment was not intended to pass judgement, just to convey
information to show you (as Tabs says) that the Classifieds are checked every day

·
Registered
347 Posts
out of curiosity, why not use/try a different bb system such as vbb? I'm a member of numerous forums based on this software, and it does have the ability to control access to certain areas by post count, and create account privileges so people can apply for the right to post in various areas. I believe it also allows moderation of individual areas by individual members. just a thought. also, did anyone read my suggestion post about dividing the classifieds?

jamie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts