1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question.

Why is the civic type R so damn quick when it has bugger all torque and 197bhp

The golf 1.8t weighs 1250 and has 200bhp / 230lbft or torque after a remap

The Civic type r weighs 1200 and has 197bhp / 140lbft of torque.

why is the civic still quicker than the remapped 1.8t when its down by nearly 100lbft or torque?

Will overtaking be alot quicker in the golf?

ta

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Would it not come down to power to weight? Type R's are all about light weight and high ouput.

I was reading on a Type R forum a post where someone claimed they have outrun R32's - I can't comment either way. But I did look up the stats in Evo magazine. If I remember the power per ton of the Type R is more than the power per ton of the R32.

Lurking on this board I've read drivers knock it down a few gears and hit the V-Tec zone, so the lack of torque is only if the driver is lazy. The gearbox in a Type R is amazing - very short and quick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd say that one of the main reason's is the handling as well. Having
had both a Mk4 GTI and a Civic Type R for a bit the Civic is in a
different league handling wise and the steering is a lot more accurate
(can't think of another way to explain it).

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I'd say that one of the main reason's is the handling as well. Having
had both a Mk4 GTI and a Civic Type R for a bit the Civic is in a
different league handling wise and the steering is a lot more accurate
(can't think of another way to explain it).
I would second that having been in one (though this thread is mainly about straight line performance).

I test drove a Honda Jazz (not for me!!) on the weekend and I was suprised with how much more stiff the chassis was compared to my Golf. In my Golf I can hear creaks from the trim behind me as the chassis flexes under load - thats just gonna corrupt the handelling. This is why I've decided to live with and not mod the suspension, it will never really handle with such chassis flex. My car doesn't handle but unlike my Pug 306 XSi it doesn't fall to bits!

Looked in Evo last night as the Type R has slightly less power per ton but is quicker to 100 mph - that really is quite impressive.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I dont have any trouble with Civic Type R's beat 2 up the 1/4 mile strip at the Pod Last August!

But must admit I like them but they are no fun until you hit the VTEC much prefer the buckets of torque from the Golf, and the 45-50 mpg!! lol

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Had a crack against one off the lights tonight in the Toledo. The Civic had an exhaust and an induction kit (could tell by the noise) and two slight built people (driver looked tiny as did his g/f).

The g/f and I both weigh around 100kg, we had a full tank of fuel, the weeks shopping, and a pile of other stuff (so bascially we were weighed down slightly).

The Civic pulled ahead in 1st 2nd and 3rd gears but not by a huge amount. By 75mph there was between 1 and 2 car lengths between us.

It would not have bothered me except for the smug grin on the lasses face in the passenger seat! Lol [:D]

I am really glad I had a crack at it though as I wanted to see the difference between the Tolly and a CTR. Now I have seen it, the remap is def happening!

Exhaust will be ordered ASAP including the sports cat. Thereafter either up to Revo or down to Star [y].

Hopefully after that the roles will be reversed at the Traffic Light Grand Prix and I will hand the big L for Loser on my forehead to the Civic driver [:p]

Out of interest, has anyone had a genuine crack at a CTR in stock 1.8T form and then again after a remap? If so how did they compare?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I had a tusle with one in my old GSI (213bhp)

there was nothing in it between us

but if it had been on twisties it would have been "bye bye GSI "

i test drove a cosmic grey one two weeks ago and it was a great drive but i wouldnt fancy trying to keep it in v-tec mode all the time

of and there was bugger all in the way for gizmos and gadgets inside

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just a quick question.

Why is the civic type R so damn quick when it has bugger all torque and 197bhp

The golf 1.8t weighs 1250 and has 200bhp / 230lbft or torque after a remap

The Civic type r weighs 1200 and has 197bhp / 140lbft of torque.

why is the civic still quicker than the remapped 1.8t when its down by nearly 100lbft or torque?

Will overtaking be alot quicker in the golf?

ta
They might not have much torque mate. But it's not all about torque... It's how it's delivered through the rev range that's the key.. My LCR has twice as much torque as my CTR had. But it's only slightly quicker in a straight line (few car lengths to a ton). In standard form, it was quicker than my LCR is.. And don't think they lose out top end, cause they don't. If anything, that's where they excel.. Trust me..

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
TLGP?

The type-r standard is quicker to 60, 100 and 1/4 than a mk5. Not by much mind and it really makes no difference [:)]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I test drove a Honda Jazz (not for me!!) on the weekend and I was suprised with how much more stiff the chassis was compared to my Golf. In my Golf I can hear creaks from the trim behind me as the chassis flexes under load
Your Golf is much older though, at least in design if not manufacture! Look at the MkV GTI, they did not even add any further bracing because the standard chassis is so stiff. The new Focus ST on the other hand has extra bracing installed.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I test drove a Honda Jazz (not for me!!) on the weekend and I was suprised with how much more stiff the chassis was compared to my Golf. In my Golf I can hear creaks from the trim behind me as the chassis flexes under load
Your Golf is much older though, at least in design if not manufacture! Look at the MkV GTI, they did not even add any further bracing because the standard chassis is so stiff. The new Focus ST on the other hand has extra bracing installed.
Yes fair point.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts