Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i thought these were supposed to be fast???

I was unexpectedly attacked by 1 this evening and, what i can only explain as thrashed him!!! My baby is nothing special, so i am so surprised!![:O]!! I must have caught him outa V-Tech or something (maybe he missed a gear?), i just kept on pulling and pulling and pulling! its the best fun i have ever had in my baby! anyone got any explanation, cos i thought i was gonna be mince meat!!!!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yeah your car must have quiet a nice BHP figure with a revo and sports cat! plus u may have been a lot better driver than him! Bet he felt like a nob head after u rinsed him, hahahaha!!!! well done [:D]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Sorry but an Upsoluted K03 1.8T ~185/195bhp will not beat a CTR.
Either the driver must have been a complete muppet or it was a rebadged S type or similar.
That can be the only explanation as a CTR is VERY capable and will upset many a fast car.

Whats a Revo-Milltek DV?
Maybe that was the difference? [:S]

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
He must have goosed it...... because they are very quick.

Isn't easy to keep them on the boil, especially when corners are involved... a lot trickier than driving the torque-laden 1.8T.

Driven properly, it should easily at least keep pace with a 220bhp
1.8T..... standard Leon Cupra R drivers over on SCN still have
problems, and they have 225ps as standard!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I have thrashed 3 of them but there was one in particular which was much closer.
He jumped out of his car at the next set of lights asking if I had 'chipped' my car, wish I had of told him it was standard!!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have thrashed 3 of them but there was one in particular which was much closer.
He jumped out of his car at the next set of lights asking if I had 'chipped' my car, wish I had of told him it was standard!!
LOL, thats evil !

·
Registered
924 Posts
lol saw one the other day (civic type R) trying to race brand new BMW M5, guess you all know who won that one....lol the M5 was having none of it! shot of like lighting the guy in the civic must have told his passengers, WAIT TILL THE V TEC KICKS IN! lol proper blow out!!!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
What is the v-tec and what's so good about it?
VTEC (which stands for Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) is an electronic and mechanical system in some Honda engines that allows the engine to effectively have multiple camshafts. As the engine moves into different rpm ranges, the engine's computer can activate alternate lobes on the camshaft and change the cam's timing. In this way, the engine gets the best features of low-speed and high-speed camshafts in the same engine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Before I bought my Anni I had a Type-r and I can vouch that it was faster, but not by much. But the biggest bonus is the ride quality, the Honda was rubbish, and would lift a wheel on nearly every roundabout when giving it some. I now laugh when I see a Type-r trying it on with another car of similar performance, because every man and his dog was trying to race me when I had mine. I laugh even harder when people try to race me in my mk2, as that doesn't get over 4000rpm!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe it was his driving, that or it was a look-a-like as u said Gary. I am running about 216bhp and 212ft/lb torque if i remember rightly. I was really expecting to get a good thrashing, but was more than shocked when i didnt! i think i will hav to treat the baby to some new mods to reward her!!!

Not trying to rain on my own perade but im sure it did look like it was under-performing for a Type-R, it looked very 'stuttery' as if it was being starved or something, it never pulled cleanly. Maybe this is the explanation.

The DV isnt the same now, i cant remember what it was, i didnt put it on. im now running the Forge007P.

The look on this guys face was classic, wish i had a camera!!! I look completely standard other than the twin rounds out the back.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I had one the other day revving up behind me and i was really not in
the mood to race.Everytime i changed gear he was up my rear.So on a
long stretch of road i accelerated
from the lights up to second gear as quick as i could without using the
turbo and held
it there, again he was on my
bumper.Waited for him to change to third then floored mine, and left
him changed to
third and i was off.Needless to say he didnt try again.

At the end of the day you can have lots of BHP but you gotta know how
to use it.I just make the best use of what i have...at the moment.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Gary [:)]
No worries Sarge, just pulled it off Google.
I know theres a s elector pin in there which changes cams over when going into the 'vtec' zone.
Its a hell of an engine though which could just as easily be driven badly as to its full potential.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Gary [:)]
No worries Sarge, just pulled it off Google.
I know theres a s elector pin in there which changes cams over when going into the 'vtec' zone.
Its a hell of an engine though which could just as easily be driven badly as to its full potential.
Have you test drove one yet Gary? If not you really should get down to the honda dealer and have a go.

BTW I was behind an aerial atom a few days ago and saw the distinctive CTR engine sat on the back, I bet that thing was REALLY fun to drive.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I used to have a CTR a couple of years ago (pre kids!) and they're bloody good fun! It was a bit of a baz wagon magnet, everyone wanted to have a go at it and little came even close! Mine had a slip diff and sports exhaust and when VTEC came in around 6K revs, it went mental. The handling was superb and gearbox excellent

Having said that, the build quality aint a patch on a Golf and since we've had kids, it had to go because of the hard ride and lack of air con. It was a hoot to drive, but overall, the golf is a better all-round package. Not many places to use the CTR performance potential and when you do, you're scared that pc plod will be in your rear view!!! Hope you found this was useful.

·
Registered
832 Posts
i thought these were supposed to be fast???

I was unexpectedly attacked by 1 this evening and, what i can only explain as thrashed him!!! My baby is nothing special, so i am so surprised!![:O]!! I must have caught him outa V-Tech or something (maybe he missed a gear?), i just kept on pulling and pulling and pulling! its the best fun i have ever had in my baby! anyone got any explanation, cos i thought i was gonna be mince meat!!!!
Also your car must be pretty quick anyway mate, i cant see one thrasing you ! [:)]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts