Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Civic Type R v Mazda RX8

7K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  jblack 
#1 ·
After much thought the Golf is moving on to a new home. I'm not sure yet but am interested in either of these as a replacement. Have to say I'm leaning more towards the RX8 at the moment though. The 228bhp version of course[;)]. What would you do?

Cheers, Jim

#3 ·
On a personal note i absolutely love the RX8. What a car. Can imagine the service and repair costs are high though, due to the lack of garages that have the experience working on that engine

Honda Civic also a stunning car but there becoming more popular than a Saxo (sorry for swearing)

#6 ·
I haven't driven one, but I've heard the engine of an RX8, and I really
didn't like the sound. Sounds like a lamn mower/food
blender/sewing machine.

Very odd indeed.

With such macho looks, u kinda expect it to sound beefy!

You mention CTR and RX8, have u shortlisted any other choices?

#9 ·
I had a look at the 350Z but it honestly did nothing for me.

So I've gone and done it. The love of my life (well last 2 years) is moving on and I pick up the RX8 on Wednesday, all being well. Took it out today and it's not as punchy feeling as the Golf due to it not having a turbo. However, it is definately faster. The 6 speed gear box is great, I only just got in to 6th on the motorway at ***mph and it was so smooth and quiet and I could feel the engine was no where near it's limit[:D]. I expected in town driving to be quite labourious but it was a pleasure too. On the twisties it is a far cry from the Golf, it was absolutely planted to the floor.

On a different note. I am trading in the Golf against the RX8. They gave me a fair price and had a good look around it. I will be stripping certain parts so keep an eye in the classifieds (Coilovers with 200miles on, samco hoses, Forge DV etc).

My dilema is this;

Over the last few days I've noticed a lot of blue smoke out of the exhaust. Not good. I'm pretty sure it's the turbo that's given up. Should I say anything to the garage when I take it in on Wednesday? They have mentioned they'll be putting it on a ramp and give it a once over. Do I just plead ignorance?

Cheers, Jim

#12 ·
So I've gone and done it. The love of my life (well last 2 years) is moving on and I pick up the RX8 on Wednesday
I'd go for a CTR.

I know several RX8 owners who love the balance, the performance and
practicality but HATE the lack of torque, obscene fuel costs and oil
consumption.

CTR will be a lot easier to live with and just about as quick.
lol...bit late Mattee [:)]

#14 ·
You'd best get shares in Shell or Esso - loverly motor the RX-8 we test drove the 228 version from our local dealer. That engine is so linear in it's delivery, I was sitting there thinking my Golf is quicker until I realised that I was in 3 figures. Did managed to hit the change up chime a couple of times too [;)]

Fantastic car and the Mrs was tempted to trade her MX-5 up to thier demonstrator, but has been put off by the high fuel consumption.

Don't forget to check your oil everytime you fill up too as they tend to drink that too.

All in all a fantastic car I'd have one if we weren't fleaced so much with fuel duty in this country [8o|], in the States or Europe it would be a great car to own.

#15 ·
RX8 is a very nice looking car (looks a bit long from the side though). But expect MPG to be shite.

CTR is the slightly quicker car, but there's a few more about [:$].

All depends what you like in a car really. Personnally, if i was spending RX8 money on a car, then I could think of ten cars i'd rather have, but all down to personnal taste I suppose.

I'd go with the CTR and save a ?8000 myself.

#16 ·
I like the look of the RX8 and they do shift a bit even though they lack torque. My mate has one in grey with all the toys but he's very disappointed with the poor fuel and oil comsumption. Not my choice of car in this price bracket and again personal taste........

Congrats anyways and do post some pics[:p]

#17 ·
CTR is the slightly quicker car, but there's a few more about [:$].
Nope, The CTR does 6.6 to 60. The RX8 does 6.4 to 62.[:p]

Had a drive of the CTR but I could'nt see myself doing any long journeys in it. I suppose the Golf has got me accustomed to my creature comforts[:D].

And yes I know I'll be filling up more often but considering the Golfs average was about 23-25mpg I can cope with the couple fewer mpg.

When I bought the Golf I knew it was a good base to turn in to something I prefered the look of but the RX8 is IMO almost perfect as it is. No need for the expense of body kits, extra interior trim, suspension change etc, etc. So I can put the money from that into the fuel tank.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way slating the Golf, it has been a fun car to own but in my own experiences it's just letting me down more and more. I suppose you could say this for any 4 year old car, stuff will begin to go wrong.

My plan is to own it for a couple of years by which time there will no doubt be something else that takes my fancy. I'll maybe get it remapped after a while but that'll be about it (I know, I know. Heard it all before[;)]).

Going off topic a bit; Why are more and more Golf owners changing to different cars? I'm not trying to suggest anything, just an observation.

Anyway, like most I'll still be sticking round here, if it's still OK[:$]. Cars aside this has to be the best forum I've come across for banter and general easy going.

So what do you reckon to my dilema mentioned above re the turbo? Tell them or just hope they say nothing?

Cheers, Jim

#19 ·
But the RX8 is RWD and very well balanced.

The CTR is FWD, front heavy has no traction control and skitters at the back end.

Top Gear "Power lap" gives 1.36.5s for CTR and 131.8s for the RX8 which shows how well sorted the RX8's chassis is.

I'd say an RX8 is faster 95% of the time. Apart from the fuel stops every 150odd miles!

I'd still rather run a CTR though.

#20 ·
I know what I'd choose [:D]

So you have some real life consumption figures

On a run using motorways & fast roads I get about 24, when Emma uses it for work and using it just round town its more like 19. You can get the urban figures more respectable up if you drive like a nun but hey if you're gonna do that, then do yourself a favour dont buy one.

Rather than waffle on about how much I love the 8 feel free to ask any questions. [:)]

#22 ·
Have to say I take the Top Gear tests with a pinch of salt. As much as I love the programme, I never take to much notice of the test results. Cause if those lap times were a true indication of the cars, then the RX8 is as quick as a M3 round the track..... [^o)] Don't think so somehow..

The CTR was tested at 132.8 in the last series by the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.