Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this inst big or clever BUT i really need to ask peoples advice.

Golf Front mmounted intercooler, Decat, Full Sports system, induction kit carbonet style Jabba Sport and boost controler. Runnign 256Bhp

Honda Civic Type R

Why the hell do these things seem so quick. Total i couldnt pull away from one on the motor way, i let him in front and then strugged to get past him........ Does any one else have this problem

Clio 182 Cups

Therse are the same as above another run in i had the other day

Is it my driving or does other peole have this problem, when do you turbo drivers change gears? these are always when im moving 50plus.

thansk andy

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
what turbo are you running as 256bhp on a k03s just isnt real! my gear changes are below

1st = 40mph

2nd = 75mph

3rd = 105mph

4th = 125

5th = the rest

this is only if i am ragging it lol.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Might have something to do with the fact that they both run 2.0 lumps it lighter bodied cars?
...but the golf would have a better power-weight ratio than the other two [:^)]

·
Registered
148 Posts
Its the way they put the power down and thier light weight they simply have better traction, you may not notice at hiher speeds but there is still a effect.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yer k03s.

Im looking into tthe IHI now...

Peopel always say jabbas RR is a bit optimistic :p

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
My friend has a 182, and we've raced each other numerous
times. There really isn't that much difference in straight
line performance between the two cars.

It's only when I pass 130 that I can leave him behind. Bearing in
mind his car is stock, and mine is lightly modded..

182's should not be underestimated if they are driven properly.

Why else would they be regarded as one of the All time best hot hatches!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I dont struggle with the above have taken on numerous Civic Type R's but only on the 1/4 mile! The Type R has superb top end power so from 80 upwards id doubt you'll beat one! My Golf when it hits 130 mph really hits a block wall and struggles to pull to 140 and wont go much past 145 whereas I know from a mates type r that it pulls hard to 145+ thats the beauty of a bigger petrol lump and high revs

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got a friend with a Clio Trophy (effectively a 182) and we are neck and neck upto 120 at which point I start to pull on him. I'm driving a remapped PD Anniversary.

CTRs are quite a bit quicker than 182s though, especially above a ton as the Clios seem to hit a brick wall soon after.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i disagree with you 250 from a ko3s with the mods i have done is very possible.... each car runs better then the next.

I dont do racing to be honest i think im not doing the gear changes right

AG

·
Registered
906 Posts
coming back from Santa Pod a number of weeks ago my mate who has a 182 clio was racing a type r. I was driving my pd anniversary(standard) i kept up with both of them until i changed up to 5th gear when they started to pull away from me. Think that was because they are petrol and have a bigger capacity.

So hopefully this year i will be getting the golf chipped

·
Registered
94 Posts
I sold my type r about a month ago and trust me they are incredibly quick upwards of 80 mph. Stick it in fourth and it will just keep going and going to bout 110, then fifth still keeps pulling easily to 130 when things start to slow a bit. Not that I ever drove it like that, honest. In 2nd was shit hot quick too, never seemed to do that much in 3rd though. First gear is only for bone dry roads, and wheels had to be in a straight line, completely pointless having 1st in the wet. Funny thing in wet was the wheels would grip in 2nd and 3rd until it hits the Vtec, at which point they just went loopy.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
i disagree with you 250 from a ko3s with the mods i have done is very possible.... each car runs better then the next.
Can you list your mods?

FWIW, I have yet to meet a CTR that I couldn't pull away from, same goes for Clio 182's.

I've met many from both standing starts and whilst moving.

The closest match I had with a CTR involved a standing start, I pulled
away slowly and proceeded to keep on pulling. Next set of lights he
jumped out of his car and asked "is it chipped?", really wish I'd have
burst his bubble and said no, its standard!!

Closest match with a 182 was again a standing start, we stayed even
until midway through second gear when I started to pull away.

Played with a few on the motorway too and always slowly pull away.

Met a new WRX Subaru today, boy what a let down!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Gary.

Uprated Pullys Wheels

TIP Pipe from samco

Bailys DV

Jabba Boost Control unit

Jabba full Custom Remap

Front Mounted Eurojet Intercooler

Full Stainles de cat exuats system

Ploished & flowed Head

------

I was thinking talking it over with a fe mates and they asked me was i ready for the cars? when i asked what did they mean they asked

" were you in the right gear as if the other car was ready and in 3rd ready to floor it and you were in 5th you would have t drop gears taking time making it harder to catch up as tehy will be acelarating already.

Ill wait untill i see one next time. I rarely liek going over 90 as loose my lience loose my job

·
Registered
646 Posts
Its due to a lot of factors but like you said he was probably already changed down and in the VTEC zone so you wouldnt have caught him then.

Get on the Drag strip at santa pod then you can compare cars I beat 2 Civic Type R's over the 1/4 mile consistently but past 100 mph I think they are quicker cars which incidently nobody cares about really because who goes past 100 mph in real world driving! 30mph-70mph is real world driving and nothing I have driven is better than the Tuned TDI I have now for that sort of accelleration due to the torque That includes my 300bhp Nissan 200sx s14a Touring

1 - 20 of 22 Posts