Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just fitted mine to my 1.6SE this afternoon, took about 40 minutes. Very easy. I managed to get superglue on my fingers (not stuck together) but apart from that it went very smoothly...cant recommend this mod highly enough, it looks the business and was pretty simple. Heres a brief how-to for those who want one but it has pretty much been covered in other threads...

1) Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. You will probably find like me that the central locking no longer works [:I] so if you are going inside to do the dials, dont forget to manually lock it!

2) Pull the plastic cover above the wheel off. Its tricky and be careful not to snap the clips...theres to big ones on the left and right, and a small one in the centre.

3) Take a T20 torx screwdriver (mine was T20 but other how-tos have said T10?) and undo the two screws underneath. This is a pain to get at and be careful not to lose the screws down there, because it doesnt look like it would be easy to retrieve them!

4) Gently pull the cluster out. Its connected by a plug on either sidde- pull the pink plastic clip backwards and the plug comes out. I did the left side first then twisted the cluster around to undo the right.

5) Remove the cluster and use a torx screwdriver (cant remember the size but its the smallest one) to remove the two screws on the back. Now gently unclip the clips around the edge, tear the sticker sealing the unit and gently pull apart.

6) Put the dials to one side; I used cling film over the top to keep it clean. Its important all of these steps are done in a very clean environment and you dont get finger prints on the inside!

7) Squeeze the rings through the back of the holes in the cluster. Its tight but a good squeeze and they go through. Once iside you will see they are a tiny bi smaller than the hole, which is a pain for alignment so do the best you can.

8) I used superglue on the edge of a knife and applied it to the ring from the hole (ie while the ring is in the cluster). I then turned it up the right way and let the ring drop into place and left it for 10 minutes.

9) Re-assemble the cluster, reverse the process for removing the cluster and reconnect the battery. You may need the radio code (I didnt) and will need to set your clock, but everything started fine for me and no car fires, which was nice. Admire your beautiful work. Who needs the 2002 Bora cluster?

TIPS:

The screws that hold the cluster in are a swine. Ipulled the wheel all the way out and down to do this, and its very tricky to hold onto the screws, especially when putting them back. But perservere and dont drop them!

Supergule on your fingers is a weird sensation. Soak them in hot soap water for ages and it will come off with a knife.

Hope this helps, and good luck guys its well worth it.

Mike

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Nice one Mike - thanks for the write-up.

Be careful not to use too much superglue peeps - as the fumes can cause a white stain to appear around them.

For gap bridging ability, you want the thicker superglue.

I have some already - its available from good model shops and is used for glueing balsa wood, etc.

Same cyanoacrylate glue but of a thicker consistency

·
Registered
1 Posts
WHERE DO YOU GET THE RINGS FROM AND HOW MUCH ARE THEY?

ALSO I THOUGHT YOU COULD GET AN ALLOY TRIM FOR THE MIDDLE OBLONG PART?

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got them from the group buy organised by Toff- well done again mate, amny thanx. They were £21 and yes a centre piece was available but it doubled the cost as I recall and looked cheap IMO...the two rings alone look more OEM to me. I am thrilled with the result, highly recomended

·
Registered
97 Posts
The thread suggests that it may be possible to do another GB of them. Have a look in the group buy section.

I hope another one is done, cause I'd love some...

Pete

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Just fitted mine, thanks for the guide Mike! [:)]

Really is very straightforward, just make sure you follow the exact instructions in the how-to above. Be very careful about the environment you do this mod in tho, as Mike says.... i have a couple of white specks on the inner of the glass, which is a pain, but not a big enough pain to do the whole thing again! [;)]

I was worried that removing the cluster would knack up my immobiliser, with my Golf being a very early model.. however, it was fine, so do this mod without worry!

·
Registered
12 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Mikedav

5) Remove the cluster and use a torx screwdriver (cant remember the size but its the smallest one) to remove the two screws on the back. Now gently unclip the clips around the edge, tear the sticker sealing the unit and gently pull apart.
I hope not, but does this invalidate the warranty?

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well you could probably peel it back carefully and not tear it...then reapply it. Mines out of warranty though so I didnt bother

·
Registered
1 Posts
damit... i made a bit of a mess with the super glue and now theres white stains all around the rings

Anyone got tips for me on how to remove the stain!? maybe some metal polish?

also got the clear screen all dirty and smudged arghhhh [:(]

·
Registered
19 Posts
heres a pasted version of what I put in the group buy topic:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Woohoo! Fitted, and I'm made up with them!

BAsic instructions as follows:

1. Make sure you have some super glue. (I used Loctite Superglue from B&Q. very thin and clear, and sets quickly) I ended up having to walk to B&Q when the glue I had ran out after glueing one cluster!!! and also a torx driver and maybe even a flex drive( flexible screwdriver with socket attachment on the end).

2. Disconnect battery!!!!!!!!!!

3. drop steering wheel right down, and remove plastic trim with leather attachment for steering column. Have to play around, but it is push fit in the left middle and right.

4.remove the 2 torx bolts from under the cluster. I used a flexi drive to get at these.

5. pull cluster forward, and then unclip both plugs from behind cluster.

6. take cluster away and lock car up( in my case anyway!

7. slowly prise the clear front off the cluster. its spot glued all the way around. I did crack bit of it, but only where you cant see. This is the fiddly bit!! any other options would be advised, but I tried dismantling the cluster and that didn't work.

8. glue the rings and let them set in place.

9. wipe them clean.

10. clean the inside of cluster front.

11. spot glue the cluster front and then let it set in place.

12. refit the cluster in car. refit both plugs.

13. place the cluster and tighten the torx screws.

14. cross fingers.

15. reconnect battery.

16. turn ignition on, and allow the stereo etc to reboot.

17. check all in well.

18.refit the plastic trim around steering column.

19. readjust steering wheel.

20. clean the cluster front off all greasy finger prints!

21. just stare at them for a while until you get bored!

22. Then drive!!!!

please understand though, that I cant be held responsible for your actions. this is a description of how I fitted mine, and my car is fine.

Hope it helps, sorry theres no pics. havent got a digi camera

---------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I used Mike's method of installation and the clocks look great. For some added peace of mind I put half a sheet of kitchen roll inside the cluster to protect the inside face of the clear front whilst working. I think the hardest part was removing the small cover above the steering wheel, it has to be pulled quite firmly and away from the face of the clocks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have just fitted my rings, courtesy of Toff's Group Buy.

Prefer Mike's method of installation i.e. installing them through the backs of the dials, as opposed to remvoing the plastic facia, which appears pretty tricky!

Everything went fine, except the car wouldn't start afterward! Left it for a while, tried to start it again and it eventually struggled in to life, ran it for a few mins and after that it was fine. Odd...??!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just a reminder to those reading this thread thinking "oooh must get me some of them apples" I have lots in stock now.. so PM me if you want more details.

Cheers - Toff.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts