Chromeringe!! i was looking into these a while back - some
sellers claim they clip in and some say you need to glue them. If
you get the ones from awesome-gti.com they apparently come with fitting
instructions. You could be cheeky and ask them if they can send
you a PDF copy [;)]

·
Registered
319 Posts
i have done this mod and its dead easy if a little fiddly in places.

to fit the rings you need to first remove the instrument cluster from the car. once you have got the cluster out simply remove the torx screws in the back and it will come apart allowing you to insert the rings through the back of the front part and glue them in place, then just reasemble everything.

before you can get the cluster out the car you will need to first disconnect the battery. now remove the trim that is attached to the steering column and the cluster. then remove the two torx screws holding the cluster in place(they are hard to see but they are there). now you simply need to unplug the unit(2 plugs)

it only takes maybe 10 mins to get the cluster out and then its a piece of cake [:)]

hope that helps a bit

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any problems with dials whene you disconnect them?

Some people says that you need vag-com to clear all faults, is that true?

Do I need to remove steering wheel to get to the dials?

Thanks, Jay.

·
Registered
229 Posts
No problems so long as you disconnect the battery first.....

No you dont need to remove the steering wheel, just follow what the person above said, the steering wheel trim is the little bit on top of the column with the fabric attached.....

Regards

Sam

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
319 Posts
its up to you mate , i have a set of alloy rings on my speedo and i think they suit the r32 trim better than any chrome ones so if it were me i would wait till they come up on ebay again. but thats no help to you is it so i suppose i would go for the first ones but not fit the trim around the fuel and temp bits as it will look tacky imo

yeah get the first ones [:D]

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well I have found two on ebay:

one for ?19.99

Link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8046885065&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

and second for ?29.99

Link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4619723668&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

As far as I know firs one is made from steel and second one is made from plastic.

Which one would you choose?

Thanks, Jay
Jay

as you say, the first ones are made from metal, I've got them sitting waiting to be fitted to my car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I have found two on ebay:

one for ?19.99

Link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8046885065&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

and second for ?29.99

Link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4619723668&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

As far as I know firs one is made from steel and second one is made from plastic.

Which one would you choose?

Thanks, Jay
Jay

as you say, the first ones are made from metal, I've got them sitting waiting to be fitted to my car.
Are they good quality? Worth ?20?

Jay

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
gt mine from awsome n the arnt chrome they r brushed aluminium look, lol bad news is that when i had my dealer fit them the left glue fingerprints on the cluster n said it wud go on its own, has it f**k gone lol

·
Registered
720 Posts
Jay

They are good quality. I've had a go at fitting them today, no problem getting the dials out and taken apart, but trying to glue the buggers in is a different matter. I can't get them to stick in place. I bought some superglue that has a brush to apply it, thinking it would make it easier to apply but no! Ended up putting it all back together and leaving it for now, just can't see how you can get the glue into the correct position and then fix the rings into place.

Any advice the people that have done this???

·
Registered
256 Posts
It's better to apply the glue to the insides of the bezels than to the rings, let it go slightly tacky then push the rings into place (you can use cable ties to pull them tight until the glue sets).

I used super glue on my last set but found even after leaving the cluster apart for an hour when i put it all back together i got fume staines on the inside of the plastic :(

I'm trying to figure out what to use on my new set - maybe mastic or chewing gum :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts