Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a set of Variant 3 coilovers be overkill on a MK4 thats used every day?
Could you set them up to ride better than the V1's with the amount of adjustment thats available?

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Not sure how V1s compare to V3s for ride comfort,

but I have V3s on my R32 and even when you set them to full soft (which makes fast road driving CRAP btw) they still ride too hard.

Which goes to show that the spring rate is very high - well atleast on the R32 KW V3s

They are fine if it's used as a weekend toy car (you can really corner like a madman once you've perfected the settings), but for me, I couldn't live with it as a daily driver.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Depends if you plan to do track days and drive hard often.

Thinking of kw v3 myself but trying not rushing to pay out that sort of money.

If your not driving too hard and looking to shave tenths of a second off your best laptimes then look at blistein b14 ..... about £800. If you feel the need to have adjustable compression and rebound adjustment then the b16/kw v3 has them.

What do you plan on doing with your car that has led you to consider such top suspension?

Jay.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive chosen the KWs as ive had them on previous Golf and I know they dont corrode like all the others. I do about 20k a year too so they need to be reliable.

Ive also looked at shock spring combos but they bug me as you can never get the ride height correct.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Bilstein do not rust either. Nor do the new sachs offering i think.

I think the V3s are actually quite difficult to set up due to adjustment options so if its a road car the B16s or sachs may be easier if you really want adjustment.

I went with no adjustment (B14) on my daily car.

·
Registered
934 Posts
If interested in Bilstein maybe R-tek could get you a quote - they deal with them. I understand the billies are much easier to use.

V1s should be okay. Where are you based?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Had v2's on my old car.

Lots of adjustment there. And never seemed to corrode.

I did like the hard ride. And i guess its not for everyone, but the car handled very well considering at the time i hadn't got round to fitting a tt quickrack, Uprated ARB's, TT wishbones etc and polybushes that i have on the current car.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
If interested in Bilstein maybe R-tek could get you a quote - they deal with them. I understand the billies are much easier to use.

V1s should be okay. Where are you based?
Yes r-tek can sort you out at a good price, they will also fit them for you at a good price. They set loads of track cars up and know how to make it handle how you want.

They are based in liverpool i think.

Jay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts