Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have got quite a nasty key scratch (almost the enitre rear 3/4) on my 2.0 gti and was wondering how many people recommend chipsaway. If anyone has before and after photos i would be most grateful.

Adam

·
Registered
685 Posts
Doubt they will be able to do anything like that for you, sounds like a large area. Call them by all means but you may have to end up getting it in the bodyshop.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Chipsaway does claim to be able to repair this sort of damage exactly, but my personal experience is that the quality of finish is simply no match for a decent bodyshop.

I had a paint shop used by Morden Volkswagen (formerly Whites) quote me ?100 to respray my entire front bumper, I thought this was a bit much and I couldn't do with being without my car, so took it to a Chipsaway guy and ended up paying ?150! It was done in about 2-3 hours, sprayed in the open, and the finish doesn't have the same factory gloss. On the other hand I had one of my rear wheel arches repaired by John Ashley Panelcraft, VW approved bodyshop near where I work, and the appearance of the finish was basically factory standard. Superb smoothness and gloss.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I had a guy backed into me in a car park, it left a nasty

scrape on the rear bumper. chips Away came out and did the job at work.

The guy did an amazing job, even under close inspection you

could not tell its had been repaired. only ?90 and highly recomended

if your north west his name was Anthony 07786 072699. or try the Web site

I have just left a simlar post, hope this helps

·
Registered
186 Posts
from my own experience chipsaway are only as good as the guy doing it - if there's a local guy who is recommended then great otherwise I wouldn't touch them

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
from my own experience chipsaway are only as good as the guy doing it - if there's a local guy who is recommended then great otherwise I wouldn't touch them
I agree with this 100%. One way of finding out who is any good is to call a few Car Dealers in your area and ask who they use.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone used the guy who does it in surrey/croydon area? What would happen if i wasnt happy with the finish could i do anything? i suppose if it was that bad i could take it to a body shop afterwards.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Remember chips away are run on a franchise sceme. A good experience in one area of the country may not be the same elsewhere. The few experiances i have had are very good, but probably best to find someone who has used your local guy before.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Remember chips away are run on a franchise sceme. A good experience in one area of the country may not be the same elsewhere. The few experiances i have had are very good, but probably best to find someone who has used your local guy before.
Totally agree with the above - go on recomendation only, I have had both good and bad experiences with these roadside repairs, in hindsight I'd probably use a bodyshop for future minor repairs, visit a few on saturday mornings to find a willing cash jobber.Good luck[:)]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
From the Chipsaway web site:

How's it Done
The system is available only through ChipsAway trained operators and utilises specially formulated paints and chemicals that allow them to repair the vehicle by painting only the damaged area instead of the traditional method of spraying the whole panel.
This is just a common misconception about respraying the whole panel - the repair on my car done at a proper bodyshop did not involve repainting the entire panel, only a section of of was sanded down, ditto for the part of the bumper that got damaged.

As for, "We paint the chips not the car" - I wonder what's that supposed to mean?! I watched my Chipsaway repair from start to finish and the guy sanded off a large patch over the damage, filled and painted it, same as a bodyshop would have done. Except at no point did he use any machine polisher. Just paint, lacquer, ?150 thankyouverymuch.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I see you're in Kingston/Croydon... I work in New Malden and go to Kingston a lot, you're welcome to have a look in person.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i do this sort of thing for a living. a well trained smart repairer could hide most scratches/chips etc, however as a rule of thumb, the light the car, the harder it i sto repair. on lighjter colours the metallic setltles in the chips and turns them very dark. there is next to nothing you can do about this. im doind a load of private jobs over the coming week, i can post pictures of the before and after repairs to show what can be done/expected if you like?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
My car is Reflex Silver and the Chipsaway guy did a perfect job of fixing/hiding the scratches, there was no problem with metallic flakes settling in the chips because he filled them properly, but the final paint finish just didn't match the original gloss at all, something that really sunk in when I had a second repair at a VW approved bodyshop which turned out factory quality smooth gloss.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My car is bright green but is actually a dark metalic green. If i post a picture of the scratch would you guys give me some opinions of what you think i should do?

·
Registered
347 Posts
My car is Reflex Silver and the Chipsaway guy did a perfect job of fixing/hiding the scratches, there was no problem with metallic flakes settling in the chips because he filled them properly, but the final paint finish just didn't match the original gloss at all, something that really sunk in when I had a second repair at a VW approved bodyshop which turned out factory quality smooth gloss.
i wasnt talking about completly painting a bumper/bonnet/wing etc just cos it has a few chips, im talking about SMART repair. this involves, to put it simply, touching in the chips, properly. its a lot cheaper, and if done properly can make the panel look almost new.

Jamie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts