Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps,

I was gutted two weeks ago when I found a 3 inch long vandal scratch on my rear quarter panel. Decided to give chipsaway a go as I've heard good reports about them. The guy came to do my car today and has made an absolute mess of it. I told him I'm not happy with it, so he tried machine polishing it more but it just looks awful. The scratch actually looked better than the repair! Here is a pic:

Posted Image

So where do I stand? I paid the guy ?10 less because I wasn't happy. I shouldn't have paid him at all really [:S]. I've been on the phone to head office and i've emailed the picture above. They're phoning me back tomorrow when the day staff who actually know things are in... They offer a two year warranty on all repairs, does this cover me? I haven't got the money to go to a bodyshop [:'(]

Cheers,

Rye

·
Registered
365 Posts
that looks like he has taken too much paint off the damaged area, you can't see the scratch but its the wrong colour and the gloss has gone, have you a PC or access to one?

I am sure they will make your car as good as new, reputation to uphold and all that, keep us posted.

·
Registered
76 Posts
gutted for u man :(

really hacks me off when idiots are let loose on other peoples property. I would be absolutely livid!

I certainly wouldnt let them have another go - insist on it being
sorted at a professional body shop and that they will pay for it.

A bodyshop who know what they are doing will sort that no problems.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
ouch sorry to see this mate. Ive heard nothing but awfull things about chips away, ive even seen them butcher my mates dad's Audi. I wouldnt trust anyone who can paint a car outdoors and from a van. Very shoddy indeed. Get on the blower to my bodyshop man, he'll sort you out. He's in manchester though.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I had a Chipsaway job done last December. The colour match was spot on (front nearside bumper... see sig pic) but there were a couple of very minor flaws (dust in the lacquer because it was a windy day) and was given 33% discount and told if in a month I was not satisfied the job would be redone til perfect for the remaining balance.

If I wanted to the job redone the chap told me I would need to wait a month anyway otherwise the repainting would react with the work he had already done.

At the end of the day, if you are not satisfied, get them to redo it. Looks like the guy who did your job didn't get the right colour mixed.

You'll get it sorted [:)]

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Thats aweful, he hasn't repaired it he's damaged it so that's a breach of contract for starters. I assume they will be covered by public liabilty insurance so if it's not resolved to your complete satisfaction mention the small claims court.

This would be your final option of course, hopefully speaking with the right people at the firm can get it sorted without recourse to legal action. If the firm have anything about them they should sort it without quibble even if this means them covering the cost of a 'professional' repair job.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for your help and reassurance guys. I think I should be able to get it all sorted out without too much trouble. I've emailed that picture to them and apparently it has been passed on to the Customer Relations Manager. According to the guy that did it, I shouldn't worry about the job not being perfect because my car is a 'V' reg. and it's 6 years old. Apparently it's the best he can do and the best I can get without going to a bodyshop. Certainly won't be getting him to do the repair!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Cheers for your help and reassurance guys. I think I should be able to get it all sorted out without too much trouble. I've emailed that picture to them and apparently it has been passed on to the Customer Relations Manager. According to the guy that did it, I shouldn't worry about the job not being perfect because my car is a 'V' reg. and it's 6 years old. Apparently it's the best he can do and the best I can get without going to a bodyshop. Certainly won't be getting him to do the repair!
Blimey, what stinking attitude that fella has. Whether your car is 6 years or 6 weeks old IMO there's no excuse for such a poor repair job. You pay good money you should get a good service in return. Stick by your guns Rye, don't let them fob you off.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
This cowboy should not be in the trade if thats the best he can do. My 3 year old neice could do better than that. His attitude stinks too for saying its a 6 year old car. What are you suppose to do...agree with him?! GRRRR. A complete bodge job, name and shame the guy i say.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thats a terrible job, you could do better with wire wool! The guy should have his hands chopped off, then slapped across the face with them! Like wet kippers lol! Hope it gets sorted to a proper satisfactory standard mate, im sure they'll have no problems in repairing the 'repair' though, if it is as bad as it looks!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Echo the comments above Mark. We all know the finish that can be obtained with the right tools (PC, buffers etc.) so saying thats the best that can be done is very poor IMO.

If you don't get any joy with them I'd take it to a bodyshop and see what their opinion is. This could help your case if they decide to be 'funny' about repairing their 'own' work.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Sorry to hear and see that, its awful, but to be honest, I am not sure what you expect, apart from a poor result! In the middle of a panel like that, no swage lines to blow into, no corner (like a bumper corner) to take your eye off it.

It is clearly a poor colour match, this is often unavoidable, due to the inaccuracy of paint measurement for such a small mix, (one drip too many of a base colour and it will put a 40th of a litre well out, whereas a full litre would make little difference.)

What you will often find wiht these guys is even if it looks ok once they have first done it, it will look rubbish in a few months time. This is the reason many dealers use them to work on cars on the lot, but only if they know they will sell it quick!

Again, to be fair to them, middle of the panel like that is nigh on impossible to blow into without noticing, which is why a proper body shop would blow in a much larger area. mixing more paint in the process and therefore probably a better match too!

I think your only remedy is going to be a pro bodyshop to be honest, and to be fair it will be more work now than before, as they will have to get rid of the dreadful cheap laquer these chips guys use!!

Only use these mobile guys as a last resort guys, or only if it is a bumper corner, or there is a swage line to blow into to mask the repair a bit! Otherwise, its far better to save up a bit and take it to a pro place, at least if they mess it up, they will repair it preoperly.

And if you are not happy wiht the quality of a repair........for god's sake dont pay for it! If anything, they should pay you for that, as it will be more expensive now to get it done properly!!!

BY the way, I am all for the good "smart repairs" out there, the Paintless dent removal guys can be amazingly good, and almost defy all natural rules in what they remove!! But beware of the chips away style repairs, often the results are no better than you would get asa DIY using Halfrauds gear.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Agree with everything said already, I let a chips away 'repair' guy loose on my old MK2 and it was a crap job. Paid the guy (or should I say, the missis paid the guy !) ?110.

After all the hassle a body shop quoted only ?200, to respray the same (rear quarter) panel.

I will never let these cowboys near any car again.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
1) It looks like he primed the car before spraying the top coat as from
the pics it looks like you can see the scratches in the top coat which
is normally the bad workmanship/prepping in the base layer.

2) There looks like theres no laquer been put on top of the paint.

All in all if that was my car and someone had done that i would of
gaven him some verbal abuse and told him where to go and wouldn't of
gaven him a penny for the poor work manship.

Sat

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I had a Chipsaway job done last December. The colour match was spot on (front nearside bumper... see sig pic) but there were a couple of very minor flaws (dust in the lacquer because it was a windy day) and was given 33% discount and told if in a month I was not satisfied the job would be redone til perfect for the remaining balance.

If I wanted to the job redone the chap told me I would need to wait a month anyway otherwise the repainting would react with the work he had already done.

At the end of the day, if you are not satisfied, get them to redo it. Looks like the guy who did your job didn't get the right colour mixed.

I'm sorry but I think your bumper is a very poor match. Possibly the picture? Light falling on different surfaces etc?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts

I'm sorry but I think your bumper is a very poor match. Possibly the picture? Light falling on different surfaces etc?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts

1 - 20 of 30 Posts