Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm a little un-decided on this one following a conversation i had today. I was of the opinion that it was best to wait a few '000 miles before chipping a motor. However I have spoken to a few tuners recently and was told that provided i dont drive it to the redline then chipping it with a few 00' miles on will be fine, infact may be preferable???. I was also told more specifically that with a deisel its actually not wise to 'drive like miss daisy' as this doesnt bed the turbo seals in very well? And that the deisel cars that have most problems are those that have owners like my father....... never been 'driven' EVER!

So what are peoples opinions on chipping a brand new '05 pd 150? Its a leon cupra btw.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and just to add... how does chipping affect warrenty..... does it void it only on the engine probs? As i want to make sure there are no problems... but then, how long do you wait to decide that?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm waiting 'til my Fabia has done 5K miles (which is very close now). I talked to Mike @ Jabbasport he advised having at least 2K miles on the car to let the engine & transmisson bed in.

It does seem that if you granny around in a new TDI, they take ages to loosen up. I ran mine in for the first 1K & then driven as normal.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Had my A2 done on 3,000 and didn`t have any problems, In my opion all you do is shorten the life of the engine earlier in it's life span, it is unlikley that you will have the car at 80,000 mies so all you are doing is shifting the problem on the next owner as oposed to the third or fourth owner.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the opinion Jon, I'm in clevelad too! I'll have to have a spin out in the fabia when you get it jabba'd. Compare it to the Revo im putting on my PD150.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quote: posted by Tim Sims on 24/02/2005 21:33:32

Cheers for the opinion Jon, I'm in clevelad too! I'll have to have a spin out in the fabia when you get it jabba'd. Compare it to the Revo im putting on my PD150.

Should have it done in a few weeks time.

I'll let you know when it's done![:D]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I did mine at around 3000 miles but nothing was available sooner. I think you should at least wait for the first 1000 miles of bedding in really but plenty of people have had their cars chipped right from the beginning. Its the valve seals I think that you need to be bedding in not the turbo seals. If you give the car a bit of stick then it will be fine. What you shouldn't do is make the car labour in a higher gear. Getting the car higher up the revs shouldn't be too bad provided you don't go redlining it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I drove my PD130 for 1,400 miles before getting the remap done. That was partly because their was a fortnight lead time to get it into AmD. 35,000 miles later and its a peach.[:D]

I waited for 28,000 miles (2 years) on the S3 before getting the AmD Stage II done on it - I wish I had done it much sooner..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dubbers,

How do you find the one click? What sort of figures does it make on the 130? Have you compared it to any other modded 130's?

Sory for all questions, but deciding on a tuner for my PD150 is proving to be a nightmare!

1 click seems a cheap competitor to Revo if you need to switch programs, as it includes the swiching box thingy for ?499 +vat!!!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I am planning on waiting for a year, on my new GTI when it arrives. It will give me something to look forward to and make my insurance lower for the first year. However, saying that I am weak and will probably jump at the first half decent product that REVO do.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Even having it straight away will be alright. Warranty wise it either way depends on the discretion of your dealer.

I'd say a sensible 1000 miles at least and then get it done. That said I've had cars done from brand new & never had a problem.

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Chip it at 0 miles and rag the poop out of it from day 1.

Drive it like you stole it. It makes no difference.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote: posted by CAT76 on 25/02/2005 11:33:25

Dubbers,

How do you find the one click? What sort of figures does it make on the 130? Have you compared it to any other modded 130's?

Sory for all questions, but deciding on a tuner for my PD150 is proving to be a nightmare!

1 click seems a cheap competitor to Revo if you need to switch programs, as it includes the swiching box thingy for ?499 +vat!!!

Oneclick for me is just great, it was a relatively cheap way of getting the car remapped and would definately have the same system on my next diesel golf. Bought thro' a Royster GB last year and got 10% off. There's a massive amount of torque which peaks at just under 2000rpm and stays until about 2500-2600rpm. Not had the opportunity to put the car on a RR but I would say that it's good for 170bhp and about 270lb/ft. In real world motorway driving it pulls convincingly more strongly than a 325 bmw, and on par with a ford st220 and wipes the floor with Merc 220cdi's (tho' they seem to be the least chuffed about this).

The Golf is on a long life service regime, takes a litre of oil every 5k miles (probably due to high speed motorway miles) and averages 46-50mpg.

Haven't compared it with any other remapped Golfs, but I would think that it's pretty much even-stevens whichever tier one tuner you go to for a generic remap.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote: posted by Wilko on 25/02/2005 23:05:11

Chip it at 0 miles and rag the poop out of it from day 1.

Drive it like you stole it. It makes no difference.

HAHAHA Wilko thats is flawless logic.... mind made up

·
Registered
628 Posts
it doesnt make any difference when you chip it.what matters is how you drive it when it's cold,i.e dont rev the mammorys out of it or drive too careful as you wil end up labouring the engine which stresses your bearing parts and at the same time because of low rpm reducing oil flow through the engine.just want to point out that it takes longer to warm the oil up than the coolant so remember just because your water temp is normal it doesnt mean your engine is at its normal working temp.once it is up to norm though it should take everything you throw at it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts