Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone, I've just got back from a rolling road session at Sanspeed in Bexleyheath, kent and I can say that i'm a little disappointed with my results. Jayson from chippeduk, asked me at the start of January to post a review of his work on my MK4 GTI, for this |I would get a re-map for the reduced price of ?150.00. I had the re-map done by Jayson and was very happy with the results. The car pulled much better and it seemed to reach top end a lot quicker than before, the only downside being the mpg, this is quite poor but I wasn't to worried. When I left Jay I was told my car was running approx 190-195bhp, but unfortunatly since going to Sanspeed this afternoon I have now discovered that my car is running 170bhp at the flywheel and 153bhp at the wheels, now Graham at Sanspeed assured me that for the money I paid Jay did a good job, but in my mind I was expecting a little more power i.e 190bhp, but hey you live and learn.

I just thought I would let you guys and gurls know.

Please feel free to comment

Michael

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
So you get what you pay for?

With the increased cost of insurance after getting remapped would it not be better to pay the full price from a well known VW tuning company and getting the maximum power increase possible on your car?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I was under the impression that I was getting a re-map with figures close to 190-195 bhp.
Well if that's what you were quoted, then you haven't actually received the 'product' as described by the company. If I were you I would contact ChippedUK and tell them and see if they can have another go to try and get better figures.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
i take RR figures with a pinch of salt. Not all RR's are accurate anyway. If your happy with how it feels on the road then be happy. Afterall, thats where it matters most rather than a sheet of paper.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i take RR figures with a pinch of salt. Not all RR's are accurate anyway. If your happy with how it feels on the road then be happy. Afterall, thats where it matters most rather than a sheet of paper.
True.. but 170bhp is going to feel faster than 150bhp. If he had 190bhp he might be even happier (and that's what he paid for).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I agree, but RR figures will all be roughly in the same band, have you ever known one to be 25-30 bhp out, I havent heard of one yet. Its like buying a 32" telly on the net and when it arrives you discover its a 20" you didnt pay for a 20" but you can still watch telly/films on it?? But I bet you'd be disappointed

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
True.. but 170bhp is going to feel faster than 150bhp. If he had 190bhp he might be even happier (and that's what he paid for).
he wont....worse MPG!!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All i'm saying is that im disappointed with the results thats all, yeah the car feels better and more responsive dont get me wrong, i'm happy with it, but if I had paid ?250-?300 for what I had got then no, I would of been very unhappy.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
You really need to take the car on another rolling road with a car with a "known" bhp, or maybe take a ride in a 1.8T with a remap of another brand and see how much faster/slower it feels.

·
Registered
472 Posts
have you got a graph of the car before the remap ?

if not then how can you know what the difference in power is? there may be something wrong with the car before and after which is giving you less power

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
totaly agree with mike on this one ........so many rolling road give difrent reading ..........hell ive had a nightmare with difrent reading trying to confirm my power .......main thing is cars more powerfull and runs smother ........you can speand god knows how much putting it on rollers

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I would go to another RR and have it run again

also dont mention to them that its recently had a re-map done or what bhp figs your expecting

just tell them you bought it like that and see what it comes out as

might even be something like the MAF had buggered up after the recent re-map

1 - 20 of 27 Posts