Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went over to see Jayson today to get my motor remapped (there was someone else off the forum too - sorry mate, I can't remember your name[:$])

Got there and he read the ecu via the odb, modified it and downloaded it back to the car.

Test Drive:
First impressions - a lot smoother throughout the rev range, better tick over. It seemed like it was a little bit faster, hard to tell with the roads around Bromsgrove. Jayson said it can take a few miles for the ecu to adjust though.

Drive Home:
Flippin heck - it is quicker[6]! On roads which I regularly use I noticed a considerable improvement. I found this again tonight coming back from the cinema (Underworld Evolution - don't bother [~]). MPG is improved, definately more drivable.

Overall, I am very pleased.[:D]

Now, I'm not gonna make any crazy claims about it beating a TypeR or doing 0-60 in 1.2secs or anything like that, but it is easily quicker than before. Jayson does know his stuff and is very friendly and professional.

In terms of BHP, I'm not that bothered - it drives better and that to me is more important than squeezing another 0.6bhp out of an engine, though I am sure Jayson will RR it when his is installed for those who love their figures.

Is it better than Revo? Dunno, never had Revo.
Is it better than Custom Code? Dunno, never had Custom Code.
Is it better than Jabba? Dunno, never had Jabba.... and so on...

In summary, I am impressed and I would recommend ChippedUK to anyone.

(Mods, you might wanna lock this thread before the abuse starts[;)])

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks for the review.

Its astonishing how well these diesels go, the vw 1900 and bmw 3.0d are true benchmarks in diesel performance engines.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Thanks for the common sense review, good to know you're pleased with the result.

I'd be interested to know how you feel in a few weeks time, whether the novelty has worn off etc - would you mind following up on this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Stuart,

It was me that had the remap done with you yesterday, glad to hear you're happy with the result. All I can say of mine is it was an interesting drive back to Lincoln! The car pulled stronger and stronger as the miles piled on. First and second gear are now a waste of time and the TC light was flickering in 3rd too! Very happy!

Out of interest, has your airbag light gone out yet as mine's still on and I was wondering how to get rid of it.

I will be writing a personal review in respect of Chipped UK asap too.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the common sense review, good to know you're pleased with the result.

I'd be interested to know how you feel in a few weeks time, whether the novelty has worn off etc - would you mind following up on this?
No worries - I'll keep you informed!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Stuart,

It was me that had the remap done with you yesterday, glad to hear you're happy with the result. All I can say of mine is it was an interesting drive back to Lincoln! The car pulled stronger and stronger as the miles piled on. First and second gear are now a waste of time and the TC light was flickering in 3rd too! Very happy!

Out of interest, has your airbag light gone out yet as mine's still on and I was wondering how to get rid of it.

I will be writing a personal review in respect of Chipped UK asap too.

Regards, Jim
It hasn't gone out yet Jim - I'll clear the fault with Vagcom when I get home. If you pop into the dealers they should clear it for you - just say you had to change a fuse ;).
Was the road open on the return leg?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yeah we both stood and watched both cars be done
Thanks for that. Its just when smm20vt had his done they would not let him watch what was been done to the car, very strange!

Glad your liking your new found power!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
This has got to be a joke.

Since when did airbag lights clear themselves?

Please tell me that Mr Chips didn't let you leave with the airbag light on.

Were your cars not checked before and after for faults? Every respected VAG remapper I know of do this as a matter of course.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts

Were your cars not checked before and after for faults? Every respected VAG remapper I know of do this as a matter of course.
Leave it out. These were test vehicles if I'm not wrong. Test means sometimes you will get faults.

Please don't start again.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

Leave it out. These were test vehicles if I'm not wrong. Test means sometimes you will get faults.

If the lights have come on after they have left then fine. However I read it as if they've been sent away with the lights on and been told they'll go away. If that's the case then it's just unprofessional.

My comments are relevant to the thread, when you have something useful to add please come back, however I won't hold my breath.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts

Graham, thats something which shouldnt have happened - butt out.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
If the lights have come on after they have left
then fine. However I read it as if they've been sent
away with the lights on and been told they'll go away. If that's the
case then it's just unprofessional.
Doubt it, more than likely due to a fuse pull.

Most good mappers experience this but will actually reset them before
sending you to VW only for them to charge you for resetting it!!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'm in agreement here, it is expecially worrying considering the fragile nature of airbag modules on some golfs (ross-tech have highlighted the problem before).

AFAIK the whole airbag system is disabled when the light is illuminated, get it sorted guys.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.