Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just arrived here from the Corrado Forum,as I have just bought a MKIV GTI 1.8T.AUM engine.

Bought the car on Saturday 4/2/06 with the intention of getting it remapped asap(as I normally drive a Corrado VR6 with 190+bhp,just couldn`t live with 150bhp.)

Living in Scotland I wanted to try to do everything in one day(unfortunately couldn`t manage the new wheels !!)

Anyway read a few reviews on here of Chipped UK`s work and did some comparisons with other remaps.

Being Scottish and tight I thought that ?150 seemed to be good value for money.[:D]

Picked up the car on Saturday morning and drove the 50-60 miles to Birmingham.The journey was a mix of A class,B class roads and motorways.Initial thoughts on the car were nice and smooth very refined drive,but no real kick when floored[:(]

Certianly not what I get with my VR6 Corrado[:)]

In short I was fairly dissappointed with the performance[:(]

So I arrived in Birmingham and met Jayson as arranged.

He thereafter explained the remap procedure and also stated that there was a possibilty of the airbag light coming on after the process(which could be reset using VAG COM)however this was not the case no probs with the display[:)]

Having agreed to what was being done Jayson went to work.Plugged in the laptop and read the car in its original state.

Next step was to re-write the chip program on laptop and thereafte re-map the chip (I think)[*-)]

In all the process did not take too long and I couldn`t wait to try the car.

We drove off with Jayson driving down a few country lanes then out onto an A class road.it was immediately obvious that this was a very different car to the one I had arrived in [:D]

On driving the car myself I found the car was much livlier and stronger it had a real urgency in its power delivery.

Putting your foot down the car now takes off pulling very very strongly through the gears.The overall driving experience has completely changed floor it now and it takes off[:D]

I left Jay and drove back to Scotland a total journey of 414 miles during which time the car never missed a beat and just seemed to get better and better(Jay did say it would be better after about 50 milesof driving).

On the motorway flooring it at 80mph you are pushed forward at an alarming rate easily into licence losing territory.No need to drop gears or stir the gearbox it is now a real flier[H]

Acceleration from service slip roads onto the motorway sees you easily hitting three figure speeds before joining the motorway.

On the journey fuel consumption averaged 32 mpg.Good or bad I don`t know ,certainly no worse than my Corrado.

In comparison to the Corrado the Golf now leaves it for dead which i never thought would happen.

In conclusion I am really happy with the service and performance I have received for my ?150 I would say for a bang per buck value for money point of view the re-map can`t be faulted.

Ok I have not driven other remapped Golfs so I cannot comment on how mine compares and no I do not know what the bhp is.I know how the car feels and drives on the road and thats where it matters to me [:p]

I may have it rolling road tested but hey thats just numbers which road would I take it to,if I wasn`t happy with the results would I take it to another and keep going until I get the outputs I want to see??No I would rather spend the cash on new wheels.

I am very happy with my Chipped Uk re-map and would recocmmend the company to anyone considering a re-map.[:D]

Thanks Jayson [Y]

i

·
Registered
109 Posts
Can I ask how you got 32mpg, I cant break above 25mpg and that is driving like a complete Grandad, When I hammer the car it reads 6!!!mpg

I'm just curious, thats all.

·
Registered
861 Posts
is it me or is this sus ? A new member with a glowing review on choppedUK ? Ive noticed these new members popping up in the past couple of days.

fish is right

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hmm... Faster with better MPG and all the 'niggles' of previous remaps ironed out, sounds almost too good to be true..... [;)][;)]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
He thereafter explained the remap procedure and also stated that there was a possibilty of the airbag light coming on after the process(which could be reset using VAG COM)however this was not the case no probs with the display[:)]
Well remembered! [Y]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
so if i were to say that the mpg has been better since i had my APR chip installed would that raise eyebrows?
Not at all. Better mpg is common with a remap, unless you rag it. You spend less time on full throttle in general motoring.

·
Registered
288 Posts
So a new poster has to be dodgy - were any of you new once? Or have you all been into the VW scene for so long that you were born posting on this forum?[^o)] You know, some people just read the forum instead of boosting their post count with pointless posts.

This constant ragging of ChippedUK is not showing this forum in a good light - to an outsider the forum may appear to be unwelcoming to anyone new to working with VWs.

Were Revo new to tuning VWs once? How about Custom Code, Jabba etc?

Jayson (ChippedUK) has been working on BMWs successfully for years - say what you like about BMW drivers but, in general, they wouldn't accept someone shoddy working on their car so why is it that people on here think he is some fly by night Del-Boy type?

I had my car remapped by Jayson and I'm very happy with it - read the start of the review on here (goes a bit rubbish after with people having their 2cents worth).

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
..... to an outsider the forum may appear to be unwelcoming to anyone new to working with VWs.
That is one succinctly put point. Each time somethign like
this comes up, irrespective of how it's seen, it seems to a mob down
slating session. And BogS is right - it makes this forum look
b*tchy as fuck and bloody awful!

Said before to most of you I'm not expert, but this continual slagging is getting a little stupid, and excessively boring. [n]

C

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
..... to an outsider the forum may appear to be unwelcoming to anyone new to working with VWs.

Said before to most of you I'm not expert, but this continual slagging is getting a little stupid, and excessively boring. [n]

C
well said

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts

C
Ditto.

This stops now. I'm getting a little tired of asking for calm...

We don't want to see another topic locked, certainly not after the
charade of the last set of topics re. Remaps by Chipped UK. It's
already evident that a few members on this forum are intent on exposing
some hair brain conspiracy, which is probably doesn't even exist.

I think the new member has given a clear link to who he is. Has
anyone bothered to go over to the Corrado forums and check up before
tarring him/her with the imaginary brush?

·
Registered
690 Posts
There seems to be a Corrado VR6 owner from Scotland on the-corrado.net who goes by the name of Too Hot.

I think apologies are in order?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts