Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, I know.

would like nothing more than to roast the 225TT, but I am kindda think about the warranty and insurance complications? And if the GTI can put the extra power down, or will it end up like the VXR?

·
Registered
154 Posts
...That would be interesting to find out, I had a Clio 172 before my current car and it suffered from torque steer in a BIG way. The GTI has none and I'd hate to introduce any by way of chipping. The reviews I've read about the Morego chip have been very complimentary (and no mention of torque steer or problems putting it down).

EVO Magazine March 2006

"Squeeze the throttle in any gear, at any speed and the Morego lunges forward with the kind of aggressive surge that takes you slightly by surprise. Response is always instantaneous ? just a millimetre of pedal travel is enough for the torque to swell and the Golf to leap forward. Turn in is noticeably sharper, making it easier to hustle the Golf towards the apex and carry more speed, even on cold, damp tarmac. We reckon it?s money well spent.?

Anyone chipped their GTI, to what level and what were the results? Any side effects?

BTW - EVO also had the Morego suspension package fitted too, hence the comment about turn-in.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have the APR remap. The remap feels so 'factory' I now want more power it is that smooth. I havn't had any problems with torque steer at all.

In the dry you can plant your foot in 2nd gear and it gains full traction. Well worth the money.

APR 'claim' 246bhp and 286ft-lb of torque.

It pulls like a diesel but without the smoke in any gear and at any revs [:D]
I agree with all of this, my car has 240bhp and I have no traction problems. You do get some wheel spin in 1st/2nd if damp but nothing the electronic aids cant handle and no real problems with torque steer, certainly is no VXR. I previously said I wouldn't increase the power as 240 was plenty but I too am now pondering on adding a sports cat etc to increae by another 10 - 15bhp - the car can easily handle more power. After a remap you will probably find the car has an easier life due to more power at less revs I can't remember the last time my car even approached its red line yet it is phenominally quick. The GTi is a fantastic car in standard form but the remap is an absolute must, go on do it - be rude not too [;)]

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have the APR remap. The remap feels so 'factory' I now want more power it is that smooth. I havn't had any problems with torque steer at all.

In the dry you can plant your foot in 2nd gear and it gains full traction. Well worth the money.

APR 'claim' 246bhp and 286ft-lb of torque.

It pulls like a diesel but without the smoke in any gear and at any revs [:D]
I agree with all of this, my car has 240bhp and I have no traction problems. You do get some wheel spin in 1st/2nd if damp but nothing the electronic aids cant handle and no real problems with torque steer, certainly is no VXR. I previously said I wouldn't increase the power as 240 was plenty but I too am now pondering on adding a sports cat etc to increae by another 10 - 15bhp - the car can easily handle more power. After a remap you will probably find the car has an easier life due to more power at less revs I can't remember the last time my car even approached its red line yet it is phenominally quick. The GTi is a fantastic car in standard form but the remap is an absolute must, go on do it - be rude not too [;)]
I drove a GTI for the second time yesterday and was lucky to have it on some fast A roads. It really shifts, I can only imagine how much better it is when remapped. I've heard of cars pushing 270bhp with the Miltek system.

Did you need to upgrade your brakes to cope with the extra power?

·
Registered
199 Posts
mine is booked in for a revo download but im gona leave it for a bit as i need to get the brakes sorted they are just crap

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't have a problem with the brakes and feel thay are more than adequate for everyday road use but then again I have yet to do a track day so may not not be qualified to comment. When i first got the car Ithought the brakes didn't have a great amount of feel but they certainly stop it well enough.

I have regular use of the wifes Bora and a company pool car (Mondeo 136 TDCi) so I get to compare these 'regular saloon's' stoppers with mine - each time I get back into my car I get intimate with the windscreen after underestimating the GTi.

IMO get your car mapped and you can always upgrade later if required [:)]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
mine is booked in for a revo download but im gona leave it for a bit as i need to get the brakes sorted they are just crap
I'm glad it's not just me - I think my brakes are feminine, they have some really spongey off days... Not sure if I'd have to pee around with mine before I chip it.

Can't chip before Christmas though - will lose 6 of my 9 points [:$]

C

·
Registered
199 Posts
been looking into new stoppers but my god are they pricey . anyone fitted mk5 r32 brakes to a gti yet . might be a cheap way around this

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Anyone know how much torque the MkV GTI 6 speed gearbox can take?

400+NM?????
If it's anything like the 02M 6-speeder in the MkIV (it's probably the same unit) then it can handle plenty of torque - my gearbox was stripped at 40k for uprated clutch and LSD, has handled more torque than a puny GTI remap or not [;)] and it was in A1 condition. My local VW tech told me that the gearbox is very strong with no issues other than a s elector fork which can break.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Chungster. Its Dan from the SCN RR day up at Milton Keynes.

Im looking to get my New Leon Remapped now.. See you at the next RR day in October time? Would be good to get yours on the rollers and see how they compare..

Cheers.

·
Registered
538 Posts
hello

I have stage 1 APR remap, absolutely brilliant, agree it has factory feel only more everywhere. Chassis can cope no problem only lots of lights from traction control in 1st and 2nd, so I just turn it off. Apr quote 245bhp and lots of torque and it feels just like this. I had an S3 with APR, KN, hyperboost Samco's and much more rolling roaded at 265bhp and I'd put the Golf up against it anyday, if anything the midrange feels stronger in the Golf.

So go and get it done and enjoy

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know, I know.

would like nothing more than to roast the 225TT, but I am kindda think about the warranty and insurance complications? And if the GTI can put the extra power down, or will it end up like the VXR?
Hi guys new to the forum here ( I'm getting a GTI in the next 10 days [:D]) I may have read this wrong but i would of thought a standard TT once it has lost its traction off the line advantage would have very little on a GTI, due to the transmission loses, and the same again in remapped form ? , put this way on my private runway [;)] my car @ 270 bhp will pull away (slowy) from a standard LCR but not by nearly as much as I'd have wished [:$]

Anyway does any one have any thought on remapping a DSG car I remember on the early TT's the various mapping companies limiting the torque to protect the gearbox is this still the case ?

Rgds

Tony

1 - 19 of 19 Posts