Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to gauge whether the childminder we use for our daughter is expensive and how much people spend a month on childcare.

We've got baby another on the way and dont think the missus will be able to go back to work 2 days a week as the childcare for 2 kids per day will be more than she earns a day after tax.

i currently pay ?360 a month for 2 days a week for my 2 year old daughter. The government gives us ?47 towards childcare a month

If the second child goes to the same childminder for 2 days a week i will be paying ?720 a month for both kids[:'(]. The government will then give us ?47 a month towards childcare.[:'(]... no bloody change

Unfortunatley non of my or the other halves family want to help out for '1' day a week, even though the other halfs mum is a 4 day a week housewife.
Everyone else i seem to know with 2 kids get help looking after their kids from their family.

What do those of you with two kids do for childcare/working arrangements??

Muz

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
We made the decision for the Mrs to quit work altogether when we had our kids.

It's tough financially, you end up having to drive an old MK4 Golf [:p] but for us was the right thing to do.

Sometimes, like now with xmas coming it would be nice to have that 2nd income but I guess thats what credit cards are for !

·
Registered
643 Posts
Our 2 year old daughter goes to a local nursery for 2 days a week and that costs ?279 per month. Luckily our eldest is at school. My wife works 2 days a week, so the eldest goes to an after school club which costs another ?40 a month for 2 early evenings.

It sometimes feels like we are just working to pay for the childcare costs [:S]

In January our daughter is going to my wife's school (she's a teacher) which has a nursery attached to it - the cost will then be ?279 per term which is going to help the bank account hugely!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Currently working in Hong Kong and like most people in HK they hire a maid ;) which is what I have done , cost me 250quid a month, she looks after the baby while me and wife are at work, she does the washing, clean the house and even make dinner when we get back from work..the downer side of things is she have to stay with us.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I've got Child #1 in nursery for 3 days a weeks (aged 3).

My wife works the same 3 days (Tues-Thurs - from home - and gets a company car and a non-contributary 2/3rds final salary pension (for the time being LOL). I think we pay around ?550 for 1 child for 3 days.

Child #2 (aged 1) is about to start on a 3 day week soon.

I have to say I love the nursery and the people that work there. It is a charitable institution and the job is pretty much vocational. It certainly ain't a career. They do a great job and I know that although the money I have to find is crippling, the work they do and the meagre reward they get is more than justified.

Doubling the childcare will hurt.

I'll still have good brake pads but may have to drive around a bit more conservatively he-he.[:D]

·
Registered
143 Posts
Kids are expensive (and difficult). Any hint of any illness (however minor) then nurseries, child minders won't look after them. This causes alsorts of diificulties especially this time of year when kids exchange infections.

So, its a balance between finances, convienience and parental bonds. In my experience, minders run a mile if a child has a common cold, snuffles, conjunctivitis, slapped cheek infection, diarrhoea, impetigo, any rash, etc, etc or they charge more!

Its a very difficult compromise

·
Registered
146 Posts
We found that moving to a chldminder (from nursery) was a much cheaper option, and as we were expecting the second when we did this we negotiated a discounted rate for 2nd child. We found that there was a large range of pricing out there, and we telephone interviewed a lot of childminders having reviewed OFSTED reports for them first. We were fortunate to find a childminder who does it because she loves the job, and likes the fact she can make a living doing it. We pay ?400 a month for 5 days a week, with the second child costing ?75 a week when he/she starts to attend the childminders. Not only does it pay to shop around, but it makes a real difference in the quality of care your child ends up receiving. We found that the childminder has been significantly beneficial to the development & temperment of our little one, as we felt she was just not getting the attention she deserved at nursery, and ironically, it was ?46 a week more!!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Didnt put them in nursery till they were 2 due to costs, as said above its hard financially but better we feel long term for the kids.

now my youngest is three he goes 3 days a week and it costs ?300 per month BUT the LEA pay ?140 of that as we both work full time and its counted as pre school. For the other my mum has him and Lisa takes one day off.

Joseph has been to 2 nurserys and both had rates of ?25-?30 ish a day.

If your wife doesnt want to go back to work, but needs the cash and obviously theres a high demand in your area why not become a childcarer herself? you need some minor modifications to the house and there are rules regs and checks but it is all quite simple.

You get the best of bothe worlds then wife is earning, BUT more importantly your kids get to stay at home with her and not a stranger.

My wife was weeks of doing it till we got on option on a catering business.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Oh and dont just base it on price, Josephs last nursery was hopeless, he hated it and they did nothing for his child development. His pre school is excellent though, the amount of attention is awesome and everyday he learns something new.

And as its attached to a school it wont be so daunting when he moves up next year as they have visitis to the dinner hall etc so they get familiar with the enviroment.

·
Registered
146 Posts
BUT more importantly your kids get to stay at home with her and not a stranger.
I think this is based on an on going argument that children are better to be at home with a mother than being with a childminder or a nursery. We had the same concerns, but I think it must depend on the quality of care being received. A childminder is no more a 'stranger' than a teacher or carer in school, day care or a nursery. They will only be a stranger in any of those situations for a short time. We concluded that the benefits of being with a childminder are not detrimental in any way, in fact we feel that our two year old has benefitted immensley since starting with the childminer in May. From a development point of view, childminders are required by OFSTED to provide stimulated learning environments & activities (for which they receive training), our childminder visits a different playgroup/toddler group every day, so social skills are developed aswell as confidence being built (something which homebased children miss out on until pre-school & school). Simple things such as learning to share and play with others is very important, and benefits any child. I think there are pro's and con's to any situation, and at the end of the day, we're all out to do the best for our kids aren't we? We make sure that we spend time in the evenings, and pretty much dedicate the weekends to playing, learning and having as much quality time as possible, basically getting the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
186 Posts
we've got 3yr old twins which financially/emotionally/physically is tough work and the missus has given up work to look after them - they go to playgroup 4 mornings a week which is about all we can afford (as from January it'll be covered by government grant hurrah!) and like you we dont get any help from family apart from babysitting a few times a year (both sets of parents live within 2 miles of us as well).  We feel this is the best we can do for them at the moment as they spend time with their mother and time mixing with other children in a play/learn environment

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
BUT more importantly your kids get to stay at home with her and not a stranger.
I think this is based on an on going argument that children are better to be at home with a mother than being with a childminder or a nursery. We had the same concerns, but I think it must depend on the quality of care being received. A childminder is no more a 'stranger' than a teacher or carer in school, day care or a nursery. They will only be a stranger in any of those situations for a short time. We concluded that the benefits of being with a childminder are not detrimental in any way, in fact we feel that our two year old has benefitted immensley since starting with the childminer in May. From a development point of view, childminders are required by OFSTED to provide stimulated learning environments & activities (for which they receive training), our childminder visits a different playgroup/toddler group every day, so social skills are developed aswell as confidence being built (something which homebased children miss out on until pre-school & school). Simple things such as learning to share and play with others is very important, and benefits any child. I think there are pro's and con's to any situation, and at the end of the day, we're all out to do the best for our kids aren't we? We make sure that we spend time in the evenings, and pretty much dedicate the weekends to playing, learning and having as much quality time as possible, basically getting the best of both worlds.
Whooahh dont get me wrong I am not criticising anyone for using a childmider, as you say it is the quality of the care, My 3 year old loves my Mum soo much he wont even come home, and when he goes to nursery he cries to go to heres, not stay with us. This is because my Mum Lavishes him with attention, not TV or his own way, but constant palying, teaching, and ALOT of reading.

The fact its my mum is neither here nor there its the way she interacts and spends time with him that matters.

I really feel for you guys whos familys cant or wont help out its the one thing I am really really gratefull of, and I am sure we wouldnt have been able to do what we do without a close helpfull family.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sorry, did I come across too defensive?? Not my intention, which is why I commented that we are all just trying to do the best for our kids, and it is a common debate. As it happens, family don't help out in our case, so we have less choices, but I think family help would be a good thing.

Our two year old would cry when she was at nursery, hence us wanting to take her out of that environment. I think you have hit the nail on the head with what you said about constant attention, playing, teaching and reading, irrespective of who's giving it, be it a childminder, grandparent or parent.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
(as from January it'll be covered by government grant hurrah!)

and like you we dont get any help from family apart from babysitting a few times a year (both sets of parents live within 2 miles of us as well).
Is this a grant thats avaibale to all parents???

Does it cause any animosity between you/missus and your/her family as regards not lookimg after the kids??
its startuing to cause resentment with me and the missus..... all we are asking for is 1 day!!

Ive asked at work if they can change my hours but they have said it will affect the business too much.... so thats a no go-er.

It really racks me off as everyone else i know with kids seems to get lots of help from their parents/family.... but yet and neither mine or the missus family will help out. (what are family for??)

anyway.... enough of my winjing...

Only 2 weeks to go and i'm going to be a dad again[:D][<:eek:)][Y]

·
Registered
380 Posts
Kids are expensive (and difficult). Any hint of any illness (however minor) then nurseries, child minders won't look after them. This causes alsorts of diificulties especially this time of year when kids exchange infections.

So, its a balance between finances, convienience and parental bonds. In my experience, minders run a mile if a child has a common cold, snuffles, conjunctivitis, slapped cheek infection, diarrhoea, impetigo, any rash, etc, etc or they charge more!

Its a very difficult compromise
My wife is a childminder, so I know only too well that parents will try to leave their children with her with all manner of illnesses, often without telling her that their child has been sick all night, hasn't slept, has a temperature and some of the conditions are highly contagious.

Is this fair on the other children and if the childminder catches something from a child who is ill and has to take time off work, then all parents will suffer. And no she does run a mile at the slightest sniffle, but diarrhoea is extremely infectious and impetigo is a notifiable condition as well as being highly contagious and as fredster points out, kids exchange infections.

She charges ?3.50 an hour, so an 8 hours day is ?28 or ?140 a week. Others charge more or less depending on the area.

Obviously I am biased but Childminders provide care that is closest to that provided by parents whilst giving the stimulation and social skills that nurseries provide.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Our local nursery will be charging us ?36 per day when the little one attends from next July, we have opted for 3 days per week and the grandparents have elected to do the other 2. I think if you find the right nursery it can really help with the development but the costs are significant but I'm sure we all agree our kids are worth every penny :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
and the grandparents have elected to do the other 2.
OOOO im soo jealous.... [:O] Do your parents work at all???

WTF is it with mine and the missus's parents?? im not asking for the earth..... just 1 day a week not even a full 8 hours as i finish early/start late most weeks.

If they babysat for 1 day a week i'd be ?300+ pounds a month better off and the missus could go back to work like she wants to.

If they babysat for 2 days a week i'd be ?700+ pounds a month better off and a damn site better off finacially!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
In reply to Mustard, completely agree with difficulties from the child minder perspective.  It all adds to the difficulties of commitment to parenthood.  Its a difficult compromise. 

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

WTF is it with mine and the missus's parents?? im not asking for the earth..... just 1 day a week not even a full 8 hours as i finish early/start late most weeks.

If they babysat for 1 day a week i'd be ?300+ pounds a month better off and the missus could go back to work like she wants to.

If they babysat for 2 days a week i'd be ?700+ pounds a month better off and a damn site better off finacially!!
Not prying but do you or your wife have younger siblings? is it a case of the last has just fled the nest so they want there space?

are you young did they approve of having kids?

could they do a half day each, you say they live local, they may find a half day gives them a taster without long term commitment, put it to them like that IE you if give up after a month it doesnt matter its only half a day.

it sounds like bothe sets of parents have the same problems/attitude ask them outright, make it a row if your that way inclined.

my dad had no time for me and my brother as kids, not maliciously he was just working his guts out for a better life, now as a grandparent he does things with my kids he never did with us, even has to hide them from my 26 year old brother as he gets peed about it.

my father in law lives for my eledest, maybe hes the Boy he never had, but he goves him the time and attention I cant at my age, hell he taught him to use a screwdriver at 3....

believe me I have a complicated moody family and we have our rows and family arguments, outside looking in, I reckon you have one grandparent affecting his spouse, and in turn the other couple think they have to go along with it.... get the problem out in the open.

if that doesnt work, leave application forms for new zealand emigration around..

ps if they are elderly it may be they are scared of getting too involved and not being around much longer. my parents are in there 50's and live like there 25 (out 4 times a week and work 60 hours plus) and my otheres are in there 60's just retired.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Not prying but do you or your wife have younger siblings? is it a case of the last has just fled the nest so they want there space?

are you young did they approve of having kids?

could they do a half day each, you say they live local, they may find a half day gives them a taster without long term commitment, put it to them like that IE you if give up after a month it doesnt matter its only half a day.

it sounds like bothe sets of parents have the same problems/attitude ask them outright, make it a row if your that way inclined.

my dad had no time for me and my brother as kids, not maliciously he was just working his guts out for a better life, now as a grandparent he does things with my kids he never did with us, even has to hide them from my 26 year old brother as he gets peed about it.

my father in law lives for my eledest, maybe hes the Boy he never had, but he goves him the time and attention I cant at my age, hell he taught him to use a screwdriver at 3....

believe me I have a complicated moody family and we have our rows and family arguments, outside looking in, I reckon you have one grandparent affecting his spouse, and in turn the other couple think they have to go along with it.... get the problem out in the open.

if that doesnt work, leave application forms for new zealand emigration around..

ps if they are elderly it may be they are scared of getting too involved and not being around much longer. my parents are in there 50's and live like there 25 (out 4 times a week and work 60 hours plus) and my otheres are in there 60's just retired.
oh and remind them as well, when they need looking after in the future, remind them who's picking there home...I tell my Dad that Regularly. (he then tells me hes out so often desparetly trying to spend our inheritance)

what comes around goes around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts