Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snobby comment from one of my mates yesterday annoyed the hell out of me, so I felt I had to share/get it off my chest. Just for the record, he owns a 3-dr mkV R32 Penis Extension (or rather, part-owns it: daddy paid 9 out of the 14k it cost, but he's paying it back).

I recently acquired a set of Montreal II's that need a refurb. I've decided to get them powdercoated in satin black as I feel that it'll fit my BMP Bora better than gloss or matte, or Reflex silver. Plus I plan to sort of go for the murdered look over time (Involuntary Homicide?), so they need to be black.

As we were talking cars, I though I'd mention the powdercoating decision. His reply was: "Aren't your wheels a bit small for powdercoating?"

Followed shortly by:

"Plus, its only a mkiv..."

My reaction: [:mad:]

Polite words were NOT used.

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I plan to, further down the line, I've bought them so that I can have something nicer in the shortterm. I'm having them powdercoated because it'll be more hardwearing than paint.

It was the snobbishness that annoyed me more than the actual comments, if that makes sense, as it wasn't that long ago that he owned a mkiv GTTDI himself, and thought that it was the best thing since sliced bread (with such comments as "who needs a mkv/vi anyway? The newer stuff breaks easier")

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Make your bora pd130 faster than his r32 and destroy him.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Beating his R32 with a R36 twin turbo wont annoy him at all .... the R36 should be faster anyway.

However........ beating him in a 1.9 tdi ...... you can take the piss verbally for life.

The satisfaction gained from doing it in the 1.9 tdi compared to R36 is priceless.

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, but my having the R36 at all would probably annoy him, and at the very least stop him from waffling about how good the R32 is.

As to the bora... well, its still a tdi, but its not a 1.9. Other than money, the main issues will be orientation and whether the thing'll fit in the bay at all (not giving a lot away ther at all, am I... [:p] )

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Hmmmm interesting, your going to fit bigger engine ...... 3.0 v6 tdi attempt?

Thats cruel, tell us!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
i prefer the mk4 R32! mk5 front end and rear end just doesnt look right! r32 started with the mk4 so he cant talk,,
Same here, i would buy the mk4 R32 over mk5 no doubt at all.

·
Registered
18,140 Posts
You should point out that his front arch's stick out more than the rears,the hyena look(wider at the front than the back) isn't a good thing[+o(]

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
In short, the guy sounds like a ***t. Sounds like he's looking for a reaction.

Yes, 16" wheels aren't big these days, but as an everyday wheel, the mkiv will probably ride best on these. Somedays I think about putting mine back to standard due to the terrible roads!

Given the fact that your mate doesn't own 'his' car - tell him to get bent and grow up!

·
NooNoo
9,450 Posts
There is no escaping fellas the mk5 is a much much better car than the mk4.

However, the mk5 lacks character, something the mk4 has in abundance [Y]

I'd just ignore your 'mate'.

[:)]

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
16" and 17" rims do look tiny, which is probably why the comment was made. Why not save up and buy some bigger rims, then you win the argument. [:D]

Wigster.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
you mite as well paint them tbh. Powder coating aint that more tougher if any. I have had both PC and painted rims and didnt realisticly notice the difference. if a stone hits ya rim at 70mph its gonna chip it no matter what its covered with. I see what ya mates saying, maybe ya taken it a bit to heart. No one likes a twunt with a flash car mummy and daddy have paid for so the jokes on him nor those chumps with brand new cars. I could quite easy go and get a big fast flash motor on finance but hang on..... it aint actually mine isit. least yours is out your own pocket. Dont let him wind you up and buy some bigger wheels already!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts