Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening folks.

Just joined and was wondering if anyone can tell me the best oil to put in a 1.9 TDI?

I can see myself spending far too much time on here......

Many thanks

x

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Hi Skagirl , Welcome to the forum.

In order to determine which oil your engine takes, ill need to know whether its a PD engine ? If you are unsure just let me know the year of your car and possibly the engine code if you know it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Right then , you will need PD engine oil [:)] Obviously available from all dealers and i think some places like GSF and Euro car parts supply it. Castrol also make PD engine oil named as "Edge" available from the likes of halfords but expect to pay more

If i remember right for 5 litres from dealers its about ?35 and your engine will take about 4 litres, so you are still left with some for top up. Pd engine oil is also longlife oil.

Hope this helped [y]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
FYI, Millers oils only did a 10K or 1 year oil but they recently do a long life oil which exceeds VW's spec!

Be sure not to stray from PD spec oil as the injection system (Bosch) and the oil (Castrol) were developed to work together. Diesels tend to need more regular checking of oil levels, though an on board oil level should be on your car. I think I get through about 2 litres of top up oil a year.

Which diesel engine have u got (115, 130, 150)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh........ only a 105 (Match). So i'd be well behind you!

Quite fancy the V6 4MOTION DSG though.....or do you think 105 to 250ps is a bit excessive?!

lol

·
Registered
6,881 Posts

Quite fancy the V6 4MOTION DSG though.....or do you think 105 to 250ps is a bit excessive?!

lol
I think you have a common rail engine then and not a PD, and it will be 100bhp or 110.

As for the 4motion, go for it!

EDIT: doh, a MKV, take it all back!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

lol
Opps sorry [:$]

Ahem... I didn't mean to neglect the 105 TDi Match! I was driving a Passat 1.8 Sport till I could afford my TDi - it didn't even have a turbo!

Well I've never driven a 4-mo but I've been told from someone who has that my 150 has more bottom end and the 4-mo more top end (apart from 4x4 and optional sports suspension)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

lol
I think you have a common rail engine then and not a PD, and it will be 100bhp or 110.

I always thought PD was VW`s way of saying Common rail.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts

lol

I always thought PD was VW`s way of saying Common rail.
I always thought it was pumpe duese which was not common rail? Therefore a normal 100bhp TDI being common rail and a 115pd being, erm, pumpy.

Can someone clarify and please make me right so that Trollgeddon can go suck on something large [:p][:D] (and no I'm not offering dude!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahem........oh dear i think i may have caused some confusion!

Yes you are right and i'm quite obviously having a moment......of what i'm not sure.

The Match 100bhp would be a more accurate description! i agree!

Now whos blushing[:$]

Oh dear i'm getting less and less power as we so on![;)]

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Well, technically you MAY be right (hope im wrong so i can suck something) But at the end of the day , Common rail + PD are both High pressure systems. So im undeiced at the moement but i would like to know the correct answer [:D]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Well, technically you MAY be right (hope im wrong so i can suck something) But at the end of the day , Common rail + PD are both High pressure systems. So im undeiced at the moement but i would like to know the correct answer [:D]
Your the mechanic aint you? Or have I got you confused with someone else?

Your the mechanic or you professional cross dresser? Can't remember which? [:p]

Ska, welcome to the board! Don't think I ever got round to saying that!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Indeed i am EJO, but i deal with Bmw`s... which their new Diesels are called Common Rails and nothing stupid like "Pumpe Deuse". Unfortunatly in any profession you cant know everything [;)]

But its hard to say whether PD`s are common rail ... like i said they are high pressure systems...typical of a common rail but they happen to have pumps on each injector i believe... so really it can lean both ways like you [:O] For the hell of it they may not be common and just in a league of their own. Ive never thought about it, with you on my mind 24/7

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now i am doubting everything! Just checked my V5 and mines def a PD. Does that mean i've actually got a 110bhp not a 100?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Skagirl, best thing to do is check your engine code, on mine there is a sticker underneath the boot carpet...right next to the spare wheel. That way you cant really go wrong. What has it matched up as on your insurance?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dont worry Skagirl, soon you may discover the world of remapping, then you`ll be smiling about your Bhp.
Yes i wish! My dad's got a Seat LCR. (Not the new shape) Had it remapped and got 284bhp first time. Wont let me drive it though! Bummer.

Maybe one day.[:D]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Skagirl, best thing to do is check your engine code, on mine there is a sticker underneath the boot carpet...right next to the spare wheel. That way you cant really go wrong. What has it matched up as on your insurance?
Or the first page of your service manual may have the sticker in.

As far as I can tell though, the Match version has 103bhp. There is no other 1.9 TDI match.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts