Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sliced about an inch of the outside of my hand on a stupid cheap computer case while trying to put the mobo plate in [:'(]

It's bleeding like theres no tommorow.....I'm gonna cry...again!

Whats the worst accident you have had with a computer?! I'm sure many of you have done this!

I also caught my thumb nail on the cas earlier and sliced the nail, if anything makes my stomach churn, that does [:(] I think I'm gonna chuck this computer build out of the window!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Done the same a few times myself. My mates company sells some cheap
cases for about ?19 - they're well made for the money, all rounded
edges etc. I just built a pc for someone with one and was quite
impressed considering.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Ditto, sliced finger on cheap case, bled like a tap, stomach churning and got a craving for food, rushed over to petrol station next door with severe tunnel vision and nearly blacked out. I'm cool with the sight of my own blood and have had much worse injuries but somehow don't like the idea of losing fingers [:|]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
For a moment I thought you were going to ask for recommendations for a cheap case, at which point I was going to throw a wet kipper in your face, glad that's not the case. Erm... not that kind of case.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ditto, sliced finger on cheap case, bled like a tap, stomach churning and got a craving for food, rushed over to petrol station next door with severe tunnel vision and nearly blacked out. I'm cool with the sight of my own blood and have had much worse injuries but somehow don't like the idea of losing fingers [:|]
LOL I neeeeeed sugar! Know that feeling, I did a post about it when my dog caught me with his teeth when I was playing with his bone. Nearly went, sweated like never before and went seriously giddy, was only a small nick!

This didnt effect me at all apart from now stinging and being annoying.

I'm doing an upgrade basically and this is one of those really shiny, weighs nothing cases that when you touch the sides you dent them!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I have a problem anyway.

The system turns on doesnt display anything on the screen and the hard drive does not boot. The ATX power connection is shorter than the actual connection, so I am missing 2 pins if you get what I mean.

Also, I do not have the 4 pin power connector on this case.

The hard drive does not seem to be booting up and the cd rom drives, although one of them makes a noise, they will not open. There is no beeping.

Now, this computer came from france and my boss (who I'm doing it for) is pretty insistent on keeping the original case and fans.

Any bright sparks? The system itself is one of the very first ATX types, I would think its about 6 years old. Best to go the whole hog now and put the original back together? I built a PC the other day no probs, but havent built PC's for years so I'm not 100% up to speed on all the new technology. The only difference was the one I built the other day was a total new system bar pretty new Mesh case and the cd rom drives.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahh well that will solve that one. I got the motherboard bundle from ebuyer.

See here if anyone is interested http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=97166

I got it a lot cheaper than that, I think it was about 80 quid for one day only and fitted what I wanted.

Obviously at the moment I have a 20 pin going into the 24pin. It all turns on ok, but doesnt seem to power the HDD etc. Time to put the old one back together, cut myself some more and then go from there, either sell this motherbaord etc on the bay and buy a machine or use what I got and build from there, depends what the boss says really.

I just find it easier to buy direct from dell than build these days unless I want something to my own spec like the other day [:$]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The new E-ATX mobos have 24 pins rather than 20pins but other than that can't help.
That's the EPS ATX 2.0 connector, I'm currently building a Xeon server that uses this. The motherboard manufacturer (MSI) told me you can actually use a normal 20-pin ATX on these, as the motherboard connector is designed to accept both 20 and 24-pin. Still, I stuck with the Akasa PaxPower 460W with EPS.

Graham, what processor is it? The 4-pin 12V was only introduced with the power hungry Pentium 4 and now AMD chips as well. a Pentium III (if it's really six years old) doesn't need that.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Just get a new power supply. Make it a good one or you'll get all manner of weird stability problems.

Dash over to Overclockers now and get an Akasa PaxPower unit, they're very quiet and have the 24-pin EPS connector.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Good quality cases needn't be expensive. Antec offer good PSU-less models from ?30.00-35.00. They also do ones with PSU's such as the 1650's from about ?45.00-?50.00.

As you're probably finding out with this re-build - apart from the dodgy build quality of the case. Your issue is with your Power Supply. You say the case is up to 6 years old? I'm guessing it came with a cheap PSU then and it's never been upgraded since. You'll need at least a 300w True Power Supply (stay away from Qtec / "Generic" junk - these are absoloutely terrible).

Stick to reputable suppliers with brand names and you'll get on far better. Nexus and Akasa offer a good range of Power Supplies that are well featured with lots of extra connectors, and are very good at powering many systems. Higher up the league would be units from Tagan, Antec etc - but you generally do pay a premium for them. A good 350w PSU will be about ?30.00-?35.00 normally.

Your current problem relates to your 24-Pin Motherboard, and 20-Pin Power Supply. Either change the Power Supply for a 24-Pin ATX Power Supply, or if you want to be a real cheapskate then grab a 20 to 24-Pin ATX Adapter cable. This connects in line between the Motherboard and Power Supply, providing that extra Power to the Motherboard. Also make sure the 4-Pin 12v AUX Connector is also wired up.

These adapters are available from Maplins if you have one locally - alternatively many online suppliers stock them. The company I work for supplies these, and comes upon these problems daily and I cringe whenever I see people doing upgrades for friends, family and other people "on the cheap".

Hope this helps mate.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The 1650 is a quality case for the money, you get the Antec power supply which is quiet, and a quiet, large diameter fan, and a CPU funnel for cold air intake. However, the bottom of the three 5.25" bays is useless for a CD/DVD drive because it overlaps the corner of the motherboard, so the rear of the drive will be obstructed and you can't put it all the way in. Granted, most people don't have all the bays filled with CD/DVD drives but it's a silly little feature in an otherwise decent value case.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.