Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone please point me in the direction of a site where I can purchase a VAG-COM cable at a decent price!?

I have seen the ones on Ebay but dont like the idea of faulty goods/being ripped-off!!

Or maybe someone is selling theirs?!? (I'll have a look in the classifieds next!!)

Cheers peeps...[:)]

Robin

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers 'rfsteel', I might have a go at making one myself!!

Is the dual k-line feature important to us Golf-mk4/Bora owners??

Also, do you think there is any danger in making my own interface? i.e. could I destroy my ecu? Wiring loom?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

I have a cable of which I bought brand new off this Forum, I also have a PCMCIA SERIAL PORT CARD if your pc has not got a Serial port.

Just download shareware from vag.com and you can do limited functions however you will need to dowload full version to adjust any settings.

Cable is brand new but PCMCIA card is third hand, I will sell both for ?50 or ?35 for just cable.

Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Once you receive the cable, if you have success, and are happy with it could you forward the details of the seller to me?

Thanks in advance

Rich

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but what parts do I need to get from the skpang website to make my own cable? I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron so would like to have a crack at making my own cable. I've got a 1999 GTI. Cheers in advance for any help on this.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote: posted by aquickone on 16/09/2004 22:39:04

This is probably a stupid question, but what parts do I need to get from the skpang website to make my own cable? I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron so would like to have a crack at making my own cable. I've got a 1999 GTI. Cheers in advance for any help on this.

I am a quick draw with a soldering iron also after remapping bags of Ps2's but 'aquickone' the parts would be

ELM323 Component kit 36.95

Empty OBDII connector and cable kit 18.70

Plus VAT and 4.50ish postage

So toted up inc Vat around 70quid had the X-Two OBDII Interface del next day for 75 quid...

up and running on VAG-COM...with in mins

I sure if you take the time to get the full component list as

separate items it will probably be around the same.

Plus anything wrong with your connections and PUFF goes the GTI Dragon..

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you don't believe me, why don't you ask SK Pang? Notice he sells interfaces which are compatible with VAG-COM, and a totally different page, he sells ELM323 interfaces. They are not the same!

-Uwe-

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Why mess around get a Ross-Tech interface, no compatability issues and if you have a problem with it on your computer they will help you.

That is what I did, bought a Twin-Com Serial Interface, and I will be upgrading to a HEX-CAN in the next few months so that I can connect to the modules in the Mark V.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote: posted by Uwe on 17/09/2004 16:07:16

If you don't believe me, why don't you ask SK Pang? Notice he sells interfaces which are compatible with VAG-COM, and a totally different page, he sells ELM323 interfaces. They are not the same!

-Uwe-

Hey,

Chill dude I believe you ok..never doughted u..

I just looked on the 'components list page' for "aquickone" to try to answer his question. ok I was wrong...sorry

Mine works fine thanks... EOS

·
Registered
643 Posts
I bought a lead off skpang - wish I hadn't bothered. Lead fell apart after a few tries in different cars. In the end bought the upgraded lead from ross-tech - works a treat now and I don't have to worry about activation. Also ross-tech lead comes with a warranty - not sure about the skpang lead. They say you pays for what you get - I learn't the hard way - don't make the same mistake as me [:(!]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok, but for the life of me i can't find a uk supplier of the ross-tech cable, does anyone know of one?

I could really do with the cable by thursday i've just fitted a new bare engine to my 110tdi in approx 16 hours flat (inc. a few t breaks) and need to set the dynamic injection timing (local dealer quoted me ?205 ex vat for this duty[V], I dont think so)ready for my trip to manchester on friday,

i'm beggining to give up hope of this happening though as i don't want to get the cable from the above if it's going to fall apart,

[:O] oh how nothing is ever simple, shame i missed the group buy, were did those cables come from?

Any help on this matter greatly appreciatted[xx(]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts