Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how much it would cost to lower my car.....

Its a 53 plate 130 PD (3 door if that matters) - would only want to lower it 35mm really, nothing extreme, and nothing that will cause problems or need any mods doing. Will have 17's with 225/45 tyres, so dont want any arch mods needed, and dont want to have to go to the extra expense of buying a new ARB either (for the drive shaft rubbing issue), these are only required if you go 40mm or more lower aren't they?

Not bothered about it being adjustable either really, just a decent set of springs and matched dampers, though obviously would think about coilies depending on price, but the lowered look is the main reason.

Seen Spax VSX kit on big boys toys site for ?250, what's this like?

Also, how much to have them fitted?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Have a look at Shane's car on one of the suspension threads - he's got Eibachs and Bilsteins and it looks well.

Spax had an excellent reputation, then went through a bad patch and now they seem to be re-inventing themselves.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Lots of bricks in the boot would do it.  One of the cheapest shock / spring combo that is an improvment over OEM is the Koni RSK Kit.  I paid about ?230 for it delivered.

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
let all the air out of your tyres [:D]

Or buy some gti suspension off someone who's upgraded their GTI

·
Registered
824 Posts
Lots of bricks in the boot would do it. One of the cheapest shock / spring combo that is an improvment over OEM is the Koni RSK Kit. I paid about ?230 for it delivered.
Where did you get it from for that price? Was that for both springs and shocks?

·
Registered
383 Posts
So for the koni's wots the difference between the RSK and SSK kits, plus what do they mean? Is the rsk the road sus kit and the ssk the sport sus kit? i'm assuming that what it means,

I've been looking at the sport sus kit and the prices are all over the place!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
GSF or Euro Car parts do some lowering springs for about 60 odd quid, you can't get cheaper than that !

Not sure if they would be any good though.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If your not planning to go below 30mm then you really don't need to worry about the shocks as they are the same length as the standard ones. Springs alone will be your cheapest option. But remember you get what you pay for, so the cheapest may not be the best

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Here's another couple of options:

Bilstein Streetline Kit Golf 4 ?199+vat

Apex Suspension Kit Mk4 Golf ?225+vat

However like Zeke said, depending how old your shocks are, it might be
a cheaper and almost as effective route just going for some good
springs ie:

Eibach ?115+vat or Koni for ?69+vat!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for replies everyone, some good info.

Ade, are those kits (Bilstein and Apex) both springs and shocks? What are they like qualitywise? What drop are they, I only want about 35mm nothing extreme, but more than 20.

Shocks are still original, and car is 2 years old now, but I thought it caused them to wear out really quickly if you dropped it with springs alone?

Or can I get Koni springs at ?69 (is that for all 4?) and then how much for shocks? - but dont you have to make sure they're 'matched' to the springs or something?

Sorry for lots of Q's but I want to know how much I'm looking at for a decent quality (nothing crap that will break after a year) setup, so I know how much to save up; as unfortunately we're not all blessed with oodles of cash we can afford to spend!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bump!

So if I were to put just some Eibach Pro Kit springs which (according to Awesome's website) drop it 30mm, will this cause any issues with the shocks or is it, as zeke says, that new shocks are same length anyway.

Dont wanna go this route, then have to change my shocks a year after cos they're worn out.

p.s. Ade - how much do you charge for fitting?

(any forum discount? [;)])

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Bump!

So if I were to put just some Eibach Pro Kit springs which (according to Awesome's website) drop it 30mm, will this cause any issues with the shocks or is it, as zeke says, that new shocks are same length anyway.

Dont wanna go this route, then have to change my shocks a year after cos they're worn out.

p.s. Ade - how much do you charge for fitting?

(any forum discount? [;)])
Change the shocks to uprated units regardless. It's not just about the shock length but its damping rate. A shorter spring has to be stiffer in order to prevent bottoming out, and a standard shock won't provide the correct damping rates and you'll end up with a crashy ride and possibly reduced traction.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
cheapest soloution would be to cut your springs!! sorry, im in a silly mood tonight. people have done that though!! fools!!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you have to worry the dampers being 'matched' to springs though?

The Eibach springs thing as a nice cheap option, if I start looking at shocks too, thats gonna boost the price up another couple hundred from what prices I've seen.

Is there likely to be a difference in fitting costs for springs only, and springs and dampers, or just the extra time it will take?

Seriously? people have thought "hmmm.....think I'll cut a big chunk of spring off, that'll lower the bugger!" ? [:O] [:O]

Well, I know I can just lower on springs cheaply (around ?130 + fitting) so will keep an eye for deals on full susp. setups. I really need to lower it though, but might be next year as we're just about to put a complete new bathroom in which is gonna soak up some cash I could be spending on my car!

[:(] [:'(]

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Benn130TDI-
Yes both kits are shocks and springs...the bilstein kit drops about 35mm and the Apex 40mm ish. I havent personally used the Apex kit as its a new range of ours but the Bilstein is a good OE quality kit, the ride will be a bit harsher though with the Ventura springs that Bilstein put with their kit.

What mileage is on your car? we normally suggest if its done over 60,000 then its worth getting new shocks if you want to drop it as older shocks will wear quicker with lowering springs.

Yes you could put Koni's with something like the Bilstein shocks, i dont have prices on these individually but would estimate them to be around ?150+vat

Again, if you've got low mileage on your current shocks, from what you've said, i would just recommend some good quality springs...

The Eibachs will go with your shocks perfectly... i think fitting on springs is about ?150+vat - would have to check on this as the prices have gone up recently and no-one has let me know what to :(

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
As Ade has suggested, I'd do the new Koni sports springs with a set of Bilstein B4s.

From a friends experience the Ventura springs in the Bilstein kit aren't the best (he blew 2 pairs of backs shocks in 4 months 'cos they were too soft)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts