Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new to this site .. I have a 2.0 GTTDI and have a tuning related question.

There's a guy on ebay selling tuning box's for ?19 pounds .. Ses something about fuel temperature and fooling the ECU ..

Seems awfully cheap to me .. Has anyone tried these so called box's or does anyone know if there a bit dodgey and likely to do something

horid to my car ??

There claim is 25BHP Gain !!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TDI-Diesel-Tuning-MOD-Chip-PD-VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-FORD_W0QQitemZ8028947996QQcategoryZ32094QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TDi-PD-Diesel...029104850QQcategoryZ32094QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks in Advance

Steve

·
Registered
658 Posts
This is an S11 resistor inside a box which although will make the car quicker, it will also kill the engine with overfueling due to high pressure causing bore wash quickly.

The resistor is 19p

·
Registered
294 Posts
what about tuning boxes that appear to be more professional. Such as the ones that mirror the design of tune-it or van aaken?  Thoese that also have the serial connection?

·
Registered
658 Posts
It is hard to say without looking at them but just to let you know.

We stocked tuning boxes from one of europes leading makers who supply a few uk companies and found them to be nothing more than resistors and potentiometers costing no more than ?2 to make and nasty.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'll be honest I have just bought one from ebay. I know you will frown : ( but I have bought it on the principle that it appears its from a decent seller who is trying to establish a new business from tuning modules. I have also been in contact with another buyer of the same item for advise on the product before my final bid. At the end of the day it cost ?65 and if it seems to have side effects such as smoke I will simply resell (to no one on here of course) but as usual ebay will become a victim of itself!

Any advise you could possibly give that will help me establish if I have simply been sold an 'evry mod' in fancy dress?

N.B I have also emailed the seller and mentioned I am a VW enthusiast and a long standing member of a well respected MKIV & MKV owner's club & web forum where I would review the product sharing my thoughts with everyone on here.

The sellers website is tdi-tuning.co.uk

·
Registered
658 Posts
It is hard to say wether or not this item is any good untill you get it delivered and open it up.

All i can say is that as above, i used one of europes leading companies and all they were was resistors and i invested thousands in them.

Obviously we took the loss on the chin as the company wouldnt refund and i wouldnt sell them to my customers.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Adam - from the link you've posted their products connect to the fuel temperature sender - that's the give-away that it's an EVRY resistor mod. The more advanced tuning boxes connect to the fuel rail (on PD cars) with the larger round multi-pin connectors and alter things like injector opening time to increase the power.

Jay will tell you that a map goes even further and has the capability to alter boost as well as fuelling within certain parameters. The benefit of a decent box is that it's completely untraceable when it's unplugged.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks for your help guys as peed as I am parting with me paypal cash funds : (

Would you advise I dont even attempt to fit it when it arrives - will it cause damage?

I'm confussed as some many people seem to suggest doing the evry mod!

·
Registered
658 Posts
you may be lucky.

when it arives, open the box, take a picture then post it here for me to see, i will tell you exactly what is it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when you say it will kill the engine .. do you mean bugger it completey ??

Sorry as I am a non techy person, what the **** is bore wash

I feel like sending the thing straight back now ..

Cheers for the advice

Steve

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
These boxes don't kill the engine but they keep it in tip top health either. Overfuelling will cause damage of one sort or another.

Bore wash is when excess petrol literally 'washes' the oil off the inside of the cylinder bores and the rings then can cause damage by scoring, loss of compression, f*cked engine........

Diesels don't suffer as much because diesel is an oil in itself whereas petrol is not. I should add that excess diesel in the engine oil is a bad thing too......

·
Registered
65 Posts
These boxes don't kill the engine but they keep it in tip top health either. Overfuelling will cause damage of one sort or another.

Bore wash is when excess petrol literally 'washes' the oil off the inside of the cylinder bores and the rings then can cause damage by scoring, loss of compression, f*cked engine........

Diesels don't suffer as much because diesel is an oil in itself whereas petrol is not. I should add that excess diesel in the engine oil is a bad thing too......
You cannot bore wash a diesel as you correctley said.......... diesel has loads of oil in to start with, overfueling results in excess smoke, and oil becoming contaminated quicker as you said, also MPG suffers lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just fitted said gadget ..

First the +'s

Easy to fit,No smoke , idling OK.

_'s

No extra performance either ??? :-(

Probably an empty box :-O

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
Hi

Sorry you have had the problem with this.

With tuning it is better to go with something that is more recognised.

We offer remaps.

This is the way forward if you are looking at better gains.

www.custom-code.co.uk is what we can offer.

This is a very good remap.

We have been doing rolling road days for a while now and have seen all types of tuning boxes and remaps.

It is always better to go for remaps as this is not hardware but software so there is no need to take the ECU off and open it up.

Check the web site out.

If I can help you further please just let me know.

Sarah

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi all, received my tuning box yesterday from tdi-tuning.co.uk - won on ebay for 65 inc postage.

I must admit the design and quality is better than expected. VAG connectors and decent serial connection. The box itself isn't too big (probably) about 2.5" by 1.5". Has the companies sticker on one side which looks ok but could have been more professional. The design is one box with serial connector. The serial cable itself has 1 cable that spurs another connection from the main connector that connects to the fuel temp guage.

Also comes with cable ties that are in a sealed VAG bag. I have carefully opened up the box, held together by 4 screws, without damaging it at all. Unfortunately as most people seem to find its internals are all consealed within a solid coloured glue. Assume this is to stop their design, most probably just the EVRY mod, from being discovered and also offering a water tight design.

I will fit the box this afternoon and take it for a test drive. Of course I will take it easy to start allowing the engine/oil to warm before testing its potential.

N.B before purchasing this product I have done lots of research into its design but none to any success. I am however convinced that this is one of the better tuning boxes from the budget offers seen. I do however realise that this is most probably just the 150oms resister in a box (EVRY mod). Only time will tell.

I will report back later tonight.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well - what a day! maybe not for the reasons your thinking! Had a bit of a nightmare, taking on too much without enough time/daylight - attempted to fix several rattles (removal of most the interior panels from under the steering column) Whilst also thinking this would be the ideal time to install a long awaited W8 light/loom....bad idea and took most of the day - dont ask, another story!

Started of by giving the car a quick once over (cleaned yesterday) checking oil levels and gave the engine bay a quick clean. Decided upon a neat and hiden installation point (located within the battery box). I decided to wrap the box in some anti-slip material. Not to avoid slipping but to help pad out the box for a snug installation between the battery and its protective casing. I also insulated the tuning box with electrical tape. I then neatly tied up all the excess cable and connected as indicated by the instructions (fuel temp sensor) Started her up and all was normal.....

A few seconds later the ESP light came on - the ESP button does nothing!!! I assume either the Tuning box has disabled the ESP system or the tuning box has caused the EMS (engine management system) to malfunction???

Anyone come across this before with a tuning box/evry mod?

Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
294 Posts
POST CORRECTION/UPDATE:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I can now confirm that the ESP fault was not a result of the Tuning Box. As I mentioned yesterday I had a bit of a nightmare with my installation of the W8 light install and ended up blowing a fuse, both personally and literally!<o:p></o:p>

This morning I popped into the local stealers and bought a fuse (well x1 pack of various fuses) this resolved all faults that were thought to be caused by the tuning box. Once out of sight from the stealers I re-connected the Tuning box that was disconnected yesterday as a precaution. The tuning box/suspected evry mod is very impressive and gives a noticeable increase with acceleration.. I can honestly say that I was laughing all the way up to a tonne (km/h of course cough, cough).<o:p></o:p>

Ok so there's an instant win if an increase in power is all your worried about! However as my car is still relatively new, under warranty and not to mention my pride and joy I decided to disconnect the device asap. My concerns are as everyone will point out, any so called 'tuning box/module' that connects to the temp sensor is highly likely to be a simple resistor - commonly known as the evry mod which although will give quick short term results is known to have negative and potentially damaging affects to the cars engine and components as a result of over fueling.

Unfortunately I bought this device off ebay before realising it was a resistor mod in fancy dress. Therefore I wanted to trial the device out of curiosity but I had no intention of using this device permanently once I was more knowledgeable about its suspected design (evry mod).<o:p></o:p>

I have had to learn the hard way and although it has been fun my advise to anyone reviewing this post or considering a cheap tuning option is: save your time and money - they are not worth the potential damaging affects to your car. If you are on a budget and do result to ebay or a second hand purchase make sure it?s from a well established Tuning company such as Van Akken or Tunit. <o:p></o:p>

And if money is not a problem treat yourself to either a generic remap or full blown custom map from the likes of Superchips, Revo, Jabba etc.

Thanks for reading and I hope this post has been helpful - As another member on here said "its all a learning experience"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to let you know I have taken off the cheap tuning gadget !

I have Simon Coe from ccc tech reflashing the ECU today with the software from Upsolute ..

?305 quid and he travels to me ..

Let you know how it goes ..

Anyone else used Simon B4 ?

Cheers

Steve

Lazer Blue GTTDI 2.0 .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts