Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a Tornado red 5 dr GTI from them.

Two weeks from order to pick up on the dot - top service.

Yes it is an import, from scandinavia, but awesome spec, it came with:

1. Tyre pressure monitoring
  2. Winter pack (heated seats/headlight washers)
  3. Cruise
  4. Folding mirrors
  5. Centre armrest, auto lights, auto wipers, welcome home lights,auto dipping mirror
  6. Warning triangle

all for ?18,200 on the road taxed

Really pleased, no affiliation, just a very happy customer!

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes two year warranty, most of the ones they had when I was there were in black, mine was the only Tornado red - none in white?

(What a surprise, enough of a discount already without going for a greater white colour discount!!!!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
What sort of deposit did they ask for on order, could you specifiy options, are there part exchange prices OK ?

Looked at them a while a go and wasn't sure - now I found someone who has used I'm interested again.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Alltalk,

1. No you cannot specify any options at these supermarkets, they buy in what is available in Europe at the right price, the options are a lottery , you pay for what you see in the compound. With the GTI you will have to be keeping a eye on their websites and pay a deposit straight away to secure the car, they do turn around the new models which are sought after very quickly. I am surprised they have GTI's at all as they usually only appear on the supermarket shelves some months after official release.

2. If you go to one of the more personal import companies you can s elect your options but you will have to wait longer , months in some cases.

3. A third way is to DIY import, do your research on the internet & by phoning Euro dealers to find out their ex. tax price & when yer motor is ready, go and fetch it yerself. It may seem a bit long winded but this is the cheapest way to get what you want at the best price. When collecting the car some people make a holiday weekend away out of it. The tip I will give you is the more the VAT a country charges for new cars the less the ex vat price the car will cost. Therefore Finland will have some of the cheapest cars in Europe as they charge about 40% VAT. ( 3years ago. Not sure the rate now) You will then have to do the paperwork yourself, even the UK vat office have a special importers pack available to you.

Strange how the terminology "Import" has slightly slurred your new car if you bought one abroad. Who cares? They all come from the same factories, often have a higher spec, are valued during trade in the same manner as UK dealer supplied cars. And all said and done which VW motor sold by a UK dealer was made in this country.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bernie is spot on.

With motor provider no choice on spec but was available within two weeks - paid ?500 deposit on visa (protected by consumer credit act) balance via switch when picked up the car.

My previous car was a loaded (leather, cruise, sunroof, winter pack, five doors etc) MK IV GTI 150bhp diesel which I imported myself from Denmark, saved ?6,000 on a UK ?22,000 (with options) list car! But had the hassle of waiting five months and picking it up myself (had a long weekend in Copenhagen was fun, ferry trip to Harwich was not! plus the admin - which is dead easy ( I used to run a car import business).

If you want overseas dealer contact details go to the local country website i.e www.volkswagen.dk for denmark, pick the biggest dealers e.g Aarhus and Copenhagen and email them in english your requirements (they all speak english in Scandinavia) they will send you a quote via email, you then eacept via email, they send you a contract (in danish unfortunately) you sign, return and then the bad bit transfer a large % of the cars cost - in my case 40% - but you are sending it to a VW main dealer so pretty safe, then wait five months, they contact you, you send the balance by transfer and go out and pcik up the car, it comes with the CoC (certificate of conformity) make sure the manual is in english! and tempory transit plates complete with 3rd party insurance to your home in the UK, you drive it back fill in your pack from DVLA and you are in business.

Don't forget to get insurance on the VIN in case you have an accident on the way back

Easy really!

Motor provider was the easy route as I am really business at work at the moment, I reckon I could have saved maybe ?1,000 by going direct! (this is what I used to charge anyway).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm on my third DIY imported Golf

Always got a good deal from main dealers in Holland & Germany

Always sold them privately with no problems - usually because of the higher spec

Dealers offerd me less on trade in - but have put other personal imports on the forecourt for their usual mark up!

As has been mentioned you just have to be prepared to plan ahead and wait

You do loose the third year warranty but any problems (if you get them) are usually easily covered by the saving
Big Smile [:D]

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread but has anyone else used these?? ,they are
showing some nice specced gti's in stock at a good price on the face of
it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts