Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new camera [:D][y] but I still haven't got my smooth bumpers back yet [:|]

anyway, here's a few new mods I've done over the last couple of months [:)]

Good old Landrover Charcoal centre console, it's been in for about 5 months now and still not a mark on it. Better than wood? Yes
Posted Image

Instant turbo. I have probably run my car since I've had it without realising my MAF was goosed. I found out how to log readings on Vag-com which confirmed my thoughts, peaking at 79g/s. This nice new one made me think I'd had the car re-mapped and I have peaked at 135g/s (standard AUM 1.8t) - I also smoothed the bottom of the airbox for good measure [;)]
Posted Image

Shot showing the stubbys and de-badged front / welded bonnet. My mate did the bonnet one Friday afternoon a couple of months back. I had it painted a few weeks back and added a FK grille, painted satin black for a bit of contrast..
Posted Image

Posted Image

and here are a couple I took today after a bit of a cleaning session, just before it rained. Again
Posted Image

Posted Image

comments welcomed as always [:)]

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Looking great as ever Pat and especially liking the charcoal interior trim mate, very unique and suits the style and colour of your car/wheels a treat imo! [Y] [:D]

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
What's the score with the land rover bits inside??? where what how etc???!
Looks like Pat has used Land Rover charcoal paint on the interior trim pieces to get rid of the nasty wood, great idea and looks very effective imo [Y]

·
Registered
729 Posts
Great pics matey! like the mirrors and the bonnet nice touches!

Whats the deal with the trim and smoothed airbox? How is the box smoothed etc?

Oh and the wheels very nice [;)] cough cough!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the score with the land rover bits inside??? where what how etc???!
Looks like Pat has used Land Rover charcoal paint on the interior trim pieces to get rid of the nasty wood, great idea and looks very effective imo [Y]
[:D] yup that's right, no OEM Landrover parts as such - just the paint. My rear emblem is the same colour with VW diamond black colourmatched backing plate. Picked on the charcoal for a bit of contrast. Thanks for the kind comments too! [y]

Great pics matey! like the mirrors and the bonnet nice touches!

Whats the deal with the trim and smoothed airbox? How is the box smoothed etc?

Oh and the wheels very nice [;)] cough cough!
Hi Marc, I changed the air filter element a couple of weeks back and noticed the plastic baffle fins in the bottom of the airbox that people talk of 'smoothing' - so I set about removing them (4 of) by scoring at the base of the fins with a stanley knife and then using pliers to pull them off the airbox. This can improve airflow and on a turbo'd engine, the more air the better. Next I will probably add some ducting to the airbox and do away with the OE intake tube like a few people have done.

and my wheels?? Nice? thanks mate [;)][:)]

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The charcoal trim looks really good, and the stubby mirrors look a lot better than the standard ones.  Altogether it's looking very smart.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Going back to the interior! Looks fantastic, I thought about doing this myself but I was unsure on the durabilty of the paint, what with cracks and chips and everything else! Gotta be a more diy mod than shelling out loads a quids for a similare result!!

Do you have a basic how to or something for it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looking really well, where did you get your stubby mirrors and how much if you don't mind me asking.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I knew you'd like that pic Shiu [:p][y]

I got the mirrors from German eBay about 9 months ago, but I only recently got round to painting and fitting them (can never be bothered during the winter months). I'm not sure about the driver's side mirror as really it's meant for LHD vehicles and visibility is a bit compromised tbh. I'm considering an Anni / R32 driver's mirror with the aspherical glass as an alternative.

As for the bonnet notch, my friend (a welder who doesn't believe in using filler) cut a template piece, rolled the front edge underneath, tacked on and then welded into place before smoothing it all in with a grinder. It only took him an hour and he'd never done one before so I'm quite happy with his work. It's a bit rough underneath still but it's sealed to stop moisture and rust making an appearance [:)] He's itching to do my tailgate now though!

thank you everyone for your encouraging comments!

·
Registered
404 Posts
car looks sweet mate, i dont suppose you have any pics of the door handles painted charcoal, as im thinking of trying it on a spare set of wood i have?

are the wheels painted the same colour as the trim?

·
Registered
188 Posts
hi there, is your centre console painted? if so what paint did u use? and did u remove first then paint or did you paint while it was already on. its just im thinking about painting mine, and also the door handle trim and ashtray, but dont know what paint to use!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Here pat on a comp diff note what alpine headunit is that you've got
cause i'm after one myself there are so many models to choose from.
thinking of something like a 9853 , 9854 would love a 9812 if i had the
bucks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts