Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Diesel isn't a dirty word
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You WILL need the locking tools such as the Laser tools one which is available on Ebay for around ?15 + postage. The tensioner tool may be needed but you can manage without.

Locking Kit:

Posted Image

Tensioner tool:

Posted Image

Instead of the locking pins you can use a suitable size drill bit.

The Official VW guide from Elsawin:

Posted Image

If you want the full size version to print out for reference then click on the thumbnail below [y]

Posted Image

HTH

Neil

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
i did mine while engine was out piece of cake took 5 minutes a didnt need any extra tools just marked up timing and ripped belt off new one on job done[H] pity was had engine out because of broken engine mount[:(] all done now though its not quite as daunting as it looks defo not worth paying dealers to do......that is unless your useless with spanners

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks very much for an outstanding post.

Pse provide me with info to obtain an Elsawar workshop manual for a VW Golf 1.9l tdi 2004 mk5 - any advice to obtain a quality workshop manual for this vehicle would be appreciated.

Mal

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just done the belt and a service now my car wont start! used all the tools took a day to do both and the water pump and the water temp sensor! the old sensor was black the new one is green will that make a differance? Now the car is just turning over but doesnt feel like its trying to start! I have drained the battery once trying to start it and charged it over night but still no joy! does anyone know where i need to start to try and fix the problem? thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Well I would start by making sure you're timing is right. Slip off the top cover and turn the crank so the marker lines up on the bottom cover/pulley. Check the camshaft then lines up. Did you do the fuel filter? If you did did you fill it up with diesel or just put it on dry?

Oh and this would get a better response in the engine technical section.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did change the fuel filter and yes it was dry i turned it over for a while and pulled one of the pipes and it was still dry,so i tried some more ,the next time the pipe was full of fuel,have tried turning it over lots since with no joy! will check the timing! thanks

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Sounds like you've filled it up with air. You should never put the filter on without filling it up.

However, you've done it now. Take the pipe off the top of the filter thats held by a clip and fill the filter with diesel using a funnel. You also need to pull the diesel through by sucking on the return pipe that goes into the filter. Obviously I would suggest you do this using a pump rather than your mouth. This will fill the lines and tandem pump with fuel. The tandem pump is designed so the rotor inside always stays wet allowing automatic priming but if it is dry you will need to suck the fuel through as mentioned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the info on the timing belt, very detailed great stuff on that.

I drive a Mark 4 golf diesel tdi and I am wondering if you would have something like that for the replacement of clutch & flywheel. If you do I would very much appreciate it and definitely would like to send you something as a thanks in the new year, and by the way i wont send you the old clutch.

Thanks in advance

Any help would be great

Patrick

1 - 20 of 43 Posts