Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing side lights...

how on earth can you change a bulb when there is no room to do it?

i have tried searching through all the forum opst to get some help but it is no good!

does anyone know where there are any guides to do it? pictures etc etc

only 2 options as far as i can see:

1) take the battery out.

2) take the bumper and lights out (i dont wanna have to take the bumper off cos that is a right pain!)

should i just give up and pay a stupid amount to a garage for a bulb change?

Please help me save money!

· Super Moderator
50,141 Posts
Taking the bumper off is a lot less scary than most people think,I changed my sidelight bulbs a couple of weeks back by taking the bumper off,and the whole job was over in half an hour,which included washing the inside of the bumper.
A guide to this mammoth task can be found HERE.

Chris.

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Taking the bumper off is a lot less scary than most people think,I changed my sidelight bulbs a couple of weeks back by taking the bumper off,and the whole job was over in half an hour,which included washing the inside of the bumper.
A guide to this mammoth task can be found HERE.

Chris.
Looks fairly easy with that link!

can just see the clip being a problem.... where did you get the 4mm nut and bolt from B&Q?

also should the lights just sit back in the correct positions or will i need to re-aline them?

· Super Moderator
50,141 Posts
Looks fairly easy with that link!

can just see the clip being a problem.... where did you get the 4mm nut and bolt from B&Q?

also should the lights just sit back in the correct positions or will i need to re-aline them?
You can still get the bumper off if you just let the grill hang with the release lever still through it,and the 4mm nut and bolt was picked at random from my odd screw and nut box,and is normally kept company by a family of spiders,species unknown.

Oh and sidelight bulbs don't need to be aligned,just a 1/4 turn to lock them in place.

Chris.

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys,

Thanks for all the surgestions.... the bumper is coming off at the weekend!

i have one more question.... i have headlamp washers!

Can anyone tell me if they are totally connected to the bumper? or if i have to do somat with them?

Disconecting abit of tubeing wont be an issue... just nice to know what to expect!

Aany help would be nice...

Thanks in advance Chris

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all the replys....

i did it at the weekend no problems with taking the bumper off! [Y]

although i bought the wrong bulbs! my lights dont take the 501's. lol

took me an hour and a half with a visit to halfords in the middle... so an hour spent doing it i recon, i am impressed with that as it was my first go! [:D]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts