Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to change the dipped headlight bulb at the weekend, got the rear cover off no problem. Then discovered my hands are way too big to fit in the gap! Got my girlfriend, with her dinky hands, to do it instead.

Looking online, seems you have to take the bumper off to remove the headlight, to gain better access?

There is more pain to come as the side light on the passenger side has also died. :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its a real pain in the ar5e that one!

I recently swapped the standard bulbs for some brighter 100w types that are miles better (annoyingly though the sidelight bulbs I got were tinged with blue and it was apprently an MOT fail?!?!)

Anyway, yes the drivers side was awkward to get to and I ended up using a mirror so I could see in to where things needed to be. The wires in there were also very short and made life very awkward.

On the passenger side life was made much easier by removing the battery.

Overall I think my 2 year old daughter would struggle to get her hands in. It makes you wonder why VW design things so that simple DIY jobs like changing bulbs is so awkward?!

J:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just take the bumper off and the lights out takes about 30 mins that way and no swearing and scratch hands!
Ha ha it took me nearly 30 minutes doing both sides swearing and cursing! But i am a man and will not be beaten :) Think i will take the bumper of next time :p

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, think next time, i'll just take bumper off, and replace all bulbs in one go. Only replaced the bulb in the other side 2 months ago .....grrrrr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts