Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.. Well after parcel force let me down by not delivering my disks and pads to gsf car parts on saturday, (related thread here: http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/586098.aspx), I plan to change them myself now.

I think I will have access to a garage (friend of the gf's, her fiancee runs a garage not too far from me), so I'll be able to stick it on a lift and have all the right tools to hand and dan will help me if I get stuck too.

So, what do I specifically need ? I am changing the discs for new 312 mm items, (currently have the 312 mm setup) and putting in new pads too. Should I just follow my haynes manual ?

Are there any specific tools I need ? Anything I should do, anything I shouldn't ?

I think between us we should be able to get it done. Just want specific advice really.. TIA guys [:)]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan, you can always pop up and see us and we'll sort it out for ya !
Cheers Tom [Y] I'd like to do both.. perhaps do one at my mates garage then do the other up at yours.. hehe.. a good excuse to come and see the forums resident parts shop's garage ! [:)]

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
You'd be better off doing the others at a garage as you'll have to remove and swap calipers etc, obviously I don't really want to use your car as reference [;)]!!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'd be better off doing the others at a garage as you'll have to remove and swap calipers etc, obviously I don't really want to use your car as reference [;)]!!
Of course not Tom ! You'd never think of standing over my engine bay with a video camera taking snaps would ya ! [;)]

If ya need any pics taken, just give me a shout [Y]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bumpity McBump on this !!!!

1. If I am changing front discs and pads, do I need any special/specific tools ?

2. I am reusing the calipers, (they are not being changed), do I need to bleed the brakes or remove any hoses when changing discs and pads ?

3. Do I need a caliper piston windback tool or is that just for the rear ?

4. Once the caliper is off, do the pads just pop out or easily come out or not ?

Any help or guidance appreciated !

·
Registered
824 Posts
1. Just the correct spanners and such

2. I didn't when I did mine, they work great too

3. That's just for the rear, I used a BFO screwdriver to push it back

4. Mine fell out when the caliper was removed, so they can come out with little effort.

This was on a 288mm discs and pads so I assume it would be the same really.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

4. Mine fell out when the caliper was removed, so they can come out with little effort.

Cheers for that. What spanners do I need.. if you can remember ? I have a haynes manual so can always look in there. Plus, I am doing it at a proper garage, so they will have loads of tools I can use if not [:)]

·
Registered
4,749 Posts

Cheers for that. What spanners do I need.. if you can remember ? I have a haynes manual so can always look in there. Plus, I am doing it at a proper garage, so they will have loads of tools I can use if not [:)]
To take caliper off ya need an 18mm socket , its to tight to get a spanner in there

and ya may beed a large screw driver to move the piston back so ya can realise the caliper away fron the disc

oh and dont forget to unsrew the brake fluid resivor under the bonnet so the piston goes back easy

·
Registered
824 Posts
On the fronts I think there is a hex nut at the back, and a normal nut as well which turn in opposite directions, if that makes sense. I did mine in November last year so can't remember the sizes I'm afraid, but I used the Haynes and if I can do it, I think anyone could as my mechanical expertise is on par with that of a ferret [:D]

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
off the top of my head.

Wheel off.

Remove spring clip from the front of caliper - Large Screwdriver

Two removable caps on he rear of the caliper seated into a rubber cover, Take them out undo and remove the two allen bolts (7mm - I think) Once these are out work the caliper off the disk using pressure on the top and bottom of the caliper, Remove pads, Cable tie the caliper up out the way on the coil spring.

Two 18mm Bolts secure the Caliper carrier (18mm Socket)

One Torx Bolt holds the disk on, Remove this, Give it a tap to free it off.

use a wire brush to clean all the mating surfaces, So they are clean.

Fit new disk, Re-Fit the caliper Carrier (after you clean it up)

Take the caliper and G-Clamp, Insert the threaded end into the caliper and rest the other end on the rear of the caliper, Now wind the piston back in, Insert pad with the clip into the piston/caliper, Put the other pad in the carrier on the outside (remember to copper slip the rears) Slide the caliper back into position, Do up the Allen bolts and refit caps.

Refit the spring clip, Put on end into the hole and locate that side into the aproperiate place on the carrier, Apply a bit of force and put the other end into the hole (it wont go fully) Try and hold them like this and force the part that isnt lining up at the moment into the same place on the carrier.

Pump the pedal up, i would blead them, But strictly speaking it should need it.

Are you asleep yet?

Make sure everythnig is Copperslip'd and free moving to avoid squeeks and squeels.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jason, Vaudaz and Cyrix - thank you, thank you and thank you !

That guide Cyrix, is superb ! I'm sure between that, the haynes manual and the garage owner (he has Mk1 cabby that he has done extensive work on) we will be able to do it ourselves [:D]

Cheers chaps [Y]

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Personally I'd do the following too.

I spray paint the centre hubs of the disc, keeps the rust at bay. I use Matt Black Spray BBQ paint, and then use a paint stipper hot gun to cure the paint.

I would also get a new pair of disc mounting screws, if they have been on a while they may well be rusted in place and the head will strip getting them out.

Paul

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Personally I'd do the following too.

I spray paint the centre hubs of the disc, keeps the rust at bay. I use Matt Black Spray BBQ paint, and then use a paint stipper hot gun to cure the paint.

I would also get a new pair of disc mounting screws, if they have been on a while they may well be rusted in place and the head will strip getting them out.

Paul
Cheers for the advice paul. Not sure i'll get a chance to spray 'em before saturday though. Hmm.

Do you have a part number for the disc mounting screw per chance ??

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
For the sake of paying someone an hours labour, i'd get someone else to do it...www.autops.co.uk did mine recently and charged ?40+vat

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For the sake of paying someone an hours labour, i'd get someone else to do it...www.autops.co.uk did mine recently and charged ?40+vat
Indeed, but, I have access to a proper garage owned and run by a competent mechanic who is familair with the vag range (who will be there at the same time to help or anything), I can use his four post lift to have the car at a good height, I can use his tools at the time and plus i'm determined to get more knowledge of even simple stuff like this and wanna do more diy on my car instead of paying someone else to do it and also the satisfaction of doing it myself too [:D]

·
Registered
432 Posts
and also the satisfaction of doing it myself too [:D]
Can't beat that feeling. Swopped my 288's for 312's last bank holiday, and with the help of a mate who knows what he's doing, it was incredibly straight forward.....just as cyrix said above. Don't know what to do with the old 288's now

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Go for it Dan, as said already, it's very satisfying to learn how and actually do it yourself, especially if you have access to the right tools and equipment, and have someone supervising. It's not about saving that ?40 labour or whatever. I try to do stuff on my car when I can, and improvise tools and stuff but sometimes I just don't have the time, space or pair of helping hands so have to pay someone to do it.

As for the disc retaining screw, most decent discs come with them.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Go for it Dan, as said already, it's very satisfying to learn how and actually do it yourself, especially if you have access to the right tools and equipment, and have someone supervising. It's not about saving that ?40 labour or whatever. I try to do stuff on my car when I can, and improvise tools and stuff but sometimes I just don't have the time, space or pair of helping hands so have to pay someone to do it.

As for the disc retaining screw, most decent discs come with them.
Exactly, as i'll have access to a lift and all the righttools I thought i'll save myself some money and do it myself ! It bloody is about saving the labour ! [:p] but also about learning to do something that a lot of people do for themselves and having the satisfaction of doing it myself [:D]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Indeed, but, I have access to a proper garage owned and run by a competent mechanic who is familair with the vag range (who will be there at the same time to help or anything), I can use his four post lift to have the car at a good height, I can use his tools at the time and plus i'm determined to get more knowledge of even simple stuff like this and wanna do more diy on my car instead of paying someone else to do it and also the satisfaction of doing it myself too [:D]
Fair comment, if you've got the kit and facilities...

One tip I picked up was make sure you clean everything thoroughly to ensure the calipers/pads will work freely

1 - 20 of 47 Posts