Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello jus wondering if anyone has ever changed the water pump, just wondering if any tips or anythin to be aware of when doin it, jus after some info really, thanks anythin be appreciated,

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
hello jus wondering if anyone has ever changed the water pump, just wondering if any tips or anythin to be aware of when doin it, jus after some info really, thanks anythin be appreciated,
, hi mate although i havnt done this job, i could offer some moral support if you wanted it!!!, things are sorted out more easily when theres two of you?.

Zak

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah thanks people, parts comin this week so il attemp it anyway, takin the belt off isnt worrying its turnin the key after its been put back on lol longs everythin is marked up exact cant really go wrong, ive built a few engines and use be into clio 16valves, built that when belt snapped so pretty confident,its jus i know il come across a problem and if someone done could got some tips, il post my problems if i have any,il let ya know zak, cheers

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Best tip I have is an easy way to get the pump out.

Don't mess about with bars, levers, big screwdrivers, etc. There's not much clearance, and you'll end up slipping and breaking something, probably your knuckles.

Get a long bolt or a bit of threaded rod the right size (may be 5mm, can't remember), and wind this into the centre pump bolt hole. This then rests against the side of the block, and the pump gets pushed out easily as you keep winding the bolt in.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah wil do matey,got pump,tensioner,roller and new belt hope it cure my temperature problem then.but when i checked on high revs there was no water comin back in expansion bottle was assume pump gone. 

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
cheers mate, everythin helps il try this,the bottom pulley has to come off it is easy to lock it?
To be honest, I didn't bother when I did mine (TDI), just lined up the marks at the flywheel before removing, and again just before fitting the belt. If you're out on the bottom pulley, it's obvious when you look at the flywhel markings, as they should line up exactly.

If you want to you could wedge the flywheel with a bit of wood, though I'm not convinced it's worth it.

What is worth doing is replacing the front pulley & damper assembly the same way it was fitted previously - a spot of tippex will make that easy to do.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well job done, was water pump, the plastic propellor had come off so wasnt turning anythin,replaced with a metal one,shouldnt have to do that again,

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
went ok to be honest pretty easy job say took bout 3 hours, the only problem was part of engine mount that wouldnt come out as was too big. i undid all bolts so ended up workin around it, most nervous was cuttin the cam belt off lol but if changin id recommend a metal one as plastic pretty poor,the propellor wasnt even turnin the blades were all fine just wasn turning, if anyone has temperature problems especially at higher revs,get it changed, thanks for all advice,

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just took the 4 allen key bolts out and slid the pulley over the big nut,needed that off to get all the covers off aswell,nearly tried removing big bolt but never needed to anyway.it doesnt look like it slides over but it does, you thinkin of attempting it?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Sounds like classic water pump problem on these. Also get the shaft go rusty and expanded which snaps the plastic impellor up.

There's nothing too scary about a cam belt. Just double check it all while doing it and remember to wind the engine over two turns of the crankshaft just to make sure before you fire it up.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah i took the pump out and didnt even have propeller there was still inside the engine, lol it does make little nervy messin with timin cause i know how much damage 1 tooth out would make, i never turned it over though as was pretty confident it was bang on as marked it exact it about 10 places,hehe 

·
Registered
531 Posts
Draper tools do a locking tool (CLT5) which is not too expensive - can not remember exactly but think it was about ?12 + post and packing.    Just search for Draper and check the on-line catalogue.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just remembered something - when you replace the engine mounting it is important that you renew the mounting bolts as these are stretch bolts which are liable to fail with the result that the engine falls out!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts