Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was currently running an AMD 2200+ with a MSI KT4V motherboard. it says i can run a AMD2800+ or higher so i got a 3000+ chip. i put it in (with the onboard battery out) it works but it still says 2200+ on start up and in system too, any ideas why?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Try resetting bios, there should be a setting for 'reset to default' or something like that. If that doesnt work, reset CMOS by putting the jumper for it to the other settin for a minute, then putting back to its original setting. If non of that works, let us know!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you increased your FSB speed in the BIOS accordingly?
thanx for all the info, will try soon. re the fsb when it reset when i took battery out it was at 100 i then put it to 133, is that right?

·
Registered
895 Posts
I don't know - it depends if your AXP 3000+ chip runs at FSB of 333MHz or the more expensive 400MHz, in which case the FSB setting in the BIOS should be set to 166MHz and 200Mhz accordingly. Note that it is NOT at 133MHz.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Is your bios up to date:

BIOS TypeAMI? BIOS
File Sizes
514KB

Version
Update date
2003-2-12

Update Description
-Support AMD Barton XP3000+ (FSB333) CPU
-Add "CPU Halt Command Detection" item in the BIOS Setup

If your bios is not up to date is will not id your chip correctly.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know - it depends if your AXP 3000+ chip runs at FSB of 333MHz or the more expensive 400MHz, in which case the FSB setting in the BIOS should be set to 166MHz and 200Mhz accordingly. Note that it is NOT at 133MHz.
my 3000+ runs at fsb 333, so that means i set it to 166?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yes, set FSB to 166MHz (keeping the multiplier and voltage as default) and update (flash) your BIOS as suggested above.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Your chipset is designed to run at DDR, so the fsb is x2 of 166. My last mobo was like yours a MSI (kt7266 pro 2) displayed the fsb like this (133 running a 1600 Athlon).

My new Abit Nf7 displays it as 333 rather than 166

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i set her to 166 and now its increased to 2800+ but the clock speed is now right for the 3000 at 2.167ghz, the funny thing is i put it to 167 and the clock speed is now 2.177ghz! but still reads as a2800+. the manual states its good for 2800 or higher so i rec kon the bios needs updating to make it read 3000 because the speed reading is ok. cant find a bios update for mine becasue mine is an older version motherboard v1.0 and came out aug 2002.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If it says its running at 2800+ but its at 3000+ speeds, I wouldnt need
to worry about that as there isnt much difference between 2800 and 3000
technology wise except speed and it dosent change the way the OS works
either. One thing I got to ask is if you got a better
Processor Fan as a jump from 2200 to 3000 is alot and you better check
your temps if you can. Ah well, congrats on the update :)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it says its running at 2800+ but its at 3000+ speeds, I wouldnt need to worry about that as there isnt much difference between 2800 and 3000 technology wise except speed and it dosent change the way the OS works either. One thing I got to ask is if you got a better Processor Fan as a jump from 2200 to 3000 is alot and you better check your temps if you can. Ah well, congrats on the update :)
the processor came with a fan in the package, @ small thanx for the link.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If it says its running
at 2800+ but its at 3000+ speeds, I wouldnt need to worry about that as
there isnt much difference between 2800 and 3000 technology wise except
speed and it dosent change the way the OS works either. One thing I got
to ask is if you got a better Processor Fan as a jump from 2200 to 3000
is alot and you better check your temps if you can. Ah well, congrats
on the update :)
Ah thats good to know, just didnt want you having a burnt out new Processor

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it says its running at 2800+ but its at 3000+ speeds, I wouldnt need to worry about that as there isnt much difference between 2800 and 3000 technology wise except speed and it dosent change the way the OS works either. One thing I got to ask is if you got a better Processor Fan as a jump from 2200 to 3000 is alot and you better check your temps if you can. Ah well, congrats on the update :)
Ah thats good to know, just didnt want you having a burnt out new Processor
[:|]

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Wow - just seen this thread and cant believe it!!!

I have the MSI kt-4v motherboard and currently have the AMD athlon xp 2200+ cpu in it with 1Gb 333 (2700) ram installed. It works well but I have looked into upgrading the CPU. The one I am considering is the AMD athlon xp 3000 barton one which runs at 333!!!

As per this link:-

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=362&kind=1

My current motherboard BIOS is the 1.9 version, dated 29/07/2003. I have been holding off for fear of it not working but my curent BIOS should handle it - am I right?? Straightforward enough swap??

Has it all gone ok Micky32??

This forum is just a wealth of info for everything, let alone VW Golf!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mine is a slightly older version than yours, mine is v1.0 and mine is running like clockwork with the 3000+ barton.

when i first put it in the computer went a bit funny, it cut off and started making a siren noise from the internal speaker! i then took battery out and let it all reset and no probs since.

was reading reviews about the 3000+, they claim even though it has a lower speed, its supposed to be a match for the P4 3.06ghz chip, but whether thats true or not i cant say.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Looks like I might go for this one then. Have you noticed any difference? and if so, in what way, or what sort of programs?

Best deal i have found for it as retail (with new fan etc) is ?86 ish from overclockers delivered. What sort of deal did you get on yours?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i got mine from a friend thats in the trade, have to see him to pay him for it yet, but im getting it cheap approx 40 to 50 sterling. i havent really tested its performance yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts