Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen the pics, reviewed the specs, but can't decide!

Similar spec to my GTI comes out ?4000 more expensive, delivered in a similar time frame.

I like the looks, but am not really bothered about the performance increase or 4WD.

My quandary is residual value - if my GTI was to slide from ?23k to ?19/20k after a year, how might an R32 compare?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I would also stick with the GTI if you're not after more performance. They are a GREAT car.
You've been waiting AGES to say that I'm sure [;)]

Xbox, it's all there though, if you're not bothered about the power or 4WD why are you even considering the R for another 4k??

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
You've been waiting AGES to say that I'm sure [;)]
For sure!

Back to the 4K - the difference between the MKIV GTI and the R was just too big hence it would be worth shelling out the 4k for it.

But the MKV is a very special car in itself so if you're not after anymore power or 4WD then it will keep you very happy I'm sure.

I am addicted to the noise the exhaust and turbo makes.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Just another thought - if you consider the standard xenon lights on the R32 then the ?4k difference is reduced if you are considering ordering these as extras on a GTI. Are there any other items standard on the R32 that are often ordered as extras on the GTI?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Xbox, it's all there though, if you're not bothered about the power or 4WD why are you even considering the R for another 4k??
As I said, just wondering about residuals[6]

The R32 will be just that bit more special, and slightly better equipped.

So, if it holds its value that much better (my question), then its a no-brainer.

..........but then thats what I thought about the CSL[:$]

·
Registered
132 Posts
Stick with the GTI. The MkV R32 from all reports so far looks like it's not going to be the car that the MkIV was. It's more like a grand tourer, just look at that wood trim for a start.

A few dealers that know about the car say it's deliberately a softer car than the MkIV in order to attract Merc and BMW drivers, plus it's not limited production like the original.

Go for the GTI, residuals seems to be doing good so far but even if they do tumble then there's less of a fall than on the R32. To be honest residuals was the last thing on my mind when I ordered the GTI.

At the end of the day though it's only something you can decide, before all else go test drive the new R32 when it's available and then and only then decide.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Exactly! Feeling partly responsible for planting the .:R seed, I think its best to stick with the GTI.

Re residuals, take it to the place I took mine - got a great deal [6]

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are you sure it's ?4k? I know it depends on spec but I worked mine out at ?2.5k difference

How to decide

Do you - remember the 2nd World War? Own a tartan blanket? Think todays
music is too loud? Think you're not a bit deaf it's everyone else
mumbling?

Yes to any of those? R32

No to all of those? GTI

Dilemma solved. Thank me later ; )

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you sure it's ?4k? I know it depends on spec but I worked mine out at ?2.5k difference

How to decide

Do you - remember the 2nd World War? Own a tartan blanket? Think todays music is too loud? Think you're not a bit deaf it's everyone else mumbling?

Yes to any of those? R32

No to all of those? GTI

Enough already .

A GTI then - LMAO at the above[au]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts

How to decide

Do you - remember the 2nd World War? Own a tartan blanket? Think todays music is too loud? Think you're not a bit deaf it's everyone else mumbling?

Yes to any of those? R32

No to all of those? GTI

*QUALITY* mate, nice one! [Y]

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wood trim on the new R32? Where did you get that idea from - did you just make that up? If you got to the VW web site in Germany and confgure your R32 (or as I have - get the brochures for the car from Germany) then you'll note that there's plenty of aluminium, but no wood - in there!!!!!

GTI vs R32? It is a difficult choice and one that I may have to make myself, as externally I think the GTI looks better than the new R32. Will the R32 offer better performance? Well, mid range it should easily be quicker - every day driving? Well, there's a question. Fully kitted out the GTI is ?26k and the same level of kit on the R32 (plus recaros) is ?29k. So cost wise, 4WD and the V6 lump - oh, bigger brakes and their vented in the rear too... that's the extra ?3k. Decisions, decisions... can't really make my mind up until I've driven and seen the R32. The GTI is a great car - but it feels slow compared to my current car and without some tuning I know I'd be yearning for more grunt. I did actually cost a GTI, tuned by AmD to 260bhp - guess what? To get the same spec as the R32 and then remap, exhaust, DV, upgrade the brakes... it came out at the same price as a fully kitted R32! Despite all this - I bet I'll end up with the new S3 which arrives in March 06 (2 litre twin charger engine with 272bhp). LOL!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Think I'd rather get the job done properley thanks - hence AmD (or MTM).  Both of whom I've had tune cars I've owned and can not recommend them enough.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Does the R32 have better brakes than the GTI, I can image the rear brakes being slightly better, but I suggest that would be unnecessary on a front wheel drive car? DV - Well so far I have not heard of a single case of the DV failing on a GTI, so why replace it?. Exhaust, not needed to get 260bhp+. I was simply expressing that you don't need 3K of mods to beat the power output of the R32.

As for AmD, they have not exactly got a good reputation with most people on this forum. I personally found them arrogant and wanting to snatch the money from my wallet without finding what I needed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes, the Mk V R32 does have larger brakes than the GTI. Unnecessary to uprate them if you up the power by 50bhp+? I'd ratrher be safe than sorry - having had a couple of highly tuned vehicles I can assure you that if you add more power it makes sense to increase the stopping pwer accrodinlgy. I'm sure the standard GTI brakes are very good - so that's an option that some might not bother with I suppose...

As for you running down AmD... I find that hard to believe... I suggest you go on to the UK TT Forum and see how popular and respected AmD are - easily the best tuner for VW / Audi I've come accross. No complaints whatsoever from me or any of the people I personally know who've used them over the years. DV - well I have Viper DV on my TT and it does make a difference - just becuase the OE one is OK doesn't mean there's scope to upgrade it! It's a cheap enough mod afterall. As far as getting 260bhp out of the new GTI with just a remap and no upgrade of the exhaust system - OK - where/who/how? We'd all love to know... and for less than ?700 - I'd definately like to know!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts