Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am just wondering if you can change the colour the clocks light up, from blue? if so, is it simple to do?

thanks

·
Registered
515 Posts
free +1, I wanna know this as well. I'm sure in a minute someone will tell us both to use the search function at the top of the page...

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Some of the red is the colour in the foils, so you could possibly get different foils. And i believe some of the red is from smleds, so you would need to change them.

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Chris,

Are they white surface mount l.e.d.'s or actually coloured ones?
Both,they're coloured surface mount LEDs.Not very difficult to change as long as you make a note of their polarity beore cutting them off with a pair of small wire cutters.Then unsolder the remains one side at a time,clean the excess solder off and solder the new one in place as quickly as possible.

Chris.

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Do you need to change the resistor as well - I thought say a red SMD or a blue SMD would run with a different resistance as well??
They do run off SLIGHTLY different voltages Graeme,red normally quite low at under 3 volts and blue up to 4 volts in some cases.It might be possible to choose some at the lower end their range (some are only just over 3 volts) so you probably wouldn't see too much of a difference.They aren't old fashioned resistor driven though,there's a dedicated chip that controls all the warning lights and illumination so not very easy to change the voltage.

Chris.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I did this on a Polo 6n (MK3)..It was fun looking back at it now..But you need a steady hand and patience..I used THIS website which had a tutorial for the Polo and in regards of the LED's that are needed I got them from HERE

You need SMD LED's, I think the part no was PLCC-2 3528 & PLCC-2 90 degree SIDELED..

Overall it wasn't that bad just make sure you take loads of pics as each LED has to go on a certain way in regards of the notches there are on it..its a pretty cheap mod, I paid about £7-8 but it completely changed the look of the Polo..

Neal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts