Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Front Passenger door has problems with the central locking. When you hit the button to lock all doors the bit goes down then comes back up again. Same with the remote - you hit it twice to open all doors and the passenger door needs another click on the remote to come up. Anyone else had this?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Fault on that door in the central locking system. Would need to get it looked out. The pin popping back up again is telling you that the fault is there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My passenger door has developed this fault also. It seems to cure iself every so often. I don't know whether its a sensor thing or what. When you say there is a fault there, is it fixable by the average novice ?

Am loathed to take it to the stealers, would be grateful to hear from anyone else who has managed to fix this one themselves..

regards

Paul

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quite a common problem this. It's a small micro switch located in the door lock that is the problem. Some on here have had results simply cleaning the switch with electrical solvent. I had to buy a new complete lock ?60 to fix my N/S/F door. Actually changing the lock is not that big a job if your at all handy with a socket set etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply...Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that i've de-locked the door now would it ? When you say in the door lock do you mean its visible if I remove the de-lock blanking plate ?

Thanks

paul

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nothing to do with delocking. Don't think you can see the microswitch without removing the lock. You might be able to get at it if you open the door and take a look at the lock as in from the edge of the door.

·
Registered
24 Posts
OK. Now this is weird. Managed to disassemble the door to get to the lock and microswitch. Cleaned it with solvent. Put it back together again. Worked a treat. Only problem is now when I lock all doors from inside the NS/R door locks and then unlocks. Anyone else had this ? Is this a job for VAG-COM ?

thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
Dam, wish id read this first!, one of my locks was popping back up so i sprayed some wd40 into the lock catches thinking they were sticking, now its really screwed!

Grrrrrrr, my golf is starting to hack me right off.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Same problem here.

What I do is, I now "double click" it to lock all the doors. If I hit the lock button once, the left doors will unlock itself again - same problem as you. If I hit the lock button, release it, hit it again immediately and hold the button down for two seconds, it prevents the left doors from unlocking again. So that's my way around the problem in the meanwhile. Not sure if it's bad for the locks, but it seems to do the job.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ok ive fixed mine!.

Listen guys, you dont need to take your door or locks apart to clean the contact points, ill post up a picture ref giude of how i fixed mine if it stops raining tonight.[:D]

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm hoping the rain stops soon.[li]

I have the same problem with my pasenger door, and have done the wd-40 thing.Its difinatley somthing to do with the micro-wsitch.

It means the interior light does'nt work either.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sorry m8, rains stopped now !, ill go and take the pics this morning, ill post it up before 10am cos iam going to Stanstead airport after that.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ok here goes, i hope this makes sense and helps.

Step one open door :)

Step two:

Using ya key fob or something, push the locking mech latch forward, all they way, like it would close when you are double locking from the key fob, once it clicks all the way forward you know its far enough.

Step three:

Look down the gap, inside there is a 3mm copper contact plate on the back of the lock latch, kinda hard to explain but you will see it if its not covered in dirt etc, take a cloth and clean all the inside, clean the contact points and everything, removing all the dirt and greece etc.

Step four:

Release double locking by pulling the inside door lever.

Repeat on all doors.

Step

·
Registered
380 Posts
This works!

Well, it sorted out my passenger rear door, but my passenger front still has the problem. I reckon it needs some grease remover, so I'll give that a try. Or I might try again in the morning, as it was pitch black outside and couldn't really see what I was cleaning.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Step three:

Look down the gap, inside there is a 3mm copper contact plate on the back of the lock latch, kinda hard to explain but you will see it if its not covered in dirt etc, take a cloth and clean all the inside, clean the contact points and everything, removing all the dirt and greece etc.
Had a go on my lunch break could not see a thing down the gap. Is the 3mm copper plate on the left or right as you look down the gap?
How far down is the copper plate? Would a cotton bud be useful in cleaning the copper plate? Is it ok to spray wd-40 to help shift the muck?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I used some wet cotton buds and just stuck it in the hole.

The WD40 is worth a try, I'm gonna use some later on to try and fix my passenger door.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts