Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This problem seems a bit weird.

On my 1.6se when i lock the doors from the drivers control panel the passenger door locks then unlocks its self, this does not happen with any other door.

I (think) know what you are thinking, that there is a problem with the sensor in the passenger door lock. The problem with that is when you lock the car with the fob it works fine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They do, also the led on the door flashes aswell. There is only a problem with locking the passenger door when controling the locking from the driver door panel.

If you use the key or the fob it is ok.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i had the same prob, but my indicators never flashed everytime i pressed to lock with the keyfob, usually had to press 3 times. When locking from inside, passenger side (front and rear) popped back up. Got 2 second hand locks out of a 2003 car from a salvage yard for £25 each, fitted and all is perfect now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am still having the problem with the car, are all central locking units the same on the MK4s?

Would VAGcom tell you if there is a problem with the central locking system?

Could there be a actual problem with the CL computer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Liquorice when you changed the locks did you have to get new keys or will your original set work because my door and indicators are doing exactly the same has yours was. How hard was it to fit new locks yourself?

Regards.

Carl.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The barrel for the key is seporate from the key lock mechs, you may be able to sort out the problem with switch cleaner. There is a micro switch below the lock section that get a decent coating of lub when your dealer kindly lubs the door locks.

It will show in VAG-COM as an implausable signal from the door lock module. The usual symptom is also that the door pin on the door with a problem will spring back up when you use the internal lock all button on the drivers door.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My car does the same and I thought it was a safety feature to stop kids locking themselves in, complete with the key still in the car. Even if it isn't a safety feature there's no way I'm changing mine just in case.

When you've pushed the lock button on the driver's panel and the passenger's lock has sprung back up you can still depress the lock on the passenger's side manually.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In addition to the passenger button popping back up - there is another symptom of this problem on my car. After unlocking the car with the key fob and opening the passenger door only - the button will pop back down after 30 seconds. This should not happen!

This is the reverse of what should happen ie. the doors should lock automatically if you do NOT open a door within 30 seconds of unlocking the car. This prevents you accidentally leaving the car unlocked if you press the key fob. So, in my case you can get locked in the car if only the passenger gets in!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm having similar prob's too:

My drivers door worked only 1/2 the time (had to lock/unlock via the passenger door), now it doesn't work at all. When i lock via the passenger door, sometimes the drivers door button pops back up and the LED only comes on after a couple of attempts. I don't have keyfob activation.

Is the microswitch an easy DIY replacement guys ?

I need the drivers one, anybody think i need the passenger one too? are they the same part? mine's LHD BTW.

TIA Mark

·
Registered
100 Posts
I too am having similar problems. The drivers-side door lock module has certainly gone as the puddle light, headlight warning etc.. doesn't work. On top of this the passenger door unlocks itself as other are seeing.

I've bought a replacement door lock module for the driver door (about ?90 for the stealers) but haven't got round to fitting it yet. You need to strip the door down completely from what I've seen but it doesn't look too involved.

There is a guide on vxvortex and the link has been posted several times recently..

Clicky

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
From factory (ie if you have not changed the settings with VAG COM) your locks do the following:

[*]Unlock with remote - one press: drivers door unlocks. If you don't open drivers door in 30 seconds, it will lock again

[*]Unlock with remote - two presses: whole car unlocks. If you don't open drivers door in 30 seconds, it will lock again

[*]Press interior lock button: all doors lock. If any locks pop up again, you have a fault

VAG COM will detect any problems but if your locks act like they have a mind of their own or do anything other than the above, you have a faulty central locking module. I THINK they are about ?68 each and its a common fault on MKIVs. I had a dodgy one on my old Bora when I traded it in. There is a how to guide on VW Vortex to fix them yourself but its a lot of work and not worth the hassle IMO

·
Registered
42 Posts
By the looks of the (very useful) link you posted, it's not much more work to repair it, if you already have it removed for replacement?

Are the Left and Right hand door modules the same? I'm thinking of getting a spare unit if they are that prone to failure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just finished doing mine this morning, it took 5 hrs. The same prob as the links suggest, dry solder joints.

I followed the write-ups listed but had a few difficulties;

I needed a T8 torx driver, the write up states T10, my unit looked slightly different tho.

Separating the lock mechanism from the motor/electronics unit was a lot more difficult and complex than the write up suggests. They both tend to breeze over this stage, but mine was a right royal PITA to get separated, breakages could have ocoured!

I recommend using a de-solder pump to get the old solder off the joint, and then new solder. Just reheating old solder will not last as long IMO, any electronics/service engineer will confirm this.

I was going to do the passenger side as preventative maintence for good measure, but will wait until it fails now!

I'm happy it's done and working, the write-ups were a godsend!

Good Luck all

Mark

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.