Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my golf the key fob did not lock/unlock the car and I was told that this was due to the battery being duff. It didnt bother me until the drivers door lock broke recently (the door still locks and unlocks on the central locking if the key is turned in the passanger door).

I bought a delock kit for both the front doors and replaced the battery in the key fob thinking that this would solve the key fob issue - WRONG [:(]

I have since been told by a VW guy that the key fob may need recoding to the car and that this will cost a fair bit, although there is no gaurentee of it working and the key fob may need to be replaced... [brick]

Does anyone know if there is a way of recoding the key fob to the car without going to VW, or if there is another problem it might be? [:cool:]

Thanks in advance guys...

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Recoding the fob is a simple procedure if you have another working fob. If not then you need someone with VCDS to code it for you, and again it's a simple enough procedure.

Edit: Free download of the 2 key coding method here.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its just the same shape as a normal key but the vw badge is a button in blue and white. push to lock or unlock. I understand the principal of the coding instructions but the drivers door lock is the one that the barrel is broken on.

If I swap the passangers lock barrel to the drivers door and delock the passenger side then I should be able to code the key right? Or are lock barrels left / right handed? [:cool:]

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Have you tried the coding procedure on the passenger side door lock instead of the drivers? Not sure if it works or not though.

The part numbers for the different side door locks are different, so I doubt they'd swap over.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I tried it on the passengers side but no luck there... I'm gonna replace the battery again and see if it makes any difference as maybe the new battery doesn't work (that would be just my luck...)

If that doesnt work I'll try running the wires from the drivers door over to the passenger lock module so that it'll code keys from the passenger lock instead of the drivers one... Or try swapping the locks or something and if I really get no luck I'll just go to VW and pay them the £60 to code it...

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Yup, not looking like anyone is up there with VCDS. But there's someone near Aberdeen.

Or have you considered buying VCDS yourself? £250 plus a laptop. £60 straightaway to VW means that in effect its only gonna cost you £190. Then every time you use it you save money again. It'll pay for itself in no time.

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
It may not have been coded in the first place,hence the re-syncing procedure would never work anyway.Had a mk.4 in at work recently that a woman had just bought for me to investigate why the remote locking didn't work,in particular why the butons didn't feel "quite right".I opened it up to find no board and the buttons had been glued in place,despite the "honest" seller assuring it did have remote locking and had only just stopped working the day before.On further investigation the car didn't even have a CCM that supported remote locking[:mad:].

The fob could be faulty,Sealey do a tool to check if it's transmitting or not which in the absence of you can use a scanner to check if it's transmitting or not.Tune to 433 MHz (or whatever it says inside the remote),press the button and listen for a noise that sounds like eeerrrmmm...... a fax if you pick the phone up instead.

If the fob is faulty buying VAG-COM could be a waste of money unless you intend to but it anyway,the trial/shareware versions won't do any programming so you will need the full and authorised Ross Tech lead.

All things considered it could work out cheaper to buy and fit one of the Right Click or similar remote locking kits......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-LUPO-POLO-GOLF-KEYLESS-ENTRY-REMOTE-CENTRAL-LOCKING-/370448207989?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item56406f1075

Chris.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As you said; when inspecting the key fob there is no board at all, just a copper plate connecting the battery to the l.e.d. ... Something I glossed over when refitting the bettaery in the fob. So there is no central locking on the key fob... [doh]

I'm only fixing it to sell the car and so I don't want to spend alot on it really, but I'd like to swap the lock barrel from the passengers to the drivers side if its possible so that the key can be used in the drivers door and i can delock the passengers door hence leaving entry from the drivers side only, instead of the passenger side only as it is (annoyingly) at the moment...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really need to start reading the links before presuming what price they're going to be. Thanks for the suggestion Chris; ordered a kit seeming as it was so cheap and that should sort the locking issues for sale.

[:D] Thanking you muchly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts