Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Ok, I have just installed my phatnoise, with hardly any problems and then it comes to fitting the changer bracket......... and I have no idea, the instructions make no sense!

I have the proper golf bracket and it looks like you need to put 5 bits that the screws going into, in the body of the car! The problem is these bit are not secure, i.e they will just pull out! Looking at the instructions it looks like you need a rivet gun...... but I have no idea what to do?

Can some post details on how to install the bracket! I'm just waiting for this to finish the install!

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
mine's installed in the little cubbyhole in the boot and I think it's fixed to the plastic part the the parcel shelf sits on...........sorry about the poor description.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok this is the problem:

Here is the instructions:

In the middle pic above here, it shows what looks like a rivet gun the these 5 bits that go into the boby:

5 holes above!

Now shown above these bits fit in the holes, but when in the hole it is not secure, they can be just pulled out!

So the question is how do you get theses gold bit to stay securely in the holes?

Cheers

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do the bits that go in the holes expand when you screw a screw into them?
Nope [:(]

I think it's that tool that holds the key?

Someone must have fitted this bracket?

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
I need to know the answer as well, it has been bugging me for some time!, i,ll go to the dealers on monday to see what they say, unless someone posts an answer, i,d imagine a large rivet has to be inserted from one side of the gold thing and then when you operate the rivet gun, it squashes the gold thing on to the body,sandwiching it against the hole?, maybe.

Zak

·
Registered
894 Posts
This has been covered before was sometime ago though, what you need is something called a rivnut try a google search.

In the end I managed to secure mine with a nut and bolt through the bottom right hand securing point.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
just had mine out now and that gold nut thing is sandwiched the body, had a mirror in there today looks like it is either another nut on the other side or it is crimped over not to sure as mine came already fitted and with the cable aswell lucky me

·
No more Mods....Yeah right !
1,440 Posts
Yeah - that sounds like you have 5 rivnuts which can be secured with the rivnut tool. -- I've got a couple of these as they are really good at attaching 'captive nuts' to bodywork.

It looks like a rivet gun. However it has different sized mandrels (threaded rods) that correspond to the size of the nut you want to attach. The mandrel screws into the rivnut.You then place the rivnut in the hole (in the panel work) and as you close the handle this pulls up on the inside the rivnut and collapses it around the hole. So the rivnut is clamped around the hole and you have yourself a secure captive nut.

You can sometimes fix these without the rivnut tool. But you have to stop the rivnut from turning as you screw in the bolt ( as on the S3 lower brace fixing).

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just had mine out now and that gold nut thing is sandwiched the body, had a mirror in there today looks like it is either another nut on the other side or it is crimped over not to sure as mine came already fitted and with the cable aswell lucky me
Cheers people!

Looks like a trip down to the dealers is needed, as I don't have this tool and unsure on how to use it!

I would think a dealer would charge much to do, as it's a couple minutes job? Or would they charge me a min hour labour?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well just been to the dealers and spoke to one of the tec's!

This is correct:

Do the bits that go in the holes expand when you screw a screw into them?
You just have to keep on tightening the bolt and by doing this it will pull the metal thus expanding!

Cheers Andrew [:$]

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I've got a cd changer but it was already installed when I bought the car so I just guessed by looking at the photos you put up and remembering when I installed my lower S3 strut brace that it had what looked like the same type of fittings.  Glad you got it sorted.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got a cd changer but it was already installed when I bought the car so I just guessed by looking at the photos you put up and remembering when I installed my lower S3 strut brace that it had what looked like the same type of fittings. Glad you got it sorted.
A bit pee'd off that I could have completed the install at the weekend!

Nevermind, at least the dealer never charged to tell me the info!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Phew!! Nice one!! I was getting worried there!!! I should get mine done this week hopefully!
It is very easy to do! Give yourself 2-3hours max!

Going to finish mine off tonight! Will leave cutting the trim for the cartridge to stick out of at the weekend!

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
So let me get this straight, you put the rivnut in the hole in the body, and then you tighten up the bolt until the rivnut collapses around the body panel hole, thus keeping it there permanently, then you remove the bolt and attach the cd changer bracket, using the same bolt?

Zak

·
No more Mods....Yeah right !
1,440 Posts
Are those rivnuts hexagonal ? If they are, then when you put them in the hexagonal hole they will not turn round when the screw is inserted. Which means (as mentioned) they will just crimp themselves around the hole when you turn the screw in. ---- then take the screw out and the nut is fixed in place. -- then attach the bracket with the same screw/s.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So let me get this straight, you put the rivnut in the hole in the body, and then you tighten up the bolt until the rivnut collapses around the body panel hole, thus keeping it there permanently, then you remove the bolt and attach the cd changer bracket, using the same bolt?

Zak
Ok, this is how I installed the bracket!

You put all these rivetnuts in the holes, then line up the changer bracket and then put in the bolts! After a few turns the bracket is in securely in place!

I first put in the rivetnut and then the bolt, but the bolt got stuck in the rivetnut! So is best to place the bracket and do it all at once!

My phatnoise is now installed, but now have to work out how to the work the bloody thing! Also cut the trim and collect my single cd player........... [:p]

Anyone who's got questions in the install just ask!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts