Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a test drive of one yesterday.

By far the best car I have ever driven - stunning in every aspect and makes my Boxster feel slow and old.

I am pretty sure that driven well, nothing could beat it on a bumpy B road - it never feels troubled whatever you throw at it.

The dealer that we went to has an 06 plate 3.4S in seal grey, with sat nav, 19" wheels etc - ?48k [:O]

Please help me justify ?48k, please [:'(]

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Sorry mate i just dont really like the styling on the Cayman. Saying that im sure if i drove one i ll soon be eating my words. [:D]

Working in Central London i see a hell of alot of Carreras so i m used to them now but i do notice the Cayman mate.

How do they sound compared to the Carrera 4S, one went roaring past me the other day, now that is a beautiful sound.

[:D]

·
Registered
582 Posts
Funnily enough I have just been on the Porsche uk website speccing a Cayman S (One can dream!) and then had a look on the autotrader website. There are some Cayman S's on starting at 41k for a 55 plate in silver with 19's.

You know you want it [6] and it must have been at least 4 months since you last changed car [:p] The Cayman has a waiting list so you could probably buy it and sell again at the end of summer without losing a great deal of cash.....

oh, and RUF do a supercharger conversion for them [:)]

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We've had the Boxster for over a year now [:O] and Porsche Nottingham (damn them) offered us a few test drives this weekend.

We actually went to try a Boxster 987 and that was lovely, but then made the mistake of accepting their offer of trying a Cayman S.

We could afford it (wife has bonuses coming her way) but just trying to contemplate spending ?50k on a car is wierd [:^)]

You have to remind yourself that due to the great residuals, the actual ownership cost isn't that huge!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do they sound compared to the Carrera 4S, one went roaring past me the other day, now that is a beautiful sound.

[:D]
The Boxster has a nice deep growl, the Cayman is a more aggresive sound, turning to a wailing scream at high revs - not quite 911 noise, but very very addictive!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I quite like them, good looking cars....

...oh, by the way I ordered one six weeks ago for april delivery!
You lucky bugger! Congrats Gary[H].

Did you go for the 2.7 or the 3.4? What options and what colour?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I am obviously in a minority here but I dislike them, not keen on the styling at all. Strange as I think the boxster is a lovely looking car, looks pretty mucgh perfect from every angle. There's just smoething not right with the cayman.

A guy at works got a cayman S and it just doesn't float my boat.

Good luck if you decide to get one

J.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Raced one not too long ago, not much in it from what i found.

The driver was a bit miffed, asked what the hell i had under the hood as he thought it was a normal golf

Hafizur

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
They are fantastic, but for that money you can get a real porsche.

Every time I see one, I wonder why they didn't just buy a 911. They look a bit small and gay for my liking. If they were 15K less than the 911, (boxster money) there would be a place for them.

You can find a 997 S for ?48k with low miles and a decent spec. Caymans are very rare (no one buying them new), so residuals are being falsely inflated by the dealers as there's so few of them. Short term they make financial sense, but long term I'm not so sure. 911 residuals are always bullet proof.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I hope everything works out mate and you can find a way to get the cayman if you really like it.

Just like MarriedBlonde it just does nt do it for me. It ll be a boring world if we all liked the same cars anyway wont it?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
They are fantastic, but for that money you can get a real porsche.

You can find a 997 S for ?48k with low miles and a decent spec. Caymans are very rare (no one buying them new), so residuals are being falsely inflated by the dealers as there's so few of them. Short term they make financial sense, but long term I'm not so sure. 911 residuals are always bullet proof.
I agree completely.... i would also think that you pay more MPG for less performance.... if my cars doing 13mpg i wanna be doing 0-60 in the 4's !

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cayman S 0-60 is 5.2 secs and MPG is mid 20's (realistically 21 or so I reckon) which isnt bad.

I know what you mean about the Cayman vs 911, but although the 911 is an awesome machine, the Cayman is a simpler car to drive very very fast, whereas the 911 isn't.

Also, the Cayman S does similar Nurburgring times to the 911 (mid engined 295bhp vs rear engined 325bhp).

But if you were talking 997 GT3's.......................yum [H]

·
Registered
582 Posts
Cayman S 0-60 is 5.2 secs and MPG is mid 20's (realistically 21 or so I reckon) which isnt bad.

I know what you mean about the Cayman vs 911, but although the 911 is an awesome machine, the Cayman is a simpler car to drive very very fast, whereas the 911 isn't.

Also, the Cayman S does similar Nurburgring times to the 911 (mid engined 295bhp vs rear engined 325bhp).

But if you were talking 997 GT3's.......................yum [H]
cayman s is actually 4secs a lap quicker than a 997 and 7 quicker than a boxster s (All in the hands of Walter Rohl)

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
It may be quicker, but everyone will still think you are driving your wifes car.[:D]

How many used ones can you find? Not many. What does this tell you? No one is buying them, as they're far too close to 911 money.

They are awesome, but I think you'd always feel short changed everytime you parked near a 911. I know I would.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts