Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a bit of a heads up really, Castrol seem to have gone through a bit of a rebranding exercise and all of their premium range is now called "Edge", with different specs for different applications.

Longlife SLX II has therefore been discontinued, which conformed to 506.01, and was 0W-30, as required for my car. The replacement oil had "replaces Longlife SLX II" across the top but was 5W-30 and didn't conform to 506.01!!

So please beware what your buying for topping up; and the price seems to have gone up too. ?13.99 for a litre, or ?43.99 for four, which is a swizz as most cars hold 4.5 litres!! Castrol website still features SLX oils but the new Edge bottles says it replaces that brand.

Quantum over the VW parts counter at full retail was cheaper...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Ahh, i'm glad this subject on oil has come up as i was gonna ask anyway! I'm off to the stealers tomorrow to pick up a couple of bits and thought whilst i'm there i'd pick some new stuff up as after checking at the weekend it seems it could do with a top up!

What should i be best topping up with, am i right in thinking it's fully synthetic for a 1.8T? [:D]

Is there a particular type to go for and how much is it likely to set me back? [:|]

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you on variable or time/distance servicing?

Not sure about variable for the pertol but if your on time/distance a bottle of Quantum Synta Gold is what you want!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
That's a very good question Gary, until now i always thought it was set to variable... BUT, i didn't know there was a time/distance setting... Or is that just a different name for the fixed service? If so, then i'm 99% sure it's variable! [:|]

·
Registered
470 Posts
Millers make a longlife oil which is 0w30 and meets the required VW spec. Don't know how much it is but it's shown on their website.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ALL the oils approved for Long Life servicing in PD engines:

Addinol Mega light MV039 SAE OW-30
Agip 7007 SAE 0W-30
Aral SuperTronic LongLife II SAE 0W-30
BP Visco 7000 LongLife II SAE 0W-30
Castrol Longlife 2 Top Up SAE OW-30
Castrol SLX LongLife II SAE 0W-30
Elf Evolution CRV SAE OW-30
Esso Universal LD SAE 0W-30
Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL Longlife Plus SAE 0W-30
Q8 Formula Excel EDX SAE OW-30
Mobil SHC Formula LD SAE 0W-30
Motul Specific 50601 50600 50300 SAE OW-30
Shell Helix Ultra X SAE 0W-30
Texaco Havoline Synthetic 50601 SAE OW-30
Vaps Vapsoil 50601 SAE 0W-30
Veedol Syntron LongLife II SAE 0W-30

If it isn't one of these and doesn't have the magic 506.00/506.01 numbers (the .01 is apparently specific to PD engines), I'd query it.

506.00 and 506.01 are longlife codes, and on an Audi S3 503.01 is longlife too.

Fixed intervals 500.00 502.00 501.01

To see what you car requires look in the engine data part of the owners manual; it will list specific requirements there.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Are you sure your car needs SLX 0W 30? Is the VW manual a bit cryptic like my BMW one, which says 'BMW Longlife Only'?

Some dealers told me I needed SLX, and some did not, so I
checked with BMW customer services; turns out the M cars should have
it, but a range of oils, including Magnatec 5W 30 and RS 5W 30, were
all fine on the 3.0. As ?70 for 6.5 litres of oil seemed a bit rich to me, I went
with Magnatec 5w 30 (?45) which is still a decent oil.

EDIT: Ahh, you've added a list [:)]

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you sure your car needs SLX 0W 30?
Yeah, thats the spec of Longlife oil for mine, on variable servicing. It needs to conform to 506.01 and these 0W-30s conform to that. Even the Castrol replacement to there own Longlife oil does not conform to 506.01. Its all rather confusing!!!

I think Longlife is a good idea thats not quite organised/perfected!

·
Registered
387 Posts
If it isn't one of these and doesn't have the magic 506.00/506.01 numbers (the .01 is apparently specific to PD engines), I'd query it.

To see what you car requires look in the engine data part of the owners manual; it will list specific requirements there.
Don't forget 505.01 Gary for PD engines on fixed service interval

Doh! just read your post again properly and you do state 'longlife service intervals at the top!'

Sarge

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Don't forget 505.01 Gary for PD engines on fixed service interval

Doh! just read your post again properly and you do state 'longlife service intervals at the top!'

Sarge
There are loads of codes mate, noticed when searching for mine today that 507.00 had appeared now!!!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Cheers for that Gary, i will have a look in the morning! [Y]

·
Registered
189 Posts
Gary, have you got a similar list of oils that conform to 505.01 i.e on fixed service intervals? I can't find any anywhere other than VWs Quantum stuff.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Ahh, i'm glad this subject on oil has come up as i was gonna ask anyway! I'm off to the stealers tomorrow to pick up a couple of bits and thought whilst i'm there i'd pick some new stuff up as after checking at the weekend it seems it could do with a top up!

What should i be best topping up with, am i right in thinking it's fully synthetic for a 1.8T? [:D]

Is there a particular type to go for and how much is it likely to set me back? [:|]
I use synta silver in my agu 1.8T, changed every six months.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gary, have you got a similar list of oils that conform to 505.01 i.e on fixed service intervals? I can't find any anywhere other than VWs Quantum stuff.
Just done a google search for 505.01 engine oiland a few manufacturers came up. Or next time your at a motor factors lookfor the code on the back of all the oils on display. I'm sure Millers, Motul, Castrol, BP, and Shell all do 505.01 oils

·
Registered
682 Posts
Gary,i went to dealer last week for a 1 litre top up of Castrol SLX II,but couldnt get it as its been replaced....with Castrol SLX III! Apparently,this has more detergents in it,but is a direct replacement for SLX II longlife oil. I would have thought it would be avalible at every VW dealership,as it has the VW logo on the bottle,along with VW Approved Formula,or words to this effect. Worth asking at your local dealer. I paid ?9.84 + vat,from Corkills VW,Southport. It is still 0w 30 as well. Hope this helps. Cheers,Paul.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts

I also use Synta Gold fully synthetic.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To help clairify the isue Volkswagen Driver magazine in the next issue will be running an article on the latest developments regarding the types of oil and their applications

1 - 20 of 26 Posts