Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to see this film today and I really enjoyed it. The action scenes were good without being over the top....apart from the construction site where half a dozen "innocent" workers were killed!

Daniel Craig played the part well. In my opinion on par and probably better than Sean Connery. There is a very good twist in the film and something that I was not expecting. Then again it is a Bond film and all sorts can happen.

Marks out of 10.....8.5 a must see film.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
gotta say i really enjoyed it too! great film! as u say, the action scenes were good. story was good aswell! deffo one to watch

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I thought the same, having read some of the books its nice that a film shows bonds true character, its funny when I read goldfinger I imagined a more rugged sean connery as Bond which Daniel Craig really is, he is a well underated actor. Layer cake was a fantastic film he did as well.

Roll on more Bond with DC!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
hmmm  I think that I would give more of a 7 out of 10, the start of the film was definitely the best bit....   I think they lost the plot at the end of the film and was totally sick of product placement by the end of it... I think that it really sucks to see film companies selling out in this way, yes I know the reality of Money and Marketing is what drives things these days, but clearly it has all gone a bit mad... seeing as everyone in Montegnegro drives a car from the Ford group in one shape or form ... grr and the world is driven by Sony technologies... it got so tedious by the end of the film.....

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Really enjoyed it...the Ford promo vid for the Mondeo (sorry, 'Bahamas scene') was annoying but I glossed over the rest of the product placement. Some brilliant one liners in it...

'Sorry, that last hand almost killed me'

DC: Vodka Martini.
Waiter: Shaken or stired?
DC: Do I look like I give a damn?

...and a darker, more interesting plot. Bit slow in places and slightly incomplete ending, but I do like the way they are trying to add more depth to the character and explain the chip on his shoulder etc. Highly promising for the future and Daniel Craig has exceeded my expactations in the role - knew he was good but couldn't quite picture him as Bond. Glad they didn't go with Clive Owen now as it would have been a much more tradition kind of Bond.

Only problem is I wanna see the next one now!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh yes a good film in my opinion! I would give it around 8 out of 10. The story was good, slightly different approach to the previous films and the action was good but not extremely over the top.

Only thing I was slightly disappointed about was that the obligatory Bond car chase was a little short!

All in all a really good film!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Daniel Craig is one of the most underrated actors in British film for raw ability he is awesome..... everyone esle plays themself more or less, or are one type actors ....

Craig is in another league totally.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
I know I'm going to get slated for this but I just don't see the attraction to the James Bond phenomena.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I know I'm going to get slated for this but I just don't see the attraction to the James Bond phenomena.
are you Gay? [:p]

Seriously though, the films are not always brilliant, but that is not the reason for watching Bond, you do it for the cars, the women, the gadgets... I guess its also something that you grow up with Christmas wasn't Christmas without a bit of Bond on the Telly... I guess its also about the life style that Bond lives, it would be seriously cool ... (well I think it would) lol the reality is probably a lot different, but then thats not the point I guess.... anyway thats the attraction for me.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
I know I'm going to get slated for this but I just don't see the attraction to the James Bond phenomena.
No mate, definately not gay.....ask your missus!! [:p][:p] (no offence meant!![:#])

I grew up with JB films on TV through Xmas and bank holidays and to be fair, at the time, they were pretty good but I just think they've had their day. None of my mates can understand that I don't like JB either!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I grew up with JB films on TV through Xmas and bank holidays and to be fair, at the time, they were pretty good but I just think they've had their day. None of my mates can understand that I don't like JB either!
You may really enjoy the new one then; a definite attempt to move away from the cliched model of old Bond movies, i.e. super villain, various encounters with one big encounter at the end. Its more modern and unpredictable, while still being 'Bond'. They are trying to get much deeper into the Bond character and how he came about than before. Feels weird at first as it's not what you expect from a Bond movie and the flow is slightly odd, but I enjoyed it and think the format definetly has legs for the future - interesting to see where they go with it.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
No mate, definately not gay.....ask your missus!! [:p][:p] (no offence meant!![:#])

None taken ... a classic retort if ever there was one... [:D]

I suppose JB has become a bit of a National Institution, I'm not sure that they have had their day, I must admit that they were getting tedious, this film was better than average but not spectacular. It will be interesting to see how he gets on with the next film, thats if he does one?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
i'm quite looking forward to it after these rave reviews

definately love a good bond film (my dad bought the whole lot...just before they came out on dvd, doh!)

quite interested to see what they've done with it but even when bond films aren;t great they;re still a bit of fun

daniel craig has said in a interview that he'd definately be interested in doing another one

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I saw this at the weekend, and must say I was in the "group" that though DC was rubbish, but The film was very enjoyable and DC, I though, was very good. Amy loved it and I can tell as she was awake for the whole film!![:O][:D]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
hmmm I think that I would give more of a 7 out of 10, the start of the film was definitely the best bit.... I think they lost the plot at the end of the film and was totally sick of product placement by the end of it... I think that it really sucks to see film companies selling out in this way, yes I know the reality of Money and Marketing is what drives things these days, but clearly it has all gone a bit mad... seeing as everyone in Montegnegro drives a car from the Ford group in one shape or form ... grr and the world is driven by Sony technologies... it got so tedious by the end of the film.....
Product placement has always been a big part of the films but to have a couple of vehicles and Aston and something for the bad guy is enough,

Yeah even the digger at the beginning was a "Fraud New Holland" and the hire car was a Sepo Fraud Crocus (Sepo = Septic Tank), then the Landrover/Range Rovers everywhere.

Little mention of anything else other than Sony...at the Beach the security DVD system was probably the chassis for a Sony Blu Ray recorder due out.

Virgin Atlantic? was the Super Jumbo the Boeing or Airbus?

Overall impression was a 7/10 - too long - reasonable storyline...the twist was good but bring back Q, the gadgets and of course Baddies that want "WORLD DOMINATION" through some over the top yet believble plot not some a dodgy terrorist banker and chronies. Vesper had a certain "butter wouldn;'t melt in my mouth - but have a filthy mind" charisma.

Daniel Craig - good but still think Brosnan pips him to the post

Judi Dench - best M

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Brosnan is the most wooden one dimensional actor I have ever seen.... does he seem any different in any film he has ever been in NO thats because thats all he can .... he is crap and possibly the worst bond of all time...

Cannot understand why anyone likes him..

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Just seen this last night .... WOW cool film with Mr Craig playing a perfect Bond.. I am not into bond films at all and i have never been impressed with the past bond characters ( i have to agree with andymac on Brosnan[N] ) or the story lines , But this one had an edge to it that i felt compelled to go and see..[Y][Y]

If you have not seen it yet ..... Go NOW !

Jay

1 - 20 of 26 Posts