Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was about to fill up the car with fuel and came across this: (taken from money saving expert)

Fill up at night, but don?t overfill.

Petrol
pumps are calibrated by volume, so fill up at night when it?s cold and
you get a miniscule bit extra. This is also a reason not to overfill
the car after the nozzle clunks, as any excess will go out of the
overflow and is wasted.

So it there really no point in continuing to fill up after the 'click'?? If that is the case I have probably been wasting approx ?1-2 every time i fill up [:'(]

Any thoughts guy's

·
Registered
178 Posts
lol that web site is quite funny.

So if ?1-?2 of fuel was overflowing you would know about it cos you would a large patch of it on the floor.

And really the difference in fuel volume between day and night saving you money? Seriously! Im sure the machines arnt even 100% acurate anyway. eg. topping up in pennies to get to an even ?10 the machine cant be that accurate all the time.

There are some good tips on that site but some of the writers really need to get out more!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Ok so I was about to fill up the car with fuel and came across this: (taken from money saving expert)

Fill up at night, but don?t overfill.

Petrol pumps are calibrated by volume, so fill up at night when it?s cold and you get a miniscule bit extra. This is also a reason not to overfill the car after the nozzle clunks, as any excess will go out of the overflow and is wasted.

So it there really no point in continuing to fill up after the 'click'?? If that is the case I have probably been wasting approx ?1-2 every time i fill up [:'(]

Any thoughts guy's
So, where does the ?2 go?

On the ground? Er, I think we would spot that.
Back into the pump? Even Shell couldn't get away with charging you for fuel they took back.

As written, it's utter nonsense. I guess if you overfill then drive off, the fuel can spill out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So when im tank venting :))i should get ?3/4 in extra:))...another 50 miles...must keep a eye on this..

Although the prncipal is true of fuel ..as the later the fueling of JET A 1 for aircraft ,evening fueling is much more economical ..if u want more in depth ill bore u all to death with technical data of aircraft jet engines:)).There similar to TDI vehicles...they perform and are economically better at 0 degrees than 25 degrees.

Anyway onward and downward.

·
Registered
178 Posts
In that case Money Saving expert should post up a new story. "ensure you visit the toilet before driving" lighter driver = lighter car = better ecconomy. [:D]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I am a great fan of "Venting" & doing any thing from 500-700 miles a week it really helps avoid extra filling station trips.

I filled up this morning, the needle was on the last qtr bar & I put ?50's worth in, or 55ltr as it was. The tank is only 60ltrs "officialy", but I'd say it will take more like 70ltrs when vented.

As for filling past the click & it going through the overflow, thats on the outside of the filler hole, so you should see it spilling out anyway when filling.

Once you have "Clicked", press the nozzle on to the little notch button on the left of the filling hole, this will then allow the air to escape whilst filling, thus avoiding any extra unwanted "Clicking"

Posted Image

I wound suggest doing this if you a low milage user, some say it may not be a good idea due to fuel expansion when its warmer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The overflow hole is just below the filling nozzle hole (I think) so only if it brims out completly from the nozzle hole that you loose petrol.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Venting - pressing the button inside the filler nozzle, 'vent's air, or
releases air out of the reserve tank. Releasing this air allows u
to put more fuel into the car.

U can put upto another ?5 or there abouts, roughly a gallon extra...

A gallon could be as much as 60 extra miles for a diesel

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I am a great fan of "Venting" & doing any thing from 500-700 miles a week it really helps avoid extra filling station trips.

I filled up this morning, the needle was on the last qtr
bar & I put ?50's worth in, or 55ltr as it was. The tank is
only 60ltrs "officialy", but I'd say it will take more like 70ltrs when
vented.

As for filling past the click & it going through the overflow,
thats on the outside of the filler hole, so you should see it spilling
out anyway when filling.

Once you have "Clicked", press the nozzle on to the little notch
button on the left of the filling hole, this will then allow the air to
escape whilst filling, thus avoiding any extra unwanted "Clicking"

I wound suggest doing this if you a low milage user, some say it may not be a good idea due to fuel expansion when its warmer.
I do this often, and usually get 600- 700 miles out of a fuller tank! I
do loads of miles at the moment - but as Jace says wouldn't suggest it
for low mileage drivers, but its good when your off for a long trip!

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Venting - pressing the button inside the filler nozzle, 'vent's air, or
releases air out of the reserve tank. Releasing this air allows u
to put more fuel into the car.

U can put upto another ?5 or there abouts, roughly a gallon extra...

A gallon could be as much as 60 extra miles for a diesel
oh ok nice one never knew that, no use to me though as my tanks only about 40 odd litres an i do short journeys.

Thanks Sat

·
Registered
322 Posts
It says in the owners manual not to go past the click as it buggers the engine up, or something like that. So I don't bother I just take it to the click.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Unless you're going on a long journey the best way to achieve good fuel figures is to only fill the tank half way, this means you carry around something like 25 kilos less fuel, also try to fill up when you're going past a filling station, don't make a special journey for fuel. I can't see that " venting " is a good idea, it may seem like you put more fuel in but as it says above you will loose some, especially when cornering or braking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts