Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just driven my car for the 1st time with the carbonio fitted[:D] Had no problems with tickover or anything else.It seems so much smother and responsive.If anyones thinking bout getting one my advice would be ok its quite expensive but well worth the money it changes the car so much.Also Sarah At Awesome was very helpful with advice bout fitting it so thanks again sarah

·
Registered
881 Posts
Fitted mine last week, sounds wicked, has been described on here before as 'darth vader with a cold' couldnt agree more! love the whooshing noise when you take your foot off the throttle! [:D]

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
sounds amazing i cant wait to get mine i collect my 1.8T on saterday and that will be the first thing going on it, do awesome offer any discount to us forum members? how much did you pay?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Not too sure on discount for forum members to be honest.

Awsome sell them for about ?165 + vat, it comes to ?204 delivered, quite expensive really but they do sound really good!

·
Registered
333 Posts
where do they sit in the engine bay??

Dont they sit quite low down close to the road and 'puddles' ?.... Making it extremely easy for the 1.8t engine to suck water into the engine and knacker it.

Quick and expensive way to knacker you engine if you ask me

Panel filters are the better option.... far less risky imo

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
[Y] Nice one!!!

Glad you managed this ok.

Fiddly , but well worth it......mmmm you know I want one for my Fabia 1.9TDi 100PD

May have to get one to fit it....

Glad you all like it....I love them...they do sound "Awesome" and you also said , look sweeeeet to..

Sarah

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
where do they sit in the engine bay??

Dont they sit quite low down close to the road and 'puddles' ?.... Making it extremely easy for the 1.8t engine to suck water into the engine and knacker it.

Quick and expensive way to knacker you engine if you ask me

Panel filters are the better option.... far less risky imo
I have had my Evo cai fitted since may and have driven it in perfect weather through to heavy rain with standing water on the road and it has been fine.

As the carbonio water ingestion faq says, you'd have to drive it into 15" deep standing water to get it to ingest water ! I know dannyboy's has recently fubared his engine but I get the impression he was crossing perhaps a shallow ford or stream acros the road ?

Still, it pays to be careful when there is lots of water on the road, so just be careful with any large amounts of water on the road, as you would if you didn't have cai fitted what with aquaplaning and such like. In average conditions, you'll be fine.

One slight point I have noticed is the water that runs down the side of the engine bay when it's raining or your washing the car.. the water drips straight onto the cai pipe, then runs down over the filter and onto the road. I'd suggest that'd be more of an issue.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Hi Joe

The K&N one is an induction kit and is not a CAI

CAI`s have the filters at the front of the car with the filter at the bottom and induction kist have the filter inside the engine bay with a pipe blowing cold air on to it.

The ABD racing one , it is very nice , my son has one on his car , I dont think the sound is as deep and it is stainless steel.

My preference is carbon fibre and it could keep a little more cooler to keep the intake temps low

Hope that helps

Sarah

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Hi Sarah, joe here i was just wondering what the difference is in the Carbonio to other CAI's such as K&N, ABD Racing etc?
The carbonio has a carbon fibre intake tube. Looks good but does add to the price somewhat. Think the ABD has a chrome or metal "coloured" intake pipe.

·
Registered
333 Posts
This will NOT knacker anything
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1155736

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2454748

It will if you run through a puddle any deeper than a 1/2 a foot

On vwvortex there are a few people who have bent rods, foobard their engine running the CAI kits.... And im sure there are a few examples on here too.

Im not saying they are really bad..... just for people who live where the weather is predominantly wet (UK) to be carefull of puddles when running them.... otherwise they could be looking at a hefty bill.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2145901

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2923999

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Right I have read them.

Still not convinced.

With the pic where the CAI is mounted and someone asked the question about other problems you would get...I agree

The CAI filter sits above the bottom of the door , so if it was that deep then water would be coming in through the door , would you really drive your car through a puddle that deep.

I am sorry I have driven in some cra**y weather going over Woodhead pass and I WANT ONE FOR MY CAR

My son has one on his MK4 Golf they do not cause issues and I dont think then liks prooved it to me.

One of them was a woman who drove it through a puddle and half the inner wing got damaged......sorry

Sarah

The day

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I've had my carbonio on for over 2 years now.

So far so good!

Touch wood, fingers crossed and all that.

As long as your cafefull when going anywhere near water you'll be fine.

I was once driving along the A127 in torrential (sp) rain for about 30min.

I mean the water was above the kerb, i just kept the speed down.

If your going to drive over a large amount of water don't accelerate, therefore you won't suck any water, however if it is deep, then the filter may get wet.

There's no doubt that you are more at risk by having a Cai fitted, you just have to be carefull.

Well that's my 2p worth.

Good luck

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi Guys, and Sarah, [;)]

Had my Carbonio fitted at Awesome 2 weeks ago, ( Yeah it's been that long since I brought you a cake Sarah!) And it is fantastic, we've had torrential rain oop norf and no worries at all, been to the lakes and taken it through some of the worst weather and best roads in the country and I'm soooo impressed..... And as for you turbo drivers, you think the it sounds good? Listen to a V5 with one on.....mmmmmmm...... [:)]

Prawny

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
sounds amazing i cant wait to get mine i collect my 1.8T on saterday and that will be the first thing going on it, do awesome offer any discount to us forum members? how much did you pay?
Went looking for cars yesterday and some how managed to buy a 04 plate 180 1.8T with 15,000 on the clock for ?9,995 i couldnt belive it i love having 6 gears! ordered my Carbonio on friday cant wait to get it fitted. im a little scared hearing some peoples stories, is there anyway to try shield the air filter from where the water would come from ? with a heat sheild or something? how easy is it to fit? does it come with full instructions?

Thanks Steve

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The way they are designed i don't think you can.

The idea i that the air that goes through the n/s front vent goes directlly into the air filter, if you were to put a shield near or around it to stop water induction it would then defeat the point.

If you do manage to come up with something please let us know, we be a nice little bit of extra safety.

Also, congrats on the new purchase, i'm sure you'll love it!

·
Registered
2,520 Posts

The idea i that the air that goes through the n/s front vent goes directlly into the air filter, if you were to put a shield near or around it to stop water induction it would then defeat the point.

If you do manage to come up with something please let us know, we be a nice little bit of extra safety.

One of my friends just advised to keep the filter oiled at all times that will reduce the chance of water getting in. i havent got it yet so im not sure how to modify it,just like you said i just want some extra security, especially as it always seems to be raining!!! yea the cars great thanks!

·
Registered
337 Posts

On the Focus RS the K&N induction kit sits low in the engine bay and to help stop water being sucked in they come with a sock thing called a drycharger, I don't know what they are made of though. You can see a bad picture of it here http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57i-2502

Chris

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Please dont keep it oiled mate, the oil is known to kill MAFs (gets warm n evaporates off n coats the hot wire in the MAF) should keep it dry, or at best just coat the very outer outward facing edge with oil.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts