Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Carbonio has a K&N cone filter fitted as standard, but can you replace/or has anyone replaced the K&N with a Green filter? [:^)]

If so, how much did it set you back and where would be a good place to get one? [;)]

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm taking it no-one has changed then.... Hmm, that's strange. I would have thought most would prefer a different filter to the K&N! [:^)]

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
Hi

We do not deal with Carbonio , but we have been doing the Lan pipes.

These are the Stainless Steel ones.

We put the Green Cotton on the end of these.

The one we use retails for ?45.95 + VAT

We deal alot with Green Cotton as they are a VERY good filter.

Let me know if I can help.

Sarah

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm taking it no-one has changed then.... Hmm, that's strange. I would have thought most would prefer a different filter to the K&N! [:^)]
I have supplied a few of these to peeps as replacement. Larger Green Powercone filters.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got the larger Green Cotton filter on mine. Its a squeeze but fits no problems
Was that a change you made straight away, and discarded the K&N unused, or did you run the Carbonio temporarily with the K&N before fitting the Green one?

If so is there any difference, performance/soundwise? [:^)]

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm interested in these questions too, how much is the replacement Green cone Bill? And also can you put other makes on as I fancy putting a Blitz stainless mesh cone filter on... does anyone know where you can get them just the cone filter on its own not a kit?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I wouldn't have expected any noticeable difference as the cone filters on most upgrade induction systems probably have more airflow capacity than can be used by the intake (I haven't taken measurements, but it would be some pretty stupid engineering to fit a filter that restricts the flow to these rather expensive, large bore, mandrel-bent tubes). More filter area after a certain point simply gives higher dust load up tolerance. You can drink faster using two straws rather than one, but change the straw for a drainpipe and your mouth becomes the limit!

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
I wouldn't have expected any noticeable difference as the cone filters on most upgrade induction systems probably have more airflow capacity than can be used by the intake (I haven't taken measurements, but it would be some pretty stupid engineering to fit a filter that restricts the flow to these rather expensive, large bore, mandrel-bent tubes). More filter area after a certain point simply gives higher dust load up tolerance. You can drink faster using two straws rather than one, but change the straw for a drainpipe and your mouth becomes the limit!
Well my motor is sucking in 220 litres or 48 gallons of air per second. I want the biggest filter I can lay my hands on!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Well my motor is sucking in 220 litres or 48 gallons of air per second. I want the biggest filter I can lay my hands on!
Right, so if your car is sucking in that muc hair where is it all going ?

Lets say 3500 (rpm - roughly )/ 60 = 58.3 revs per second. So 1.8 litres of air and petrol per rev ? (is that right ?) 58.3 x 1.8 = 104.94 litres of air per second being used ?

All this has been completely guessed by me so it's probably wrong.. is the extra caused by your ihi sucking in more air, John ?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Right, so if your car is sucking in that muc hair where is it all going ?

Lets say 3500 (rpm - roughly )/ 60 = 58.3 revs per second. So 1.8
litres of air and petrol per rev ? (is that right ?) 58.3 x 1.8 =
104.94 litres of air per second being used ?

All this has been completely guessed by me so it's probably wrong.. is the extra caused by your ihi sucking in more air, John ?
Remember the air is also being compressed, your calc's will only be good for a n/a engine at atmospheric pressure.

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Your engine only sucks in half it's cubic capacity per rev. (4 stroke engine), so 0.9l/rev, but if you run 1 bar boost pressure it'll ingest 1.8l/rev. At 6000rpm, thats 100revs/sec so 180l/s.

The more boost you run the more air it takes in. If you want to do a conversion from the 170-180g/s peak airflow that a ko3s car pulls in, air has a density of around 1.2kg/m3 at 20C, so 180g/s is about 150litres/sec.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
John

I know your TDI isn't a complete priority to you, but whats's your view on induction kits on the TDI motor? I have a Carbonio but it was taken off when I was having problems with the hybrid. Is it worth bothering with, given that the diesel doesn't need as much air? I have standard box/filter ATM.

James

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Hey James.

How is yours at the moment. Hopefully your problems are sorted?

Induction kits as a whole aren't going to do a great deal, but anything you can do to reduce pressure drop on the inlet side to the turbo will gain a lot more than post turbo pressure loss.

If you're compressing air to 2.5 bar from 0.9 bar, you have a pressure ratio of 2.5/0.9=2.777.

If you're compressing air to 2.5 bar from 0.95bar, you have a pressure ratio if 2.5/0.95=2.63.

So by saving 0.05 bar on the inlet side of the turbo, you could gain 2.777*.95=2.63 bar, so you can gain 0.13 bar pressure side for 0.05 bar saving on the intake side and still run at the same pressure ratio.

In other words, any saving you make in pressure drop on the intake side is worth 2 to 3 times that on the pressure side.

But. The standard air box, smoothed with a big air intake duct is probably as good as you can get. It could be worth looking at intake piping as a whole though between the maf and the turbo. It's amazing how much pressure drop a bend just before the compresser inlet makes. You realy want 6 diameters in length of straight pipe into the turbo inlet for laminar flow, and low pressure drop. Location of the turbo doesn't help though.

If you wonder why I'm so coherent at midnight on a saturday, it's because it's only 7pm here in NYC.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts