Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the minute this is just an idea as i've seen a carbon bonnet for sale in the classifieds and some little so n so just keyed a nice deep 6 inch scratch in my bonnet.

What do people think to the idea of a Carbon Bonnet on a Green MkIV with Rieger R-RS front and rear valences and anni sideskirts, plus hella RBBR's (thanks to Baker21 for those, great service) debadged boot and TT 6 spoke wheels.. I cant quite decide if the carbon would fit with the look of the car and i dont wanna make a mistake, all opinions welcome as i havent made my mind up yet.

And i will post pics up of how my car looks now just as soon as i work out how!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i do agree with you, although i just think it would look different set my car apart a bit, but at the same time i dont want to stray to far from OEM. Anyone got any pictures of OEM style carbon bonnets fitted to a MkIV, even better a green MkIV. Keep the opinions coming people.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I must say that if I were keeping my golf/getting a new one, for that money a CF boser would be a sure bet! Not sure it would work on your green golf though, would look refreshingly different on a silver or grey one though!

Dare to be different! But keep it oem++ [:D]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah thats my thoughts really, i like the idea of a CF Bonnet but its just whether the Black/Grey of the carbon would look right against dark green, i haven't colour coded my rub strips and have black mesh in the rear valence so there is a green/black feel to the car which i do like but not sure if the bonnet would be too much. Anyone got any pics or a possible quick photoshop job?

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Thought this looked good when I saw it in the Classifieds, think it would work better on a silver car though [:(]

If you did go for it you should match the rub strips with smooth black ones to get rid of the clashing textures

·
Registered
438 Posts
Knocked a quick one out on dubmodder. I know the green is probably different and the wheels arn't exact, but it gives you a rough idea how it could look!

Posted Image

Peter

·
Registered
602 Posts
Knocked a quick one out on dubmodder. I know the green is probably different and the wheels arn't exact, but it gives you a rough idea how it could look!

Posted Image

Peter
^^^^^ That actually looks quite good, I like it dont know whether i would have the courage to do it to my car though. Keep your old bonnet and give it a go, you can always put back to standard later.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Its very hit or miss with CF hoods. I was looking at the one in the classifieds too. Its looks really good and i think it would REALLY suit my car, but ive got the problem that i would need the badge in-fill cutout on the bonnet got rid of, and that aint possible due to the CF. DOH.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys and i do like the look of that quick one done in Dubmodder and i think my darker green maybe even better, although i think the bonnet in the classifieds is stock not boser (IIRC).

@Cat i like the sound of your rubstrips think it would really tie in the look, also toying with the idea of a Black B-Pillar or maybe a Black Grill (as mike says above it would have to be stock not badgeless because u cant fill in the notch on CF).

Im really considerin this now especially since he's not far away. Does anyone know if i would need bonnet pins? and would the gas strut not be a bit too much for such a light bonnet.

Keep the opinions coming.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys and i do like the look of that quick one done in Dubmodder and i think my darker green maybe even better, although i think the bonnet in the classifieds is stock not boser (IIRC).

@Cat i like the sound of your rubstrips think it would really tie in the look, also toying with the idea of a Black B-Pillar or maybe a Black Grill (as mike says above it would have to be stock not badgeless because u cant fill in the notch on CF).

Im really considerin this now especially since he's not far away. Does anyone know if i would need bonnet pins? and would the gas strut not be a bit too much for such a light bonnet.

also worth bearing in mind is what happens to the washers jets? i presume it would still all be like OEM? You just dont know with some of this after market stuff. Worth asking the question anyway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah good point with the washer jets Mike they had totally slipped my mind that may need some checking.. I PM'd the seller and he told me it has the mounting points for the hinges and such like and that it has been moulded from the standard item (certainly looks that way in the pic too), the idea is certainly growing on me now and i guess i can always sell on if i dont like it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I am looking into buying a carbon fiber boser (badboy) bonnet for my black 1.8T. Does anyone know of a UK company that sells these? I have alredy contacted some american companys but they wont ship to the UK.

Thanks

·
Registered
873 Posts

You do need bonnet pins as the bonnet is light and the catch isn't strong enough to hold it at high speeds. Although some are tested to 150mph. Depends on make.

The strut shouldnt be a problem.... It only extends to a certain hight, and slowly, so its not as if its gunna shoot it in the air.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Hey, personaly i think carbon bonnets look cool, so long as other mods complement it and tie in, i found a pic of a green one, to give you an idea. i was browsing about for carbon bonnets, thats why i have seen this thread, apologies if it is months old

joN

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
does anyone know where to get them, i want a CF standard bonnet but filled in, i do like the bad boy but think i would prefer to mesh the grill and show all of it. 

1 - 20 of 26 Posts