Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

As in the subject is the car I want to buy worth ?3925?

Its a 5dr 1.8T which has done 49000m with FSH. Its in immac condition with 17" wheels. Its on a T plate 1999.

Thnx

Karwing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good good! Thats what I like to hear, although I got to check to see whether this guy is true to his word in the description he gave me. Pic of car below :)

How can you check to see whether a car has been written off before? Ring up an insurance company with Reg?

Karwing

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Get a HPI report done on it. Its about 1.5k too cheap if you ask me. Also, why hasn't it been snapped up yet? Don't let the money rule your head, but if thats completely ok, it will go quick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just checked My Car Data check and found out that the car is a cat c write off! :( He didnt tell me that........

Thats why its so cheap then.......... what are write offs worth?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
about 3 probably if that , you'll never be able to trade it in and resale will be bad as most people will walk away as soon as they find out it's a cat c. Unless you're lucky and get someone who doesn't chek

one the colour isn#'t the best, it's a five door and it's history will put a lot off

edit - hell i might as well buy it for the engine then break it ! where is it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hehe should of done a check first I guess, silly me! Too trusting of ppl! I guess you learn from you're mistakes though!
Car in stockport

I will ring him now and see what he says.......

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Should tell him its illegal to sell a car as Cat C and offer him 3 grand. [:)]

Cat C us a complete write off that is too costly to repair and it will require inspections should it be put back on the road. He should have all the documents and certificates etc.

You shoudl ALWAYS mention it when selling, if they dont they are hiding it for some reason. It probably isnt the same engine that it started out with if it was a complete write off.

I reckon it would have had back end damge though, looking at the pics, the front lip is colour coded, the rear isnt.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Just asked if it was still for sale and got this as a reply !

'I still have my golf and will now sell it privately as ebay seems to have to many timewasters'.

would help if he told the truth otherwise he will get his time wasted !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
this guy is total asshole then!

I rang him not long ago and told him his car was a cat c write off and I was told that he will check it out himself etc and get back to me......

Gotta cancel my train tickets now! Hope I dont lose out on much!

Karwing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He just rang me back and said that he had no knowledge of it and "at least he knows now."

He said that he would consider ?3500 but not ?3000......

Im out of pocket by ?55.50 now because the tickets are non refundable apparently! :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.