Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turning the key as usual and there's nothing - I can hear what I think is the petrol pump doing it's job but the starter motor doesn't even try and do anything.

Anyone got any ideas what I can check for to diagnose the problem?

Bit of background info - I haven't been using the car much recently, I'm trying to sell it and it's been sitting in my garage. Decided on Friday to replace window regulator clips in both doors as I knew the passenger was about to go "twang!" Did the fixes and when I was finished tested the windows (far too many times!!) and the stereo was also on - It totally slipped my mind about draining the battery.

Anyway I tried to start it and the battery was flat as a fart - my clock and everything else died as the battery gave up. Put it on charge for a while then it started fine so I took it out on a spin for a while - about half an hours worth and everything was ok. Parked her back in the garage and thought that was the end of it.

Went to use it Saturday morning and it wouldn't start - thought the battery must have lost its charge so stuck it on charge all day - it's now fully charged and everything's working electrically with the car but it just won't start [:mad:] This can't just be coincidence surely!?

Help me please!!

P.S. I haven't tried bump starting it yet but I might do that tomorrow unless anyone can suggest anything else?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Only thing i would suggest mate it to try and bump it. If it
starts then let it run for a while or take it for a good half hour
journey then when back at the house turn it off, leave for 15 mintues
then try to start it. If it turns but doesnt catch it may be the
starter but if it still dont do anything then its probs the
battery. Is there any lights up on the dash?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
starter motor doesn't even turn at all mate - haven't had any problems starting before now - if it was the starter motor I would've noticed it slowly failing wouldn't I? Or would it just pack in completely out of the blue and refuse to try!? Since it's not even trying I'm assuming the problerm lies in the system somewhere before the starter motor - which would suggest the battery but like I say the battery seems to be fine! I'm confused!!!!

All the lights and everything on my instrument cluster work fine - none of them are lit up as a warning or anything tho.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope - just standard imobiliser mate - and when that kicks in I think  you get the "IMMOB" or something similar flashing message on your little computer screen - I haven't got that warning.  Good question tho - cheers!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I had a MkII Golf last week and it wouldn't start in the morning, a friend suggested hitting the starter motor with a hammer!

·
Registered
287 Posts
sounds like the battery is not got any charge - bump start it (not ideal but it appears you do not ave many other options)

Once you get it started, and the car is running, put a multi-meter onto the battery, you should read about 13.5 to 14V, any less than that and your Alternator isn;t putting out enough current to charge the battery.

If you read 13.5 to 14V constantly, take the car for a GOOD run, MINIMUM 30 minutes of 50mph+. Then when you get back, put the multi meter back on (with the engine running) then switch off the engine. The battery should still read a minimum of 12V. Any less than this, then he battery isn't holding a charge and needs replaced.

hope this helps (I hate all these acronyms so I write everything out)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Try it with the bonnet open, even with a flat battery you should hear the solonoid click on the starter.

I had a replacement gearbox under warranty and everything was fine until about a year ago, when I started having starting issues. Bought a recon starter motor and in the process of removing the original I discovered that the VW dealer had neatly cable tied the cables back in place to the starter, but too tightly and the trigger wire to the solonoid had chaffed through. Solder and heatshrink sleaving fix and the re-con starter went back for a refund.

If you have the tools (DVM test meter or automotive 12v diag lamp) and some asistance you could unplug the trigger wire and confirm that it is getting 12V to trigger the solonoid which controls the power to the actual starter motor.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Just to rule out the battery, try the following:

Try to start the car, does the mileage display and clock display disapear?

Also try this with the headlights on.

If you have the orginal battery, you need a new one. The fact mines lasted 6 years is a miracle... One day soon mines gonna go!!

If the display is OK then it's not the battery.

When the MKIVs battery is flat, sometimes you won't hear anything apart from the fuel pump being primed, happened to mw last summer.

Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got to my car this morning and the clock had reset itself and the interior lights were really dim. Tried to start the car, I could here it trying to tick over but it just didn?t have enough juice to start.[:(] I jump started it and ran it for a couple of miles to the cinema, when I came back out to my car the battery had died (again) [:'(]. It needed a quick touch from some jump leads and it was fine. My car is a 1998 MkIV and I think it?s on its original battery?..have to pay a visit to the stealers ? great!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

When a battery pops its clogs is it a progressive or sudden death?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yeah mate it's the battery.

Get yourself a new one. Standard expected life of these batteries is about 4-5yrs. Mines 6yrs old and still OK but I'm expecting it to go anytime!

Have a look in a Euro-car parts and get a Bosch Silver (great batteries).

Only reason I haven't got one yet in mine is beacuae I'm trying to figure out what the lasrgest capacity battery is I can fit in the space!

Malc

·
Registered
470 Posts
You could also go for Unipart Samson battery. They do one which is
guaranteed for as long as you keep the car and I don't think that
they're much dearer than a Bosch one. Depends on how long you are
planning on keeping the car though I suppose.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cheers lads, sorted it last night turns out it was the battery - it had enough charge for everything to work electrically but just wouldn't even try and start! Jump started it and took it for a massive drive now everything's fine.

looks like my battery charger doesn't work - I suspected my dad had broken it last year but hadn't needed it since, I just assumed it had charged the battery - I would have tested it but guess what my multimeter's also broken!

anyway problem's solved now - but just realised I've got another one which must be an after effect of my window regulator clip fix - but that's for another thread.......

·
Registered
539 Posts
Mate to be blunt...

BUY A NEW BATTERY!!!!

Your battery WILL let you down again. In winter is it worth the risk for the price of a tank of petrol!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a Bosch (063UR) battery for ?41......car starts everytime without any hesitation. i now have peace of mind especially with 'the coldest winter ever' approaching.

·
Registered
641 Posts
It seems I read this too late. People saying try bump starting it but never do this as it force large amounts of exhaust gases through the cat at one time and can sometimes ruin it.

Used to work in a independent car parts shop and had a few cats rejected under warranty because they could tell that the car had either back fired or jump started.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Blooming heck... I bought a Bosch Silver battery from GSF yesterday.

Have a receipt for a 50A one, actually have a 55A battery, one in my Golf is 60A! Typical, worse news is I have to drive back to Manchester to exchange it... I had hoped GSF would have given me the correct battery, idiots! I couldn't check as I was there in my MKIII!

So off to Euro car parts tomrrow night as they're local. Bet they're cheaper as well...

Malc

1 - 19 of 19 Posts